Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 07:11:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319201 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  PS3 Lag Issues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: PS3 Lag Issues  (Read 4953 times)
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2012, 02:19:27 AM »

So I posted this on the official PS forums but no response yet, wanna hear what you guys think.

Hey there everyone, im starting to get very worried.  I have an around 1 year old PS3 160gb Slim system.  I would say since middle of december my system has been acting strange.  Games seem to take awhile to start up, pretty much any demo I download and install will lag, when no one else I know has a problem with the Demo, Netflix takes longer to load up.  I have rebuilt the database, restored the file system, and it seems to have helped slightly.  Also 3/4 times I use my ps3 controller to turn on my system, I have to connect the controller to the USB cable becuase all 4 red lights blink, and it will not recognize the controller until I do that.  Once I do that, I can unplug it and it works fine.

Most recent example is just now, I downloaded and installed the Darkness 2 demo.  As soon as I started it up, every 5 seconds or so it lags for just a second.  Same thing happened with Kingdoms of Amalurs beginning cutscene, I started it up, stuttered like mad, paused it, decided to look up on the net if everyone had this issue, went back to it, and it worked just fine.  I would assume if anything the HDD is going bad, but I want to make sure before I start looking for something new.  Should I try a format?  Id rather not lose my saves, and I don't have a thumbdrive, though I can pick one up.  If I have to do this, is it simple to move save files onto it?

Hopefully someone can help me out here, thank you!

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 04:04:19 PM »

I'm inclined to think either your hdd is filled with too many installed games, or maybe it's overheating. However, i could really be wrong.

TASTY!
Serene Prophet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 11:52:02 PM »

See and thats the thing, the day Skyrim came out, I was downloading Mass Effect 2 via PSN, came home with skyrim, found my PS3 had auto shut off, and must have done so during install or something cause my HDD was corrupted and that was only solved with a format.  Since then ive only played a few games, ive deleted all game data from games im not using, demos, saves from games I dont care about, etc.  I have read it could potentially be a poor install of the 4.0 firmware so I picked up a USB and am going to throw the firmware on there and reinstall from the USB, since that seems to have helped a few poeple.  I will say I got FFXIII-2 today in the mail from gamefly, and its run fine, but it doesnt run off the HDD..so I am thinking thats the issue...

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 03:15:29 AM »

See and thats the thing, the day Skyrim came out, I was downloading Mass Effect 2 via PSN, came home with skyrim, found my PS3 had auto shut off, and must have done so during install or something cause my HDD was corrupted and that was only solved with a format.  Since then ive only played a few games, ive deleted all game data from games im not using, demos, saves from games I dont care about, etc.  I have read it could potentially be a poor install of the 4.0 firmware so I picked up a USB and am going to throw the firmware on there and reinstall from the USB, since that seems to have helped a few poeple.  I will say I got FFXIII-2 today in the mail from gamefly, and its run fine, but it doesnt run off the HDD..so I am thinking thats the issue...
Heh, I actually am having some graphical issues with ffxiii-2 now, which I made a thread about here a while ago. Few people said it could be my gpu, which as of now is my likely culprit. If you're really hurting for help, contact sony and ask some questions. They actually are SLIGHTLY helpful over the phone.

TASTY!
Serene Prophet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:49:12 PM »

Well I did the long (7 hour) format, and so far things seem ok, Skyrim was the first game I tried and I notice smoother load times and play.  Netflix also seems to be loading better.  But this is just the prelimnary results, we shall see what happens after a week ><

Serene Prophet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 05:43:37 PM »

So its looking like im gonna need to simply buy a new HDD.  Does anyone here know of any sites I could go to that might provide more information on the subject...like a gamers version of Toms Hardware?  Or does anyone here know enough..I would still like to get a more serious yes or no that its the harddrive thats going, and not some simple stupid thing I havnt tried yet (though I doubt it).  And if I do get a new HDD, I wanna make sure I can get something decent..though id like to spend like 70 max.  Thanks guys!  (sadly new firmware didnt help)

Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 10:02:29 PM »

I think your HDD is starting to fail and yes I would get a new one. So its a PS3 slim? HDD caddy is at the bottom right handside when looking at the front, the screws to release are self explanatory when you look at it. Now there's 2 ways to go about this, the 1st way you'll need an external HDD and a new drive to replace you old one, So in effect that's a purchase of 2 HDD's. So 1st method is backup your ps3 to and external hdd by using the backup utility which can be found in system settings, the external drive must be formatted as fat 32. Once this is done, remove your old HDD and insert the new one (not the one you've backed up to) Turn it on, the ps3 will format the new hdd, go back to back up utility and chose restore with your backup usb hdd attached.

The 2nd method, Just buy a new sata 2.5 drive and replace the old, follow the prompts. Bare in mind that at this stage the largest hdd you can use is 750gb as anything bigger simply wont fit into the caddy. There is 1 or 2 1tb drives made that will fit but they will cost you alot more then you want to spend.
Serene Prophet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 10:45:07 PM »

Yeah I know that part, im just curious as to where to find suggestions on what one to buy, cause in my readings ive heard say, seagates are good, but some models have an issue, blah blah yadda.  More or less curious on whats considered reliable.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 02:33:20 AM »

An easy way to do it is find a hdd you like and contact sony or use their online helo and see if it's compatible. Like I said earlier, sony over the phone is very helpful from what I've seen.

TASTY!
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 09:30:11 AM »

I just got an e-mail from Newegg that their Hitachi 500GB 2.5" drives are only $60 right now.  That's a pretty good price for that size, and you'd never run out of space.

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/Feb-0-2012/Vday10/index-landing.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL021012&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL021012-_-EMC-021012-Index-_-E0A-_-HDD

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Serene Prophet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 10:51:01 PM »

Damn I may have to pick that up then, thanks a bunch john!

Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 09:36:44 PM »

They're pretty much all the same and I wouldn't bother researching too much. Either 5400rpm or 7200rpm, some say 7200 rpm produces more heat, Well DUH, performance wise I can't tell the difference. It's easier for me to buy and external USB and remove the casing, though I haven't a clue were you live but $60 for 500gb is pretty much standard. All I can say is try to avoid the Hitachis for some reason, don't know but I spend alot of my time in the "Dev" community and this is the general consensus. And yes you can fill a ps3's hdd in no time, I have a Phat 500gb and a Slim 320gb both nearly full.
Serene Prophet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 04:12:15 AM »

Well I found a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 160 gb for right around 50 on ebay the other night.  Seemed like a good deal, seemed like a good brand, and I honestly don't use alot of space on my system, so a huge HD was less important than a reliable one, and from what I was reading WD is one of the most reliable you can get.  Plus it was brand new, guy had 100% feedback, so I am content.  Will get it middle of this week, will update to let ya folks know how it goes.  Cheers!

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 01:12:36 PM »

Well I found a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 160 gb for right around 50 on ebay the other night.  Seemed like a good deal, seemed like a good brand, and I honestly don't use alot of space on my system, so a huge HD was less important than a reliable one, and from what I was reading WD is one of the most reliable you can get.  Plus it was brand new, guy had 100% feedback, so I am content.  Will get it middle of this week, will update to let ya folks know how it goes.  Cheers!

dude, 160 gb hdd for 50 bucks isn't a great deal. Considering you have to pay for shipping too, you could have went to a best buy and bought a sucker hdd for the same price, probably larger. You should cancel the order and shop around some more. You could do considerably better.

TASTY!
Serene Prophet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 03:47:22 PM »

Just looking at it size wise, then no, but brand wise plus size, then yes.  I do appreciate the concern but in this case its all good.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: