Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 11:17:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334709 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Magic the Gathering (card game)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Magic the Gathering (card game)  (Read 1744 times)
Kup

« on: January 25, 2012, 04:20:25 AM »

I had a little search around this forum and couldn't find anything relevant that was recent.

Are their any Magic players in this forum?  I've recently started playing again due to my money situation being a little better so would love to discuss various topics about the game with other players.

So, if anyone does play (mainly the 2011 deck and up) what colour deck do you usually play, are there any awesome cards you never go without, any tournament players?

I'll kick things off a little.  Yesterday at work I played a tournament match against a work buddy (we have a huge tournament on the go at the moment with most people in the office taking part!).  I was using a Black / White deck and he was using a Blue / Green deck.  The match was pretty lengthy - lasting about 1 hour and a half.

The last turn saw me take 1 damage, which killed me since I only had 1 HP.  However if I had managed to block that with a creature (which I couldn't since he instant killed it that turn) he would have been unable to draw a card and therefore would have lost - it was down to the wire.

In terms of card games, it was pretty epic, with a group of people huddled around my desk watching us - nobody knew what was going to happen.  Probably the most epic game I've played so far.  We have our second match today - pretty excited.

It will be interesting to see where this thread goes...
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:10:06 AM »

I would play M:TG if it wasn't so god damn expensive. My friend's younger brother plays competitively and usually ends up with entire play sets of each new release. I get my fix every time I visit NH for a few days.

Otherwise, I play Warmachine and Pathfinder.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:15:14 AM »

Why is this game back all of a sudden.  You are now a 3rd party who's sort of gotten back into it. xD

I have cards, my bro and I collected 'em.  We barely do anything with them now, and we got really good at flicking cards with them, to the point it hurt.

I think it's great what stays in though.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 11:21:13 AM »

I used to be pretty heavy into M:tG.  I ran an extended deck when both Rath Block and Invasion Block were both legal that involved the use of Kavus, Pandemonium, and Aluren.  You essentially got repeatable, free pings.  Fill the rest of the deck with weenies and call it a day.  Was always quite fun.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 11:40:42 AM »

I made a Type 1 (Vintage now?) deck that could infinitely deck any number of players on turn one. I used to bring it to round table games and piss everyone off.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 11:50:28 AM »

I had great fun with this back in the day (7th-8th grade) when it first came out. Then someone stole my deck from my locker at school and I said "fuck it."

I thought it was a great game, but the amount of expansions and new cards would be absolutely overwhelming now to get back into. I also loved some of the art on the cards.
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 12:14:52 PM »

Used to play this a lot in highschool. Haven't done so much since then though. The elf/merfolk deck that kicked everyone's ass at my highschool doesn't really hold up as well anymore and I'm too cheap/lazy to fix it. Though I did enter a draft tournament once I hadn't slept in two days before that one though, and it started out great I won my first 2-3 matches and then started falling asleep good times.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 12:25:30 PM »

I expressed an interest in this game to Hugh. He shot me a dirty look and smacked me upside the head.

I guess that's a no then.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 12:45:35 PM »

I expressed an interest in this game to Hugh. He shot me a dirty look and smacked me upside the head.

I'd smack him upside the head back.

Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 12:50:27 PM »

We see who wears the pants in that relationship.

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 12:54:10 PM »

Not surprised, MtG is an amazing money vacuum. All they have to do is let word loose that there's some new uber rare card out for certain people to start falling over themselves to part with their cash. Quite genius really.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 01:03:28 PM »

Genius is also the Spyro: Skylanders.  A game and toys all in one.  Crafty marketers.

No one did Pokemon cards? :P
I love trading cards, but it's never something I followed other than look at other peeps.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 01:23:48 PM »

I played Pokemon for a while, but everyone I knew that played was just godawful. I got bored cause i never lost.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 01:37:11 PM »

We see who wears the pants in that relationship.

Seriously.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 03:47:19 PM »

I started playing when the Lorwyn Block came out (around 2008 was it?). My husband got me into the game - he played ages ago casually and thought I might like the fantasy settings, gameplay and art. I did :)  We played standard for a little while but found it frustating and expensive to keep up with all the net-decked $500 decks that showed up even at supposedly casual FNMs.

These days we have a large pool of casual players to play multiplayer games (its a Two-Headed Giant variant, free-for-all or Star) and we buy a box of each new set that comes out to play with. Its a lot more fun this way and we each have constructed our own collections of decks (my decks are mine and his decks are his). I have about 40 decks and he has about 60 (mine are higher quality though - I update them regularly).

Fortunately, we have different colour tastes so we can split the cards nicely. I tend to be more into creature-based decks, and tend to be heavily into White, Green and Blue. He tends to play a lot of black and likes combos. We also have different tastes in tribes too - he likes the icky stuff like goblins, zombies, oozes, etc...

He is known as a combo player in our casual group. I am known for my sneaky style of play and for having decks that seem to have an answer to everything.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: