Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:25:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330162 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fire Emblem Series
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fire Emblem Series  (Read 998 times)
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:32:29 PM »

Before December, I didn't know diddly-squat about Fire Emblem except for the fact that Marth Debuted In Smash Bros...with Roy, and then Ike came along.

A little into December, and I was given The Sacred Stones for free because I'm part of the Ambassador Program. After that, I've asked myself WHY THE HELL HAVE I BEEN WATCHING THE GAMES WITHOUT PLAYING THEM.

Case in point, the games are simply awesome. I got Shadow Dragon yesterday, but anyway, discuss.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:33:22 AM »

In before Shadow Dragon hate.

That said Sacred Stones is probably the easiest game in the series to get into since you're given a number of powerhouses and unlimited grinding which most games in the series don't feature. The Gamecube/Wii games Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are probably the best games the west has seen officially thus far and both feature Ike. Shadow Dragon on the other hand is basically a remake of either the first game Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light or the first half of the third game Mystery of the Emblem but in either case it was played way too straight for most people and the lack of rose tinted glasses (along with everyone's insistence that all fictional characters must have some kind of soap opera type character traits and bad graphics) meant that it wasn't received well at all. To the point where the other DS remake, the one featuring the other half of Mystery of the Emblem, hasn't left Japan which has also pissed everyone off due to the fact that it was given less silly gaiden chapter requirements and included both additional downloadable quests like DQIX and an additional remake of the Bandai Satelliteview games and is the first game to contain any content outside of that particular service. And then there's the game simply referred to as Fire Emblem which is a more straight take on the series formula than Sacred Stones was so you may want to look into that one as well; it also offers better replayability than the others since you can play through most of the game from two different perspectives both of which have their own maps and for one of them exclusive recruits (additionally Roy's in it but only as a cameo since it's a prequel to the game he's actually playable in).

And then there are the games that never left Japan which you might also want to look into as they include some of the best games in the series like Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776; the former from a design standpoint and the latter from a difficulty standpoint. And then there's Gaiden and Sword of Seals; the former of which is an interesting curiosity from the NES era but hasn't aged that well and the latter is the first GBA era game and is the one with Roy in it.

The tl;dr is that these are for the most part excellent games if you have the stomach for them as they can be a bit brutal and unforgiving at times. There's a surprising amount of depth to them and they've been around since the NES era so there's plenty to look at as well. And though nowadays the series has settled on a formula, earlier on it tried some experimental things that might be worth looking into.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Emonzaemon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 10:39:34 AM »

I've played some of the Old Fire Emblems two or three times on the Gameboy, Bought the Wii Radiance of Dawn or whatever, without playing the GC.
I love fire emblem, even if it's stupid/hard at times.

It can require an almost masochistic dedication if you want to keep everyone alive while building those little relationships for stat boost and so on.
They will probably never give it a quality story, plot, or stop remaking the first 2 games....BUT it's still good for what you get.

Ace Combat is kind like that.

But if you like tactical/strategy games fire emblem will fill you with joy.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:41:58 PM »

It can require an almost masochistic dedication if you want to keep everyone alive while building those little relationships for stat boost and so on.
They will probably never give it a quality story, plot, or stop remaking the first 2 games....BUT it's still good for what you get.

http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=10071.0

(It's too bad that I don't care for the art style.)

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 07:08:42 PM »

I think I like Shadow Dragon a lot. Changing classes at will is really fun.

Too bad the rest of the characters don't have supports or anything. Both Marth and Caeda seem to be the master keys to recruit all characters...

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 11:27:40 PM »

And next up on my list is Path of Radiance. Once I clear this game, I'll be considering getting Radiant Dawn.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 05:11:43 PM »

I've been a longtime fan of this series as some people here know. But I haven't actually played Radiant Dawn or Shadow Dragon, even though I own almost every game.. including the Japan-only ones. I love the GBA games, even if FE7 (the first English one) and Sacred Stones are too damn easy.

I wish they'd remake the last two SFC/SNES ones though. (Holy War and Thracia 776)... those games kicked my ass a lot and I don't think I finished them.

Still kind of annoyed we never got Shadow Dragon's sequel, which doesn't make me hopeful about Awakening coming over. Not that I have a 3DS anyway.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 08:20:41 PM »

So I learned that balancing levels for all units makes a really bad team for the endgame.

*Deletes all files*

So many characters, yet not enough experience. I'd have to choose my chosen ones for Shadow Dragon.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 02:29:13 AM »

I have always found it difficult to keep EVERY unit leveled in Fire Emblem games. I go with ones who I like/have stat growth I can deal with. eg. if there's 3-4 mages, I go with only a couple. Etc. That way I make beasts out of some units, rather than have an entirely mediocre squad.

And don't waste EXP on Jeigans unless you have to.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 10:19:31 AM »

a problem i have with some fire emblem games is a lack of character balance. its usually not a problem on lower difficulties but at higher difficulties its a huge problem. especialy in the 2 DS remakes. the gc/wii games are better about this because theres few characters that are genuinely bad. but those DS games left a bad taste in my mouth.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 10:35:03 AM »

Radiant Dawn's a great game, but it goes on forever. Took an entire four week vacation to finish it.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: