Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 03:39:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318971 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tokitowa - Time and Eternity (third person 2D/3D RPG, imageepoch, PS3) announced
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Print
Author Topic: Tokitowa - Time and Eternity (third person 2D/3D RPG, imageepoch, PS3) announced  (Read 19269 times)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: July 23, 2013, 12:49:54 AM »

Wow, some brave soul actually finished this game!

That's what they pay playtesters to do.
I'll play just about any JRPG and I am not going to go any where near this one. Only way I'd maybe play it is if its was gift, and even then I would probably ebay it.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 23, 2013, 12:57:00 AM »

Well, there's always rentals, though even then I'd only want to do it GameFly style, and it wouldn't be to BEAT but just to see just how bad it is. Worth reminding yourself every so often of how low it can go.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: July 23, 2013, 03:48:36 AM »

That's what they pay playtesters to do.

And then reviewers are paid peanuts to admire to admire they hell we didn't have to go through. Okay, I know it's rare for professional reviewers to finish the games they talk about, but I try to finish mine whenever I can and I happened to have enough time for this one.

It wasn't all that hard to finish. The game is playable, it's just not all that enjoyable because there is just way too much padding. For instance, figuring out the pattern a certain enemy uses so you can counter it, is rather fun. When you slaughter the next one within mere seconds, it feels like an reward. Then the game expects you do it another hundred times or so. It's boring, but you'll get through the monotony if you've been playing RPGs since the beginning of consoles.

The true test of patience are the characters. I've met sheets of paper more three dimensional than they are. I guess the writer wanted their personality to match their appearance.

Edit: I should mention that, as soon as I got fun time magic, I turned down the volume during boss battles and put on Magia from Puella Magi Madoka Magica instead. It made everything better.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:36:31 AM by Tomara » Logged
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: July 23, 2013, 01:21:52 PM »

Well, there's always rentals, though even then I'd only want to do it GameFly style, and it wouldn't be to BEAT but just to see just how bad it is. Worth reminding yourself every so often of how low it can go.

That's what I'm finding weird about this whole situation. It's not actually that horrible. It is playable, it doesn't have overcomplicated gameplay mechanics that barely work, the roundtable discussion thing drops off sharply after the first chapter, the battle system actually gets better with all the skills and the story has twists that I really didn't expect.

Admittedly, Zack/Drake stays kind of creepy and pervy.

This doesn't mean the game is good, not by far, but it's really not as horrible as it's made out to be. It is very much a bargain bin title, and I think it should have had a budget price though. I way prefer it over Dragoneer's Aria, just because that game has an incredibly slow battle system and the game itself runs at a glacial pace.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: