Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 06:13:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319788 Posts in 13049 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  When did you get into gaming?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: When did you get into gaming?  (Read 1644 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2012, 11:55:14 AM »

I always remember as a kid reading a bunch of gaming magazines and having a PSone in where I played a good chunk of games, but it wasn't until like in 2007 or '09 that I actually knew enough stuff to understand gaming to really enjoy it and had enough money to start a collection.

Is kinda scary to think that even if I've seen and played for a few minutes a ton of different old titles there's still a huge pile of other ones that I've never heard of.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:38:55 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:16:35 PM »

When my mum and I were homeless, we lived with my great uncle and aunt for a while. She was a beast at Sonic the Hedgehog on the Megadrive (whatever you Americans call it), so my love pretty much started there. Though I only got into RPGs when I went to a friends house and played (I can hear the groans already) Final Fantasy VII.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 12:30:57 PM »

When I was really young, like 6 or 7, my cousins had an Atari. They were close, so I was there a lot anyway. They had an NES at some point, and then we got one in our house. I was a Mario addict.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 12:57:35 PM »

Mom and dad were among some of the first computer owners in the neighbourhood, so one of the first games I played was Donkey Kong on the Commodore 64. Then my aunt bought herself a Game Boy with Tetris and Mario Land. She let us (the kids) play with it too, but only when it was safely encased in this huge purple piece of rubber. Yep, she made gaming systems wear protection before people were throwing Wiimote's through their TVs. That Game Boy the best thing ever, so me and my brother teamed up to get one from our parents. They loved the idea and got us a used one with Tetris, Metroid 2, Mario Land 2 and Mega Man 2. I guess you could say that was a bit much, but my dad was away from home a lot and felt really guilty about it. It's not like he gave us gifts all the time but when he did, he'd make sure it was something really nice. My mom once told me dad went to nearly twenty toystores to get me the My Little Pony Dreamcastle for Christmas.

Anyway... After a while the inevitable Game Boy war started. My brother, little sister and I all wanted to play Mario Land 2. At the same time. My mom needed a Game Boy to play Tetris with my aunt. Before professional gaming was a thing those two were betting money on games of Tetris. Eventually there were three Game Boys in our household. Oh and a used VideoPac my dad got from somewhere. We'd gather around the TV and play word games on that.

Then my uncle (and godfather!) broke up with his girl friend (again...) and crashed at my aunt's place. He stayed there for months and brought his Super Nintendo with him. It was soon kidnapped by us kids. One day my aunt bought a stack of used games and one of those games was Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, my first RPG.

I was a gamer before I was old enough to like boybands. While my classmates were having really creepy fantasties about the Backstreet Boys, I was playing Pokémon and Ocarina of Time. It's a debt to my parents (and aunt) I will never be able to repay.

Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 01:16:02 PM »

Leisure Suit Larry when I was 5
WAIT NO I MEAN CENTIPEDE!!

<_<
>_>
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 01:19:12 PM »

My parents bought an old C64 when I was a teenager because I could type on it and it was "educational" and it came with Bard's Tale. Even the hint books and all the maps.

Later I got copies of the SSI Goldbox D&D games, Wasteland and Battletech. Those were my mainstays growing up.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 04:35:55 PM »

Got an Atari 2600 when I was four. Worst decision my mom ever made.

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 05:14:37 PM »

Hmmm, I had an NES with Mario 1 and 2, but I was never that into it.
I remember playing lots of Sonic when the Genesis came out. Particularly Sonic 2 because I think that's the only one I actually owned. I would also rent games, but I wasn't that serious of a "gamer."

When it comes to RPGs I'm just like Starmongoose. Final fuckin Fantasy fuckin VII. I was like 8 years old at the time, and my brother's friend brought it over, and I was just totally hooked on this strange game that was so different from anything else I'd ever played. I had no idea what an RPG was and then all of a sudden I was playing this incredibly epic game. Nostalgia, man.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 07:07:58 PM »

When I was like, three, we got my dad a NES for Christmas. Some time after that I borrowed a bunch of my cousin's NES games.

Then he went to jail and I got to keep them ^_^

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 07:19:26 PM »

Hanging out w/ my cousins. They had the Master System and I remember awesome games like Zillion (sucked at it since I was like 5, LOVED THE MUSIC), Astrowarrior and that 3d miisslegame.

From there it evolved to all of us gaming at each others houses during family parties. And I eventually became the brat that had a ton of games.

Fond memories of gaming throughout my life in all stages. From walking to the mom and pop videostore to rent one w/ my big brothers or creaming hapless turds in goldeneye or halo in the dorms. Now it's meeting new people online and sharing laughs that way.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 07:41:02 PM »

Atari for me when I was around 5 I guess.  I had both models and even a Pong machine. I've been a chronic ever since. My original favorites were Zaxxon, Phoenix and Berserk. I fucking hated Pitfall. Still do.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 11:50:54 PM »

I love Pitfall II. There was something about exploring those caverns for hours that I really dug.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 10:15:56 PM »

My best friend got an Atari 2600 when we were in the 6th grade, God the hours playing Megamania and Raiders of the Lost Ark. I grew up in the 80's heyday of arcades, wow, what a great place to pick up girls, lol, my buddy and I were Defender, Pac-Man and Tempest game gods! I bought  NES when they came out and fell in love with FFI, then a huge drought, never really played SNES or PSX or anything in that era, my EX-wife didn't believe in gaming, notice the term EX. I got back into games with the PS2, the rest is history.

Everything's Eventual
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 03:34:16 PM »

My parents owned an atari 2600 before I was born, and when I was old enough to not break it, the would play pacman with me. I was barely old enough to remember that, like 3 going on 4. Christmas of 1989, got my nintendo. My parents fell in love with tetris and later dr. mario, but I was zelda and smb. Course tbrough them I learned how to play and got pretty good at tetris too, but meh this isn't puzzlegamefan. My first rpg experience was iirf princess tomato on salad island or some shit like that, which needless to say, I didn't understand at 4 years old, and one day rentals from our local video store meant I played for 10 minutes and my dad took it back. Next time I tried an rpg was 4 years later, and it was Final Fantasy (not vii like you hipster weenies trying to jump on the bandwagon) III though more commonly known now as VI. Though I was still sort of shit at it, it cemented my love of rpgs for life. The first rpg that I beat, which probably was the reason I will always remember and desire rpgs based on the famous plumber, was super mario rpg. Memories....ahhh.

TASTY!
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 04:45:58 PM »

When I was like, three, we got my dad a NES for Christmas. Some time after that I borrowed a bunch of my cousin's NES games.

Then he went to jail and I got to keep them ^_^

This without the jail time. First game to buy outside the mario bros/duck hunt was Legend of Zelda 1 + 2 at the same time. WIN

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: