Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 08:50:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334650 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Michael Pachter: PC Gaming has become a niche
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Michael Pachter: PC Gaming has become a niche  (Read 1292 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2006, 10:09:00 PM »

News blurb.

I've seen other news stories commenting on that analyst's words, and 1up links to Gamustra's report, but... Hmm. What do you guys think? If Microsoft is successful, that may change, but it seems true to me.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 10:12:23 PM »

I think that while box sales are certainly down, people are becoming more content to buy a game at $50, and then continue to pay a fee to add onto that game.  Look at World of Warcraft.  It's had 6 million+ box sales, and is number 1 just about every week in sales.  That's a big number, but it's far from what Vivendi makes total on the game.  With the amount of subscribers the game has, the net from non-box sales is nearing one billion dollars a year.

It's far from dead, but the numbers aren't coming from the same places analysts have looked in the past.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 10:13:43 PM »

Hmmm. Given my brother's amount of WoW gaming compared to anything else, you're right about that.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 10:33:57 PM »

I've had an outdated PC for several years, so I'm in no position to start playing high-end PC games, but that is the issue. If the PC games market is to grow, then, as the article suggests, Intel and AMD/ATI should create affordable hardware. The games are already there, so I don't believe that's the problem.

Another potential issue can be the level of difficulty of installing the game. Sometime ago, I bought Tribes 2 used, and I couldn't start it up for the life of me. There was an error, and I needed some patch, but when I tried it, even that didn't work.
Morwan

Herniated Dick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 11:49:13 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
Look at World of Warcraft.  It's had 6 million+ box sales, and is number 1 just about every week in sales.  That's a big number, but it's far from what Vivendi makes total on the game.  With the amount of subscribers the game has, the net from non-box sales is nearing one billion dollars a year.

I would take that as an indication that PC gaming is becoming a niche, albeit for different reasons than the article suggests. MMOs require a large time commitment, something many people aren't willing to buy into. While there is potential for growth in that market, it's small compared to the rest of the gaming population.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 09:39:34 AM »

I think it's way too early to call anything 'niche'. Niche only applies when the market shrinks to the point that it's actually somewhat rare to find someone who owns or plays something of a kind. Shin Megami Tensei is still a niche series for instance, but it's starting to grow out from that in the West. If PC gaming's going niche, we might as well say PSP is a niche console, and not in fact a mainstream handheld. Let's face it, millions of people are still going for PCs. Otherwise SOE would be shit outta luck on most of their titles. How many people play Everquest II, Star Wars Galaxies, etc?

With things going multi-platform, yes, PC gaming may become niche, but that won't happen for years. The word probably won't be truly applicable until consoles become a bit more open-concept and let you swap out graphic cards, etc.

Analysts just like to jump the gun the minute they see a depression anywhere in the market. Look out folks, crude oil's becoming niche!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: