Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 07:27:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327439 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy VII 15th Anniversary, Thread of "It has been that long?"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII 15th Anniversary, Thread of "It has been that long?"  (Read 9462 times)
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2012, 01:43:38 AM »

God this thread has been great source of entertainment.

Thank you all

Mym

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2012, 07:27:34 AM »

Emerald weapon is a tsundere. He pretends to be all cold and mean, but deep down he really loves you.

(Someone needs to draw this for the awesome)

I-I just follow you around in your submarine because... Because you're a threat to the planet. Y-Yeah, that's it. I-It's not like I like you, or anything like that...

Really? That's when your suspension of disbelief is shot to hell? Not when your guys are getting shot to hell by the weakest grunts in the game? When they don't even have the excuse of high levels and awesome materia/equips? And they aren't even taking enough damage to warrant blowing a potion's worth of healing on?

Nah, you can explain that away as the baddies being from the Schwarzenegger school of sharp shooting, where their bullets only ever graze your characters and never hit anything that causes any serious damage. But Emerald Weapon stomping on top of you? There isn't going to be much left after that but mush.

In case the all caps didn't make it patently obvious, I was being entirely sarcastic. Start picking holes in the gap between what characters can do in story sequences and in gameplay segments in one game, and the whole house of cards will quickly come tumbling down being that it's pretty much a universal thing.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:30:18 AM by Mym » Logged
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2012, 12:01:21 PM »

...and that's when Aeris tried to dress up Cloud like a prostitute. 

The best part of FF7 was deciding whether to dress cloud as a 2-bit whore or a high-class call girl.

jRPG "choices" > wRPG ones?

If we're talking Bioware like WRPGs then yes, as when a real JRPG choice comes along you can actually do something interesting like take a route split or determine how your kids will come out as, whereas even meaningful Bioware choices are doomed to eventually be retconned by the next game in their trilogy and otherwise determine whether you get to use the paragon or renegade skill sets now and which party member you get to bang awkwardly. The meaningless choices of course comes down to being ignored or getting a but thou must (although sometimes they'll hide something in a but thou must choice) versus being a prick, being a sarcastic prick, and being an ass.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2012, 02:08:05 PM »

FF7 is full of choices...

To what extent do you make Aeris dress up Cloud is a prostitute?  Do you go through the hell of getting makeup, perfumed underwear, and all the other hoosefudge along with the redimentary dress and wig? 

Who do you make Cloud woo for his Golden Saucer date? Aeris, Tifa, Yuffie, or Barret?  (Yeesh, talk about a harem sausage.  And this is not even mentioning NPCs like Mukki and Jessie who want quality time with the spiky haired freak.)

During the Golden Saucer date, how incompetently do you act in the play? (I did everything wrong and laughed when Aeris slapped Cloud)

What do you name your breeding chocobo pairs?  (I'm sure there were plenty of sad lonely boys who named a male chocobo after themselves, named a female chocobo "Tifa," and snickered while they bred.) 

I approve of this nonsense!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2012, 10:38:16 PM »

Forgot to mention this before but in December Square Enix released a new novel for the big mess that is the Compilation of FFVII called "Final Fantasy VII Lateral Biography Turks -The Kids Are Alright-".

It takes place shortly before Advent Children and... stuff happens. Also according to FF Wiki the novel has references to the English rock band The Who. Dunno what's that about but eh, is FFVII and people like FFVII so like Squall says: " ...Whatever"

Summary of the new FFVII novel (The LifeStream.net)
Final Fantasy VII Lateral Biography Turks -The Kids Are Alright- (FF Wiki)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2012, 03:12:47 PM »

"As part of a Final Fantasy VII 15th anniversary feature, Weekly Famitsu posted interviews with Tetsuya Nomura, Yoshinori Kitase and Kazushige Nojima. Here's a sampling of what the three FFVII VIPs had to say..." -- source: andriasang
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2012, 12:01:36 AM »

Displacement in Final Fantasy VII

"The world of Final Fantasy VII stands out as a remarkably bleak interpretation of the future. Released in 1997, it came long after the cold war, long before 9/11, while the economy was still booming and while environmentalism presented a concern rather than a crisis. Yet, Final Fantasy VII presents a world eating itself from the inside out, it illuminates the cracks in what appeared to be a stable point in time. Final Fantasy VII, while ultimately hopeful, presents a fragmented world of displaced people."

Bumping for interesting article.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2012, 05:50:50 AM »

Forgot to mention this before but in December Square Enix released a new novel for the big mess that is the Compilation of FFVII called "Final Fantasy VII Lateral Biography Turks -The Kids Are Alright-".

It takes place shortly before Advent Children and... stuff happens. Also according to FF Wiki the novel has references to the English rock band The Who. Dunno what's that about but eh, is FFVII and people like FFVII so like Squall says: " ...Whatever"

Summary of the new FFVII novel (The LifeStream.net)
Final Fantasy VII Lateral Biography Turks -The Kids Are Alright- (FF Wiki)

I can't believe that they didn't have the pretentiousness to subtitle the novel with some Engrishy subtitle that spelled out EC or EoC with its acronym (but I guess they can't even be arsed to bother sticking with their own compilation conventions, though it's not like it would help if they did).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: July 11, 2012, 09:29:20 AM »

I remember playing it at my friends before I even had a playstation and thinking the golden saucer was the coolest thing of all time. I eventually picked it up a little after I bought a ps1 myself, I think it was the second game i owned for it after Lunar

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: