Author Topic: Final Fantasy IX

AuraChannelerChris

• The RPG Adventurer
  • Ultimate RPG Gamer
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy IX
« on: January 24, 2012, 06:49:44 PM »
This is a game I outright love. Even though I literally started loving FF games by playing this one first, I can safely say it's one of the best FF games I've ever played after FFX. So yes, discuss about this specific game.

I started playing FFIX with a new set of discs so that I can finally finish it once. I overleved Garnet right before her Eidolons are taken to use Shiva early. Nice achievement?

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IX
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 06:55:57 PM »
I think if your avatar could go 2 seconds without freezing, that would be a real achievement (sorry, but it's a slide show for me right now and it's starting to get on my nerves).

OT: FFIX is middle of the road for me. I love the story and characters, but I disliked the gameplay. It's too slow, and I don't like how skills are attached to weapons (which FFX did much better IMO, since you can switch out weapons whenever you want).

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 07:09:54 PM »
But in FFIX you could learn the skills, whereas in FFX you couldn't.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 07:13:45 PM »

True, but I'd actually prefer it when you don't learn the skill because then it makes it seem less pointless to me.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 07:14:26 PM »
I don't care much for the grind aspect of it (getting skills), especially since yeah, combat isn't quick, and random battles hamper dungeon progress to the point of annoying.  But hell, getting Excalibur 2 proves you don't need to try too, too hard.

I absolutely loved the world, and loved the mix of myth and animal-people.
I loved Zidane and Steiner too.  A shame Freya and Amarant get shelved so bad.
I also can't help but love the music in Treno, and the read the accents of the NPCs in Conde Petite.

Too many little things to love.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 07:19:13 PM »

True, but I'd actually prefer it when you don't learn the skill because then it makes it seem less pointless to me.
I don't see how, most of the skills you get in FFIX are really useful.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 07:24:44 PM »

I don't see how, most of the skills you get in FFIX are really useful.

Perhaps pointless was the wrong word, but I still prefer FFX's style as it means there's a point to keeping most of your weapons, so you can switch them out when you need them. In FFIX it just means grinding with lesser weapons until you get the skill.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

ShadowLaguna

• Rattle your goddamn head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 08:04:28 PM »
IX has Vivi. X has Tidus. All of your arguments are invalid.

But I've always loved the atmosphere of FFIX. The fact that it's sort of FFVI-like. Also, Amano does some bloody amazing artwork.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 08:32:46 PM »
This is a game I outright love. Even though I literally started loving FF games by playing this one first, I can safely say it's one of the best FF games I've ever played after FFX.

Same here. I'm guilty of not finish IX and X but I have enjoyed them so much. Though, this year is pretty much "the Final Fantasy year" for me since I plan to play those two until the very end along with XIII again and XIII-2.

And after that maybe I buy the remastered version of FFX for PS3, which I hope is the International version.

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 09:38:33 PM »
I liked the skill system since it gave you the skill in advance. The only annoying part was giving you a bunch of summon gems the same time Garnet got sick. Although that was more a pacing problem than the system itself.

As the game as a whole I really loved it when I played it but didn't find it that memorable long term. I tried replaying it a yearish ago and it didn't hold up too well because of the slow battle system. It wasn't even a case of long animations or anything it was just kind of ATB done wrong.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 09:53:12 PM »
There's also the fact that they felt the need to show the small battlefields from ten different angles before actually starting combat.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 09:55:11 PM »
There's also the fact that they felt the need to show the small battlefields from ten different angles before actually starting combat.

That was a nasty of habit of Squeenix in the later PSX years.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 10:01:40 PM »

Gotta mask that load! But it's a problem if you hae to mask it for that long.

That could actually be a factor in how JRPGs diminished in popularity and part of why a lot of people hate random encounters, even if you can easily get out of them that's still time wasted to get into battle.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 10:02:41 PM »
Chocobo hot and cold game. Some like it, others fucking hate it. In any case it definitely took up HOOGE amounts of my time.

Oh yeah, alexander didn't deserve it.

TASTY!

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 01:21:17 AM »
FFIX is an odd game for me...I played it, beat it, remember basically enjoying it at the time, but now I can barely remember anything about it.  It left basically no lasting impression on me, positive or negative.  It was just there...