Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 08:18:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334682 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy IX
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy IX  (Read 3055 times)
RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 03:19:19 AM »

I'm not gonna lie to you, Marge....I fucking love this game.
neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 10:06:09 AM »

The game is quite amazing and has so much natural flow to it that its hard not to fall in love with its world. Ive read somewhere that IX is Sakaguchi's favorite title because its his ultimate vision of what final fantasy should look like and not the direction they are in now.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 02:02:10 PM »

I'm not trolling or anything, and even so Final Finatasy is one of my favorites franchises the only feeling I have for FFIX is disappointment.
I don't like any of the characters and I hate Quina. I didn't like the music, the locations, the fact everyone looks like a dwarf, the plot.
To be fair, I found the skill system interesting, the FMVs were great and the ending song was good.

I've tried playing it a second time on different occasions just to see if I might change my mind about it but yet it didn't do a thing.

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 05:20:44 PM »

I'm not trolling or anything, and even so Final Finatasy is one of my favorites franchises the only feeling I have for FFIX is disappointment.
I don't like any of the characters and I hate Quina. I didn't like the music, the locations, the fact everyone looks like a dwarf, the plot.
To be fair, I found the skill system interesting, the FMVs were great and the ending song was good.

I've tried playing it a second time on different occasions just to see if I might change my mind about it but yet it didn't do a thing.

Your not the only one who feels that way... I am an Final Fantasy-freak, having played through almost every one (including spin-offs) to arrive stateside at least once (no Dirge of Cerb though, I hate anything that even feels like a shooter...).... iX to me just lacked something crucial in the cast and plot that left me totally unimpressed..... I must say, while Amano's illustrative work for this title is some of my favorite that is where my affinity for this one ended... And the song was the only good thing about the ending IMO

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 06:18:52 PM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/finalfantasy9-psn/index.html I enjoyed it a lot. 

Final Fantasy IX is like macaroni and cheese.  It tastes good and you like it, but it's not one of the more exciting or exotic flavors.  It's my favorite of the Playstation FF games, though. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 07:18:10 PM »

Easy there dincrest....don't say things we can't take back so easily. Tactics fans may hear you...they hear everything.

TASTY!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »

Eh?  And what's so bad about what I said?  Final Fantasy IX is a comfort food RPG.  Mac 'n cheese is comfort food, and who can say no to good mac 'n cheese?  (Okay, vegans, the lactose intolerant, and lactose intolerant vegans can, but I digress.)  And, yeah, it was my favorite of the Playstation FF games.  And even in our "Best of the Decade" feature, I put FFIX in my list because from 2000- 2010 is was my favorite FF game.  

I'm not a big SRPG fan to begin with, but Tactics Ogre > Final Fantasy Tactics in my mind.  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:38:56 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 07:40:15 PM »

Eh?  And what's so bad about what I said?  Final Fantasy IX is a comfort food RPG.  Mac 'n cheese is comfort food.  And, yeah, it was my favorite of the Playstation FF games.  And even in our "Best of the Decade" feature, I put FFIX in my list because from 2000- 2010 is was my favorite FF game. 

I'm not a big SRPG fan to begin with, but Tactics Ogre > Final Fantasy Tactics in my mind. 
Not that I knew you to begin with but.....

Man, I don't even know you anymore!

Jokes aside, IX was definitely its own little niche ff title. Each of the other games has its own comparitive notes toward each other, but IX always felt distinguished among them. You say mac and cheese, buy I think a good hearty meatloaf is a better description. Alot of stuff thrown together to form one major mass of deliciousness that some love, others hate, but everyone should at least try once. It always tastes a bit different when you try it again later.

But srsly, ff tactics is bestest ever.

TASTY!
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 07:49:38 PM »

IX felt unique to me in that there was an obvious feeling of magic and fantasy like the first games in the series were. It helps that it's like a first Final Fantasy going into 3D without using hi-tech cities and all that.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 11:25:52 PM »

What I liked about FF9:
The graphics, look really nice on a PS2 with smooth texturing.
The soundtrack.
The variety of skills to learn from items.

What I didn't care much for:
Long loading times before battle.
Tetra Master was a huge step down from Triple Triad.
The plot.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 06:35:46 AM »

I've always thought that FF9 was the best game in the series. My favorite is FF8, but 9 is the most solid, and it has most of everything I love about FF8, but more cleanly done. It was the last and best exploration Final Fantasy, and the last and one of the best soundtracks by Uematsu. I think it's absolutely brilliant, in my top 5 RPGs ever made. Yeah, the load times are pretty bad, but there are some far worse ones on the PS2 (Dragon Quest VIII and Suikoden V to name some of the worst). Somehow, I kinda like the camera angles thing, and I sorta miss it from time to time. Some of the best characters in the series too, every single one but Quina and Amerant are just wonderful and full of unique personality. Also, my favorite villain in the series, and EASILY my favorite plot.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 11:51:47 AM »

I was enjoying the food analogy...
If I were to do one, I'd go with the Elven Lembas Bread, from the lord of the rings. It's somewhat nutricious, can keep your belly full, but you're never truly satisfied.

Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 01:21:49 PM »

FFIX wasn't bad. It was a huge improvement over Final Fantasy VIII.

But still, I could never really get passed the strange cartoon-like design of all the characters. It was really off-putting.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 05:07:24 PM »

One thing I will agree with 100% is that Tetra Master was a definite downgrade from Triple Triad.  Triple Triad made sense.  Tetra Master was a crapshoot.  I did like, though, that enemy cards were automatically procured as spoils as using the "card" command in FF8 made deck building tedious. 

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 05:21:56 PM »

I might be the only man on earth that enjoyed Tetra Master more than Triple Triad. Then again, I played FFVIII when the game was already was like 6 years old and I think that really damage my entire imagine of that game at the time.

Nah! FFVIII is lame. :T
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: