Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 10:47:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332928 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Next 10 years of Mega Man being discussed by "Top Men" at Capcom
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: Next 10 years of Mega Man being discussed by "Top Men" at Capcom  (Read 15611 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2013, 06:00:38 PM »

I think the game sounded like a fantastic concept, but I'm sure Megaman "fans" would have booed it out the door, just like they did with DmC and Metroid Prime before it came out. Absolutely would have played that and then been sad when everyone boycotted it because it's not classic-styled Megaman and OMG BADASS WESTERN DESIGN IS DOOM

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2013, 11:57:56 PM »

What the hell man?!

It's not fair. Why do they keep.killing Mega Man, what the fuck did he do to capcom.besides keep an incredibly dedicated audience on the edges of their seats in anticipation for his next adventure? Fuck you capcom, bring back the Blue bomber!

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2013, 02:53:40 AM »

I think the game sounded like a fantastic concept, but I'm sure Megaman "fans" would have booed it out the door, just like they did with DmC and Metroid Prime before it came out.

DmC could have got away being whatever the hell it wanted to be if it was as good as Metroid Prime was though.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2013, 03:05:12 AM »

I have to disagree that it could have gotten away with whatever it wanted. People made it their mission to destroy that game for being different, and by god, they succeeded.

Plus, it WAS an excellent game. It's not the inbred technical extravaganza that was DmC4, and I understand people wanted more of that, but that isn't what the game set out to be. It was completely successful in doing what it set out to do.

And Metroid Prime WAS fantastic.

EDIT:

BUT MEGAMAN GUYS, SRS

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2013, 04:29:23 AM »

I have to disagree that it could have gotten away with whatever it wanted. People made it their mission to destroy that game for being different, and by god, they succeeded.

Plus, it WAS an excellent game. It's not the inbred technical extravaganza that was DmC4, and I understand people wanted more of that, but that isn't what the game set out to be. It was completely successful in doing what it set out to do.

Nah. DmC could have worked better without pretending what it wasn't.

It should have been a new IP, and if it needed the DMC name so badly to get more copies sold Capcom Japan more than Ninja Theory should have respected a little more what made DMC so appealing in the first place for their reboot.

Metroid Prime worked because the people behind the project understood what Metroid was about and tried to build something new from it.

BUT MEGAMAN GUYS, SRS

What about it? Whatever Capcom shows in the future (and if they show something anyway) is most likely to get cancelled, is like a bad joke at this point.

...a third-person shooter Mega Man title that starts a new timeline could work decently I think. I'm one of those who think that the series needs to be reinvented, not rebooted.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2013, 01:41:44 PM »

And Metroid Prime WAS fantastic.

EDIT:

BUT MEGAMAN GUYS, SRS

I doubt Mega Man fans would've ripped this apart though. Namely because we were used to Capcom whipping some new spinoff series together every so often. Besides, considering how I always viewed Mega Man Legends 1 as the closest thing to a 3D Metroid game of the PSX era, and that the ZX games were aiming to become Metroidvanias (and missing the mark by a wide margin), I don't think a Metroid Prime styled MMX game would've gotten boo'd out the door like you seem to think it would've.

As for DmC, what do the games have going for them in the first place? Let alone what they have going for them now that hasn't been done better by other series'? When you look at the new game, do you think it addressed the most fundamental issues surrounding DmC or do you think they just reskinned the series so that nothing really changed except everything in regards to the lore, setting, style, and spirit of the series?

To make a comparison, try imagining a Persona game set in an American College or a British Orphanage instead of a Japanese High School. The gameplay's the same but the atmosphere, the writing, and even the artstyle will probably be different (for the sake of the argument, let's assume that Atlus wont just have everything turnin' Japanese anyways). To make a less tortured comparison, try imagining a sequel to The World Ends With You not being set in Shibyuya (or however its spelled), Japan and not featuring Noruma's designs or the accompanying atmosphere, of any kind.

The tl;dr is that Capcom pretty much threw the baby out with the bathwater in regards to DmC and didn't bother to replace it with anything worthwhile. The game lost its identity and the reason why fans should choose it over anything made by Platinum Games.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2013, 02:39:40 PM »

You know what?

I'm out.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2013, 03:43:39 PM »

You know, I have to completely agree with Taelus for two reasons.

Megaman 9 and 10.

Who the hell thought making new games out of a 20 year old design was a sound decision? The dumbass fanboys who claim Megaman 2 was the absolute pinnacle of Megaman perfection, that's who. Sure, the games were ok, but it's the rabidness of the blind fanboys who would be the driving reason why variations of the game are so unlikely. Capcom's been getting tons of flak lately for DmC, the recent deviation of Resident Evil, and numerous other fiascos (dlc), so it's fairly easy to think that the savage rage of fanboys regarding one of their less popular franchises would influence them against doing anything inventi.....scratch that, anything at all.

Fuck da fanboys, dey iz ruinins my mega manz.

TASTY!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »

The real truth is that Capcom, like every other Japanese developer is scared of risk. These companies are glass towers that could tip over and crash with one bad costly title.

This is also why they employ outside studios since they can insure their revenues (we give you X$ and you make a game that sells Y unit. If you don't sell Y, we want Z in return for your poor performance and contractual breach)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2013, 03:14:48 AM »

The tl;dr is that Capcom pretty much threw the baby out with the bathwater in regards to DmC and didn't bother to replace it with anything worthwhile. The game lost its identity and the reason why fans should choose it over anything made by Platinum Games.
Uh, no. The only thing wrong with the new DmC are some technical niggles and gameplay quirks that should be ironed out if NT does a second entry. For their first DmC game it was fine. Like I said in the DmC thread it is a worthwhile action game and anybody still whining like a little bitch about it needs to get over it already. Sorry, but the DmC whining is getting old really fast. You don't have to like the new DmC, but making a claim like they fucked the whole thing up would only hold water if it was a truly terrible game, which it isn't. Also, the examples you named would work fine if the developers worked at it. IMO, DmC worked okay. It's not the best example I'd give of a reboot/overhaul, but it's nowhere near as bad as you claim.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2013, 05:37:00 AM »

But...but...they made Dante look like an emo douchebag instead of a visual-kei wannabe douchebag!  The horror!

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2013, 06:01:40 AM »

the only reason i never gave DMC a chance is due to the art style. im not afraid i got a little weaboo in me. this megaman game though would of been a hard pill to swallow. i mean the arm cannon machine gun? no way man.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2013, 07:45:09 AM »

Who the hell thought making new games out of a 20 year old design was a sound decision?

Weren't a few years ago games in a retro style a big deal? I never thought that Capcom took much of a risk with Mega Man 9 and 10 because of that, not to mention that with the fans of the classics series getting stuck with Mega Man 2 in their minds the most intelligent thing to do was releasing 9 and 10 in that same style and make money out of nostalgia.

Uh, no. The only thing wrong with the new DmC are some technical niggles and gameplay quirks that should be ironed out if NT does a second entry. For their first DmC game it was fine. Like I said in the DmC thread it is a worthwhile action game and anybody still whining like a little bitch about it needs to get over it already.

You do know that the whole discussion of DmC went more than just the game itself in more than one occasion right?

Sorry, but the DmC whining is getting old really fast.

Ha. It got old a year after the game was announced, in 2011.

But...but...they made Dante look like an emo douchebag instead of a visual-kei wannabe douchebag!  The horror!

What are you talking about?
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2013, 12:46:58 PM »

Uh, no. The only thing wrong with the new DmC are some technical niggles and gameplay quirks that should be ironed out if NT does a second entry. For their first DmC game it was fine. Like I said in the DmC thread it is a worthwhile action game and anybody still whining like a little bitch about it needs to get over it already. Sorry, but the DmC whining is getting old really fast. You don't have to like the new DmC, but making a claim like they fucked the whole thing up would only hold water if it was a truly terrible game, which it isn't. Also, the examples you named would work fine if the developers worked at it. IMO, DmC worked okay. It's not the best example I'd give of a reboot/overhaul, but it's nowhere near as bad as you claim.

Look. So sorry that I offended your sensibilities.

I'll admit I haven't played the new DmC and had only been going off of impressions, I've only played DmC3, didn't care for it that much, mistake mine, yada yada, lets move on.

Honestly, its a moot point on what I would've or wouldn't have done with this Megaman Prime game had the franchise not had a stake driven through its heart and its rotting carcass strung up on a pole and paraded down Main Street Fighter Capcomia because all it is now is just another vision of the world that could've been had Crapcom not have been a complete bag of dicks. Maybe other fans would've and maybe other fans wouldn't have, but what we do know now is that its impossible to know for sure anymore.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2013, 08:14:04 PM »

Problem to me with this possible FPS reboot/spinoff/whatever is ultimately in how it looks and the overall style. I'd actually LOVE an FPS game that went with more cartoony visuals like every other Mega Man game has, and if they faithfully adapted the gameplay, but this seems to only meet halfway in every regard: it IS way more colorful than most FPSes, but it looks like has designs that are more gritty or realistic rather than cartoony, and likewise the gameplay looks as if it may've been more traditional FPS with some jumping, not necessarily Mega Man as if played from first person. But perhaps you need 3rd person for that, so just getting a dual stick MML3 would've probably been more than enough anyway.

At any rate, maybe this could've been fixed but in the end I'm glad it was canned, it is now a sacrifice so we may get Metroid Batman.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: