Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 11:48:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329396 Posts in 13492 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Next 10 years of Mega Man being discussed by "Top Men" at Capcom
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Next 10 years of Mega Man being discussed by "Top Men" at Capcom  (Read 14813 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2012, 08:07:51 PM »

At least Mega Man is getting something. Metroid didn't get anything for it's anniversary last year...

With Nintendo this silence means there's the possibility they'll do a new game that quietly ignores Other M.

With Capcom this is like a spit in the face after MML3 got canned. So, no, "at least it's getting something" won't cut it here.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2012, 12:42:56 AM »

Last I checked, Metroid spent almost an entire decade sitting on a shelf once before, it can do so again for all I care (especially after the unfettered garbage known as MOM). And if you really want another Prime game there's always the Halo series (with the added bonus of not having the main character turned into a completely incompetent and massively fetishized chick with absolutely no agency whatsoever).

But we got 4 Primes games already man. Why would I want another one?

Edit: It also didn't help matters that the guy who wrote the series since the very beginning went on record to state that the fetid pile of compost that is MOM was his masterpiece.

Yeah I know, I've read huge articles about that but it doesn't change the fact Nintendo should have at least acknowledge in some way the 25 years of the series IMO.

With Nintendo this silence means there's the possibility they'll do a new game that quietly ignores Other M.

With Capcom this is like a spit in the face after MML3 got canned. So, no, "at least it's getting something" won't cut it here.

I guess people is never gonna forget about MML3. How can you forget about that one anyway, but seriously, in retrospective it doesn't make sense to me why that game got to be in production the way it did.

How do I say this... of all the games announced by Capcom this generation, MML3 got the weirdest type of announcement I've seen for any game; Inafune talking at the camera saying how much he wanted to make this game a reality is pretty weird coming from a company that usually announce new projects in a rather big way instead of having a dude talking to a camera, not to mention that whole deal with the devblog was like a way to see how many people was genuinely interested in the game.

I remember all of this stuff with the interviews with Inafune that came out at the time about the Western style to develop games, the exciment of the fans online, the game in production without being greenlighted, when Inafune left Capcom or the (paid?) demo that it was never released for 3DS. It was all really bizarre.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:20:11 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2012, 01:28:50 AM »

I wish Nintendo would go the NEw SMB route and give Metroid a 2.5D game a la Shadow Complex.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2012, 01:06:03 PM »

Not going to say that's what they did with MOM
Code:
even though that's what they totally did with MOM and it sucked (well okay, it was more like a 2.5D game that wished it was 3D except for the parts that were 3D which were the worst parts of the game outside of the plot).

Edit: It also didn't help matters that the guy who wrote the series since the very beginning went on record to state that the fetid pile of compost that is MOM was his masterpiece.

Yeah I know, I've read huge articles about that but it doesn't change the fact Nintendo should have at least acknowledge in some way the 25 years of the series IMO.

To me, the whole debacle with MOM is like that mole on Samus's face. It supposedly existed since the start of the series but due to technical limitations and proper oversight at the time you could never really see it. That, however, does not change the fact that its there. Now with MOM we can see it plain as day, we know what it looks like, and we know where to look for it. Now whenever you look at the series, there's that mole, staring you in the face. And likewise, with any mainline Metroid game you look at, you'll see the signs. You'll wonder just what they had originally wanted with that death pose they implemented in Super Metroid. You'll realize the intent with the Just in Bailey code was more for fanservice than to provide you with endgame power at the start. You'll ask if the meaning to those SA-X chase sequences in Fusion was to invoke fear at the force you formerly were hunting you down or helplessness of a magical girl who's lost her magical girl powers and is all alone with no man to protect her. You'll see the true meaning of that silly Zero Suit in Zero Mission come to light whenever you're crawling on your hands and knees through ductwork in it. And even the sequence with "The Baby" at the end of Metroid II (actually, no; this one's probably okay since what's his face didn't actually work on that one, but you can be damned sure that he's since cheapened that with his later games).

So yes, MOM really was awful enough to degrade and undermine the entire mainline series up until that point.

I guess people is never gonna forget about MML3. How can you forget about that one anyway, but seriously, in retrospective it doesn't make sense to me why that game got to be in production the way it did.

How do I say this... of all the games announced by Capcom this generation, MML3 got the weirdest type of announcement I've seen for any game; Inafune talking at the camera saying how much he wanted to make this game a reality is pretty weird coming from a company that usually announce new projects in a rather big way instead of having a dude talking to a camera, not to mention that whole deal with the devblog was like a way to see how many people was genuinely interested in the game.

I remember all of this stuff with the interviews with Inafune that came out at the time about the Western style to develop games, the exciment of the fans online, the game in production without being greenlighted, when Inafune left Capcom or the (paid?) demo that it was never released for 3DS. It was all really bizarre.

If it were only Legends 3 that went through that, you'd have a point, but it wasn't alone. MM Universe which was also canned the moment Inafune left. And then there's been every Megaman project between ZX Advent up until Inafune's departure. The ZX series was supposed to have a prequel to the first game focusing on Pandora and Prometheus; never saw the light of day. Powered Up and the Maverick Hunter X remakes; no follow ups to either, even if Powered Up 2 would've covered the one everybody loves, MM2 and the MHX games would've sorted out the tangled mess of the MMX series plotline. Starforce; probably the only one that didn't get canned outright, but still suffered from derivative sequels. There's also the DLC retrograde releases of MMs 9 & 10 but that well's been tapped; an X9 retrograde release might go over well at this point had Capcom not have already :commissar: the franchise.

And here's what we're left with since Inafune's departure:

A cheap Rush Marine iOS game.
A cheap and awful MMX iOS port.
A fat bastard in a terrible BBA Megaman cosplay.
An appearance in Project X Zone where the entire effort is coming from a third party developer.
And now this thing where you play as a Starforce knock off, and the phrase 'level design' refers to how much EXP you need to grind to get bigger numbers that you need to beat the enemies with bigger numbers. And guess what? Its also a cheap iOS game.

And now you know why every Megaman fan has their knickers in a bunch right now.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2012, 01:51:56 PM »

You'll wonder just what they had originally wanted with that death pose they implemented in Super Metroid. You'll realize the intent with the Just in Bailey code was more for fanservice than to provide you with endgame power at the start.

I was going to debate this, but then I googled it...

WHY DID NO ONE EVER TELL ME I COULD PLAY LEOTARD SAMUS?!?

Jokes aside... I facepalmed. I just lost a lot of respect I had for Super Metroid with that =/
Super Metroid was the first Metroid I played and as such I always viewed it as a game who went above the sex barrier and had you control a badass character in a suit which you may learn was a woman (usually the first time you die, which for me took a long time so it was even weirder) ... and now to learn there was a bikini cheat code...

I think I would have been happier never knowing about this *sigh*
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2012, 02:03:56 PM »

I wish Nintendo would go the NEw SMB route and give Metroid a 2.5D game a la Shadow Complex.

That'd guarantee a Wii U purchase from me.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2012, 05:23:13 AM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/05/what-went-wrong-with-mega-man-heres-what-capcoms-christian-svensson-feels/

lolololol

Granted there's been times where the franchise suffered from a bit too much glut, but the diversity was one of its strongest points.

Also Megaman's got nothin' on Mario in terms of donned hats.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2012, 05:53:27 AM »

This is kinda relevant...

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2012, 06:17:57 AM »

This is kinda relevant...

So what's Batman and his giant robot doing at the bottom of that pic?

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2012, 05:13:48 PM »

Other M wasn't that bad...it just wasn't Metroid in any way, shape, or form.

Oh Right, Mega Man. I'm over it already. Mega Man Legend 3 would've been the last Mega Man game I would've actually played, anyways. After playing Mega Man 10, I realized platform games where you die a million times just aren't that fun for me anymore. While I'm sad I don't get to play Legend 3, and I'm sad to see a part of my childhood go astray, it was a part of my life I had moved on from long beforehand.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2012, 07:06:25 PM »

I never really got into the story of the series. Other than seeing that it was as big (if not more) than the one presented in Metal Gear I was pretty getting to know that they actually bothered to create such a big universe for the franchise.

I enjoyed the X games and Legends 2 for the most part, but outside of that I've always been a casual fan of the series so all of this deal with Mega Man while it sucks it doesn't bother me much.

I can't see Batman. (・_・ヾ
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2012, 08:09:48 PM »

Sorry. I meant anime Batman (i.e. Roger Smith). I just couldn't recall his name when I made that post (also the giant robot is called The Big O).

Other M wasn't that bad...it just wasn't Metroid in any way, shape, or form.

Except that it wasn't any good. Other M's gameplay consisted of either mashing the dodge/counter charge combo to obliterate everything in a boring and tedious manner or it consisted of not doing that which makes the game become stupidly difficult and tedious, and there's only one enemy capable of punishing dodge counter and that's it. Also the game's buggy (that one door that keeps you from 100% the game most of the time), it needlessly regulated missiles to mostly non-combat scenarios, it forced ridiculous and oftentimes obtuse pixel hunts (including of all things, the 'final' 'boss' 'fight'), its upgrade mechanic which was both retarded and unsatisfactory (which one was the worst, you decide; the Varia Suit, the Wave Beam, the Gravity Suit, the Power Bombs), and then there's the stupidly misogynistic plot (way to be a constantly distressed damsel Samus Aran; how would the galaxy be saved without you; let me count the ways (although you did have slightly more agency in Other M compared to the FFXIII trilogy so far; after all Anthony might have also needed to do battle with the Kraken that was the Metroid Queen; although the odds of anybody releasing the Kraken on his or any other male character's ass in that game were negligible at best)).

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2012, 08:27:07 PM »

I never really got into the story of the series. Other than seeing that it was as big (if not more) than the one presented in Metal Gear I was pretty getting to know that they actually bothered to create such a big universe for the franchise.

I enjoyed the X games and Legends 2 for the most part, but outside of that I've always been a casual fan of the series so all of this deal with Mega Man while it sucks it doesn't bother me much.

Actually it's Big O, which is basically Japanese Batman (he's a billionaire who has a butler and a ward, the only difference is that instead of fighting crime with peak human abilities, he fights aliens with a giant robot).

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2012, 08:33:46 PM »

I did think of Big O for a moment.

Oh, well. ヽ(ー_ー )ノ
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2012, 09:06:53 PM »

Actually it's Big O, which is basically Japanese Batman (he's a billionaire who has a butler and a ward, the only difference is that instead of fighting crime with peak human abilities, he fights aliens with a giant robot).

Was it aliens? I thought it was giant robot piloted by human versus giant robot piloted by human most of the time.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: