Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 12:10:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327227 Posts in 13399 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Megaupload seized / shut down
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: Megaupload seized / shut down  (Read 8681 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2012, 09:26:36 PM »

I have no doubts it plays some factor, but at the same time i am hard pressed to believe it plays AS BIG a factor as those numbers indicate. For one thing, that article makes a causative assumption out of something that's correlational at best, which is a big no-no if you want to makes statements like that author did. I could just as easily state that sales are dropping because of the heavy handed actions of the recording companies making people not want to support them as much, or that the sales are dropping because of a volatile economy causing consumers to be pickier in what they purchase. There are surely nuggets of truth to be found in such statements, but to attribute a causative factor to them is irresponsible and disingenuous at best.

I'm never for the pro piracy side but neither am I completely anti piracy either, because both sides rely on severe straw men arguments so much that I'm shocked none of them vomit hay on a daily basis. However, the truth is while the worst thing pro piracy advocates can be accused of being are thieves, the anti piracy side can be accused of being tyrants and oppressors. Which is the lesser evil here?

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2012, 10:20:19 PM »

One thing we could do, and maybe I will, is calculate the best year of the record industry sales-wise to the worst year piracy-wise. Without doing the math, I can guarantee that pirated copies of music have outpaced sales exponentially.

This would do a few things. First, it would blow a hole in the fallacy, "every illegal download is a lost sale." It would also give us an idea of how many people are actually willing to pay for music. That's really the rub, I think, people have such a glut of options in terms of what to spend their money on that they prioritize.  Factor in the economy, and the ease of pirating a song compared to other media, and you have a perfect storm for why it's so ubiquitous.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
konirash
I want to be acknowledge for who i am.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2012, 02:04:58 AM »

Really angry to SOPA, i have so many uploads on that site. and it all went to dust!

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »

* Annubis casts Scroll of Resurrection on Megaupload

http://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-readies-for-comeback-code-90-done-120923/
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2012, 08:05:05 PM »

* Annubis casts Scroll of Resurrection on Megaupload

http://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-readies-for-comeback-code-90-done-120923/

Is there really any point in coming back? I mean, other people have already taken their place as kings of the digital castle. And most of all, they're sharing the throne instead of letting one get too big for their britches and nearly letting the entire operation fall through the floor when the cops finally decide to do something. And at this point, he should be trying to be more discreet, instead of "bigger and better" (and definitely not announcing it at all). Unless he's bringing back all the files with it (there are a ton of files lost to the internet forever thanks to everyone using Megaupload before), I can't honestly say I care anymore.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 08:43:05 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2012, 09:36:30 PM »

Is there really any point in coming back? I mean, other people have already taken their place as kings of the digital castle.

Actually, no.
Everyone is too stupid and nobody took the throne.
MU conquered it with aggressively low pricing and 0 bullshit.
Everyone else thinks that high prices and bullshit is the way to go.

Watch them come back and take it all.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: