Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 05:49:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327900 Posts in 13424 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Non-RPG Playstation One Games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Non-RPG Playstation One Games  (Read 3868 times)
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2012, 07:30:13 PM »

I pretty much missed out on games in the PSX era and seeing the post about Colony Wars got me to thinking. It's easy to read the reviews here concerning RPG's and I have purchased (and played) many but I was wondering what non-RPG's you guys (RPG'ers) think are good games and worth checking out. And for the record I don't speak or read Japanese so I'm mainly interested in NA releases.

Everything's Eventual
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:17:12 PM »

Hey Bytor, heres a few I enjoyed at the time:

THPS2 - Not the best version of the game but it does run really well on the old ps1. Lots of realistic and un-realistic skateboard moves

Silent Bomber - Old school shooter in a 3d environment, as the title says it's based off blowing things up

Shadowman - Under the skin, this game is pure evil. The serial killers and music freaked me out, Out of my 3 suggestions i'd easily recommend this one over the others. There's soilers here but check the plot out - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Man_%28video_game%29
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 01:21:16 AM »

Klonoa ang MGS are favorites, and the Legacy of Kain games are highly regarded, though I guess 1 goes into RPG proper whereas the sequel doesn't. I'll throw more in when they come to mind, the problem is a lot of them either aged poorly, or are made irrelevant but newer, more modern entries that play roughly the same yet look much better and have online play and assorted issues ironed out (like the Wipeout series).
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 01:58:24 AM »

Shadowman - Under the skin, this game is pure evil. The serial killers and music freaked me out, Out of my 3 suggestions i'd easily recommend this one over the others. There's spoilers here but check the plot out - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Man_%28video_game%29

Love Shadowman but I can only play the Dreamcast version. The PS1 version is atrocious.

For me, there were great racers like Wipeout XL, Ridge Racer 4 and Need For Speed High Stakes and even Driver
Weird quirky games like Incredible Crisis and Looney Tunes Sheep Raider
Fun shooters like Medal of Honour/MOH Underground and Syphon Filter
Point and click games like Blazing Dragons, Discworld and Psychic Detectives
Horror games like Silent Hill, RE 1-3 and Vampire Hunter D
Shooters like Future Cop LAPD and Ghost in the Shell plus shmups like Einhander and even decent versions of Descent/Forsaken
3rd person action/stealth like MGS, Tenchu, Dino Crisis and Fear Effect

The PS1 had all the bases covered.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 03:59:24 AM »

Colony Wars

GPolice is a favorite of mine

Jumping Flash

Castlevania: SoTN

Legacy of Kain and Soul Reaver (I freaking LOVE the story in soul reaver tho the game will probably feel dated.)

Mega Man Legends is fun as hell

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 01:13:07 PM »

MML is good, though I don't think it's aged too well. Out of the side-scrolling MM games X4 is probably the best on the system. X5 and 8 are okay. X6 is garbage.

Tomba
Metal Slug
Ape Escape
Einhander
Crash Bandicoot
Klonoa
MGS
Legacy of Kain
SOTN
Gunner's Heaven
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 03:14:28 PM »

The Deception series is probably the best thing on the PS1, outside all the RPGs.

hardcoregaming101.net/deception/deception.htm
(c/o yours truly :P)

Those and the Fear Effect games, especially FE1.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 03:37:25 PM »

I love the two Oddworld games on the Playstation (Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus), and being 2D they've aged much better than their contemporaries. Even the FMVs hold up better than most other games from the time.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 03:45:53 PM »

The Deception series is probably the best thing on the PS1, outside all the RPGs.

The original Tecmo's Deception was the first game I owned for the PSone (Toshinden aside) and I still love it.  The first one's a wee bit simplistic at this point, but Kagero is still fun.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 06:39:05 PM »

pick up NBA Jam.

Demolition Derby

Wild 9 has NOT aged well.

Philosoma was a good show
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 09:49:23 PM »

Shadowman - Under the skin, this game is pure evil. The serial killers and music freaked me out, Out of my 3 suggestions i'd easily recommend this one over the others. There's spoilers here but check the plot out - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Man_%28video_game%29

Love Shadowman but I can only play the Dreamcast version. The PS1 version is atrocious.

The PC, DC and n64 versions are better though he has the PSX, it plays fine except for the grainy graphics and a bug or 2.

I agree with deception series, it's like human lemmings but funnier. For those who have a PS3 the Japanese PSN has deception 3 on PsOne classics.

Also, I recomend Sould Blade as an excellent Fighter and Ridge racer 4 as the best in the series imho. Any of the bomberman games are brilliant for multiplayer mayhem
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 12:32:50 AM »

Deception 3's my favorite in the series, but Kagero is a close second. 'Trapt'(blech) is #3. Great looking, though.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 02:28:59 AM »

Einhander is an awesome rail shooter to try out. I recently ran through that a few times. Give that a whirl for a non rpg title. Other good non rpg games i could recommend are castlevania sotn though yeah it has a bunch of rpg elements, mega man legends 1 and 2, Silent Hill (still pretty scary for its age), tomba, tekken 3 which is AWESOME, and off the top of my head still probably resident evil 2 because 1 just doesn't feel all that scary.

Honestly, I preferred rpgs on psx to most other games. Most of the action and adventure titles on psx haven't aged well, so going back to those is kind of painful on the senses. At least ps2 stuff still holds it own more or less.

TASTY!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 02:50:55 AM »

Overblood
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 10:26:37 AM »

Wild 9 has NOT aged well.

I never thought Wild 9 was particularly good to begin with.  It was really gimmicky and was the first title during Shiny's funk period (Wild 9, Messiah, etc.)

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: