Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 08:55:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338222 Posts in 13846 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy VII 15th Anniversary, Thread of "It has been that long?"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII 15th Anniversary, Thread of "It has been that long?"  (Read 11774 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2012, 01:53:23 PM »

"On January 31st 1997, the seventh (roman numeral) installment of the Final Fantasy series was released in Japan. This old PlayStation title remains one of the biggest video game obsessions of all time, as proven by the still active fanbase."

Source: The Lifestream.net

I am not the appropriate person to make a topic like this since I got into the series around FFX-2 came out by playing first in those days in my PSone FFIX. It wasn't just for curiosity after reading all the rage that FFVII caused in the Internet that I bother my mother to buy me the game. And oh boy, I really wasn't prepared for such a huge experience... I think that even by today standards FFVII is a pretty huge RPG with tons of secrets and little details to enjoy and discover.

That said, is personally not my favorite Final Fantasy but it is without a doubt one of the memorable in the series.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 01:57:24 PM »

Hating or loving it, FF7 raised the bar for the genre as a whole.

(who else now feels old?)
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 02:21:28 PM »

Its overrated but I can see why people like it.Well no not really I didn't much care for it.

Happy anniversary in any case.

Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 02:25:28 PM »

I do think that Final Fantasy VII is overhyped as far as RPGs as a whole are concerned, but I do think it is arguably one of the best, if not the best in the Final Fantasy series. It was my first RPG on the PSX and I would not have been introduced to some of my more favorite RPGs had it not been for FFVII. And it definitely was a fun play and had some great atmosphere. I sometimes just leave Cloud standing in the middle of the snow at Icicle Inn to hear the music and watch the light shining out the windows, or hang out in Wall Market to hear the awesome theme (gotta love that bass line!)

Congratulations on 15 years FFVII.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 03:00:18 PM »

If there is one game I consider to be overhyped is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
In short I think FFVII put good characters, story, graphics, cinematic, emotions, all in one single package!

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 03:08:48 PM »

Pong is approaching a successful 40 years this June.  Congratulations, Pong!
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 04:29:04 PM »

Its overrated but I can see why people like it.Well no not really I didn't much care for it.

Happy anniversary in any case.

I'm glad to see others share my sentiment.... although I did enjoy it.... I really felt it actually was a step down from 6 and the beginning of the de-evolution of the FF plots into the non-sensical madness we must suffer in the franchises most recent installments....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 05:27:16 PM »

FF7 is a bit overhyped, but with good reason, although I think it's aged horribly, particularly with regards to the Lego-man character models.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 09:28:49 PM »

I've been playing it again, I love it still.

I wouldn't mind at least an HD version or something if they don't want a full top-to-bottom 3D game.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 09:58:47 PM »

I actually like FFVII. This is one of my dirty secrets.

However I wanna reinstall it on my PC and try some of the difficulty mods.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 11:07:40 PM »

I never played it, but I've seen how bad you can get with bad grammar. This guy are sick, everyone.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 03:30:03 AM »

I bought it at a store in Amman Jordon, It was pirated and I was little shitty about that. Bought it again when I got home and it was Legit. This game got me to influence allot of friends to try JRPG's. Good times!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 02:33:23 PM »

I've been wondering if any of you guys consider the Compilation of FFVII it's own thing or you actually see all that compilations of games, movies and what not part of the story of the original game.

Watched Advent Childrenm more than 3 times to understand it, and it wasn't until the "Complete" version that the movie started to make sense... still, I enjoy all the other FFVII stuff that SE has done but they been messing with the story so much that a lot fans don't even know what the story of the game is about at this point.

And after playing FFVII before watching AC I never saw the need for any type of sequel for FFVII since everything makes perfect sense and it ends fine. Then again, that happen with FFX too.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 02:45:21 PM »

Yawn. Pretty much everything important, except for the 3D was pioneered by FF6, which is a much more solid game IMO. FF7 was a step forward in graphics, and a step back in plot and characters.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 03:42:29 PM »

We can rant till we're purple in the face about how, say, Panzer Dragoon Saga was the more innovative watershed title in terms of gameplay, worldbuilding, storytelling, visual design, music, etc. but Final Fantasy VII did open the floodgates for more prolific console JRPG releases outside of Japan (remember how much we complained about all the good 16-bit titles staying in Japan?)  I think a lot of people dislike FF7 because it let "mainstream kiddies" into the formerly elite/exclusive RPG club.  Heck, it was watching a friend play FF7 that made me want to play "interactive anime" and since I only had a Genesis at the time, I cut my teeth on Phantasy Star.  

In much the same way, a lot of people can rant all they want about how Nirvana is a worse band than Mudhoney, but Nirvana ended up the vanguard who heralded a drastic change in mainstream musical movements.  I would agree that Mudhoney is a better band than Nirvana, but Nirvana did turn me onto that stripped-down, raw music and from there I delved deeper.   

So happy anniversary FF7.  Love you or hate you, you've earned your place in the annals of gaming history.  After all, the RPG market pre-FF7 is quite drastically different from the RPG market post-FF7, so it does mark eras, ya know?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:32:17 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: