Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 03:30:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331350 Posts in 13571 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Question About ME1 PC, and ME2 PS3
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Question About ME1 PC, and ME2 PS3  (Read 639 times)
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2012, 05:49:01 PM »

Hello there. So, I asked about the Mass Effect series a while back, and was going to play Mass Effect 1, and I own it for the PC... but I never actually played it. Now though, I have a PS3, (got it 4 weeks ago,) and while I was at Gamestop today, I saw Mass Effect 2, and decided to pick it up. I also have it for the PC as well, but, this will bring me to my point.

You see, I could just play both ME1 and ME2 on the PC, but there's 2 problems there. One is that my PC can run them, but not all that well, whereas my PS3 could probably run ME2 much better in comparison. The other problem is that Mass Effect 3 is coming out in a bit over a month, and if I just played ME1&2 on the PC, my choices wouldn't carry over to ME3 on my PS3. And that brings me to another problem. ME2-PS3 is supposed to have a comic that summarizes the events of ME1, but I also just have ME1 anyway. The problem is, aside from not running as well as ME2 likely well on my PS3, there doesn't seem to be as much of a point to playing ME1 in that case, because my choices won't carry over to either ME2-PS3, or ME3.

Now, some of you might be quick to point out that ME3 will be getting a PC release as well. However, when it comes to playing the games on my PS3, or on my PC, the PS3 is the much better choice. (Not to mention, I'm not even sure if ME3 will run on my PC at all.) So, I'm going to have to make a decision at some point, but I figured I'd see if I could get some advice first. Should I just read the interactive-comic that comes with ME2-PS3? Or should I just play ME1-PC anyway to get the full story, even though it doesn't run that well and none of my choices will carry over either way?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 06:07:25 PM by badsanta » Logged
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 06:01:24 PM »

The comic lets you make some choices that affect your game of ME2, though obviously not to the extent of carrying of save over. If your computer really is that bad, I recommend playing through ME, and then selecting the same choices when you get round to the comic.

Also, what are your computer specs? I don't know if you've tried playing them yet, but they may not run as badly as you think. Mine is a few years old but both games run at >50 FPS, and the recommended specs for ME3 are barely any higher than ME2.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 06:06:33 PM by DPB » Logged
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 06:06:21 PM »

The comic lets you make some choices that affect your game of ME2, though obviously not to the extent of carrying of save over. If your computer is really that bad, I recommend playing through ME, and then selecting the same choices when you get round to the comic.

Also, what are your computer specs? I don't know if you've tried playing it yet, but they may not run as badly as you think. Mine is a few years old but both games run at >50 FPS, and the recommended specs for ME3 are barely any higher than ME2.

I have tried ME1 on my PC, so let met clarify; it runs it decently, but it's still kind of choppy, and in order for it to run as well as it does, the graphics had to be set to the lowest setting, with filtering, shadowing, etc., turned off.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 06:11:13 PM »

If running ME2 PC is not an option, just make sure you download the Cerberus network content and the comic to your PS3. It should all be free.

The fuller experience, if your computer can handle it, would be playing ME1 in full, then ME2 and 3 all on the same system. The comic let's you make big ME1 decisions HOWEVER with little to no context. What you could do is play just ME1 on PC then ME2 on PS3, that way you know more about the choices you're making in the comic. Playing ME1, if you can, will let you appreciate things about 2 more.

The OTHER bonus the PS3 version has is all the DLC except Arrival is on the disc. And ME2 has some pretty fantastic DLC.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 06:16:55 PM »

Given what Liz said I'd at least deal with ME1 on PC, then jump to PS3 for ME2/ME3. You can't carry over all possible choices, but at least you can be close enough that it's more like continuing your original adventure on PS3 rather than it being pointless.

I will note though that I'm pretty sure ME3 will run on PCs that ran ME2, though if I was in your position I'd get on PS3 then get the PC version for cheap whenever, just for when you upgrade.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 06:26:02 PM »

Yes. If you ran ME2 PC decently enough, you can apparently run ME3 on your PC. Though if ME1 is already choppy on low settings for you, I'm not sure if ME2 will go over well until you can upgrade. I'm no expert though, I don't even own a PC. :P

I just hate to see ME1 get passed up when (if) you have a chance to play it. Its just as good as 2, and in some ways better.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 06:29:40 PM »

ME1 IS a bit of a diamond in the rough. ME2 is what happens when you polish it, but perhaps go a bit overboard in doing so and lose some of what made ME1 great to begin with. ME3 is supposed to bring some of that back, but we'll see how that works.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 06:29:48 PM »

I personally I'm not the biggest fan of ME1's gameplay but the story, music, characters are one of the best I've seen and for that alone I think it's a good reason to play the game.
On my PC, ME2 was running better, than ME1. After I bought a new GPU it was just running like butter, but in your case, like some other games for me, the console version seems like the safe and stable choice, so I'd say go for it.

ME2 on max settings on my PC would run better than the PS3 but if yours can't I'd say the PS3 should look better. And like some said here, you can just pick the choices on the comic book to match those you made in the first game!
Also, on a more subjective point, ME3 on PC you have to have EA's Origin and many people don't want that, myself included. If you don't want to deal with that later on when ME3 arrives, your best bet is the console version.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »

The gameplay irritated me at times, but once i got used to it, got used to customizing etc. I cut through Geth like butter. And that's what I loved - customizing, skill allotment in more areas, etc. ME3 WILL bring this stuff back to some extent, I would much rather see that than further streamlining. No doubt that ME2 played better in combat, and Vanguard became way more fun to play, ME1 didnt have interrupts... But I digress.

And actually, I didn't mind the Mako - that thing was a beast and could scale bloody mountains. Using the mako a LOT became tedious, but so did planet scanning in ME2 after a while.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 06:53:16 PM »

Thanks everyone. I think what I'm going to do is just play ME1 on my PC, then jump to the PS3 with ME2. Again, thanks. :)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: