Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 06:29:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338408 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy VII 15th Anniversary, Thread of "It has been that long?"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII 15th Anniversary, Thread of "It has been that long?"  (Read 11804 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 06:16:20 PM »

Some of my favorite events occur after disc 1, namely the Weapon assaults, the Lucrecia flashbacks, and pretty much everything with Hojo.

Of course mentioning Lucrecia flashbacks gave me a flashback to the Lucrecia flashbacks in Dirge of Cerberus and all the what the fuckery that it entailed.

That said, pretty much everything of interest after leaving Midgar happens in disk 2 aside from possibly dating Barret or having all your Materia stolen (if it weren't worth visiting just for the endless supply of Turbo Ethers I'd say fuck it and skip it (seriously just visiting Wutari on foot once is enough to break the remaining normal parts of the game; that shit just rains out there)).

Really though the game just felt like FFs V & VI but even more further removed from the D&D settings that inspired the series to begin with just smaller in scope due to technical limitations and crappy antagonists (Shinra's made of jokers after Midgar and you don't even know why you're pursuing Ol' Sephy until near the end of the disk; then suddenly there's a red blob in the sky, the overworld music's changed, you're down a party member, and a couple of Godzilla monsters bumming around only to occasionally menace a mega particle cannon armed city or a shithole and that's it).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012, 06:34:19 PM »

But the whole idea of suspending one's disbelief could carry to most any video game.  Even "realistic" games like Shen Mue and Heavy Rain rely on us to suspend our disbelief.  With FF7, if you play it enough and analyze it enough it has more holes than Swiss cheese and ends up collapsing on itself.  That's never stopped me from sitting back an enjoying the ride with any good game.  

In much the same way, you could analyze Nirvana, come to the conclusion that they're not that great a band and that the song "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is garbled nonsense that only pretends to be deep and meaningful.  

However, we look at music eras as pre-Nirvana and post-Nirvana in much the same way we look at RPGs as pre-FF7 and post-FF7.

Of course the Crazy Motorcycle sequence was shoehorned in there, but it didn't stop it from being pretty neat at the time.  I will admit, though, that all the retconning of the FF7 offshoots got ridiculous.  
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:36:55 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 12:03:36 AM »

Some of my favorite events occur after disc 1, namely the Weapon assaults, the Lucrecia flashbacks, and pretty much everything with Hojo.

Of course mentioning Lucrecia flashbacks gave me a flashback to the Lucrecia flashbacks in Dirge of Cerberus and all the what the fuckery that it entailed.

Don't remind me. I bought Dirge because of that.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 12:25:52 AM »

I like the part where that girl gets atabbed with a large sword.

You know, Tifa, right before you go demolish the end of the game. Cloud and her all cuddled up, you KNOW he hit that. Fuck squeenix, fuck fanboys, no straight man would not have hit that, I don't care if meteor was 3 inches from my dick and I had on a flammable condom covered in petroleum based lube, I'd still hit that.

Yeah but seriously, best part of vii was that sense of completion beating the battle arena that first time when you were searching for the keystone. You can't always win, but having Dario congratulate you and givenyou them items, fuck everything else, I was feeling pretty good right there.

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 12:44:16 AM »

You know, Tifa, right before you go demolish the end of the game. Cloud and her all cuddled up, you KNOW he hit that. Fuck squeenix, fuck fanboys, no straight man would not have hit that, I don't care if meteor was 3 inches from my dick and I had on a flammable condom covered in petroleum based lube, I'd still hit that.

That actually happens, and it is even mentioned in one of the Ultimania books published by Square Enix I remember correctly.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 04:54:42 AM »

That actually happens, and it is even mentioned in one of the Ultimania books published by Square Enix I remember correctly.

Did that same Ultimania book mention how Tifa sucked Cloud's cock while he was vegging out in Mideel?

Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 05:14:21 AM »

If you want to put it that way, Prime Mover, then FF6 was Mudhoney and FF7 was Nirvana. 

Best analogy ever..... Though I'm a way bigger fan of FF6 than I am 7, I would take Nirvana over Mudhoney.....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 11:06:20 AM »

Did that same Ultimania book mention how Tifa sucked Cloud's cock while he was vegging out in Mideel?

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 11:38:09 AM »

...and yet, it's Yuffie who kisses Cloud in the gondola during their Golden Saucer date and he just sits there like a catatonic lump.  I'm betting he also held back her hair while she puked off the edge of the Highwind.  I recall both of them had motion sickness. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAc9lGm2kWI around 5:19 I believe. 

So it's a love square!  A love pentagon if you want to include Barret since he's date-able too.

xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 10:20:41 PM »

I never played it, but I've seen how bad you can get with bad grammar. This guy are sick, everyone.
Don't be so weak. You're a Turks!

Perigryn
Infrequent, but still here.

Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2012, 03:41:19 AM »

In the spirit of this post, I thought I should toss in this pretty stellar review of the game. Actually opened my eyes to a few facts I didn't really know about the game's production. Also, it definitely threw my nostalgia into overdrive. Really wants to play this one again soon...

FFVII Review

Just Greg, thanks.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2012, 09:13:19 PM »

I could write quite a bit about what this game meant to me personally. This game was a huge part of my childhood. I was 8 years old when I started playing and had no concept of what role-playing was at all. All I knew was that I was playing a very strange game, but even at that young age I took a liking to it instantly. Since I was so young and inexperienced with this genre, it took me fucking forever to progress through the game, and the fact that me and a neighbor/friend were sharing another friend's copy of the game didn't help, since I had to do without it for days at a time. I think it took me at least a year to finally beat it, which is hilarious. I also remember discovering GameFAQs around this time and poring through FAQs and guides. Anyway, my memories of this game are so entirely shrouded in nostalgia that it's impossible for me to have anything resembling an unbiased opinion of it. I actually left this game alone for all of the '00s, but I replayed it about 2 years ago. Honestly, the only problem I had with it now that I know what I'm doing was the fact that it was way too easy. At least the Weapons were tough. But yeah, if I ever play it again I'll definitely do some kind of materia-only challenge or what-have-you.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2012, 08:21:06 AM »

Although One-Winged Angel is often cited is the all time best final boss theme, I can't be the only one who liked "Birth of a God" way better. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTW_wy8cydI

Wingman

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2012, 08:38:59 AM »

I started a new playthrough of FF7 not too long ago. Still enjoy the game, but there are parts I just didn't feel like playing through again. None the less, it's still a great game after all these years. I would love to play a  version with a better translation, though!

Congrats to FF7 and all it's success.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2012, 08:40:32 AM »

Although One-Winged Angel is often cited is the all time best final boss theme, I can't be the only one who liked "Birth of a God" way better. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTW_wy8cydI

This is the theme that played during the Bizzaro Sephiroth fight right? I kinda liked the theme used during the fight before this one's where you fight Jenova for the last time more than this one.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: