Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 11:40:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334638 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Non-RPG Playstation One Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Non-RPG Playstation One Games  (Read 4174 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 06:57:45 PM »

Deception 3's my favorite in the series, but Kagero is a close second. 'Trapt'(blech) is #3. Great looking, though.

This person speaks truth.  Be prepared for an assload of Engrish, though.

I've got a soft spot for the first Dino Crisis and the first Syphon Filter, but I have a feeling neither one of them has aged well.  I should pull them out and see. :P

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 07:44:39 PM »

I've got a soft spot for the first Dino Crisis and the first Syphon Filter, but I have a feeling neither one of them has aged well.  I should pull them out and see. :P

Judging by my quick try of Syphon Filter through a PSN+ trial... Nope! But then I wanted proper dual analog and I couldn't do that even in the third game.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 09:55:26 PM »

I highly recommend Intelligent Qube if you're into puzzle games.

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 10:09:22 PM »

My favorite PS1 games that aren't RPGs are Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Mega Man X4, and Klonoa: Door to Phantomile.  Lots of quality games on the system.  FF VII and MMX4 were the two biggest reasons I got a PS1 instead of an N64 way back in the day (circa early 1998). 

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 11:40:42 PM »

Oh hey I started a thing.

Anyway not counting the stuff I bought over the past two weeks and might continue buying because I have nothing else to do...

Jumping Flash. I fucking love these games.They're like, FPS/Platformer hybrids, but it actually works because of how the view angle works or whatever. Really creative levels. Lots of stuff to find. Very charm.

Spyro 1/2. I got really into 3D platformers a few years back and ended up picking these up. Way after I was young enough to be in the target audience. They're pretty great, and like, in terms of visuals and controls really hold up well. Maybe a little easy, but these aren't the kind of games that would work with extreme difficultly.

Megaman Legends - Noting these; not going into detail because technically they're pretty much RPGs.

Aquanaut's Holiday - I am probably the only person that likes this, but it's really creepy and inspiring and huge. AH2 was disappointing because you have seven fairly small seas and a discovery counter instead of one, huge world.

Soul Blade - I actually like this more than Soul Calibur 2. Despite being more refined, Conquest mode was basically a grindfest, whereas SB's single player had like, unique challenge maps and stuff.

Tomba - I can't say I ever really got THAT far in this, but I really adored what I did play of it.

R-Types - Okay, they're ports, but they were pretty much the best R-Type ports at the time.

Also I started playing Syphon Filter, having gotten it recently. Low resolution and the Mara Aramov chase aside, it seems like it plays pretty well still. Kind of easy and there are some aspects of the controls I find weird tho.

I'm finding Tenchu a lot clunkier, although that might just be me sucking at it.

Anyway this is the part where I trawl for recommendations:

- Got Fear Effect last weekend. Played some of it and seems up my alley. Saw FE2 and was thinking about grabbing it since it's cheap. cj_iwakura seems to indicate that FE1 was better though.

- Soul Reaver looks pretty interesting as well but it seems like the PC and DC versions were... better. Also I never got into LoK1 because of the wonky field of view. Is that something I really should play first?

- How was Medievil?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:15:39 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 03:21:26 AM »

I really think we should stop calling symphony of the night a not-rpg. It has more rpg elements than some of the rpgs I've played in the last 5 years. All in favor...uh yeah just call it an rpg if you're in favor.

TASTY!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 09:28:49 AM »

SotN is probably best described as a sidescrolling dungeon crawl. I don't like the term Metroidvania -- partially because Castelvania didn't gain the Metroidian elements until SotN (C2 doesn't count for various reasons), partially because the Metroid-style Castlevanias are outright RPGs, and those mechanics really alter how the game actually plays out.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 02:16:37 PM »

I remember Medievil being really clunky, even back in the day, but my memory is pretty fuzzy on that game.

If you want a fun cart game that doesn't include Mario, Crash Team Racing is actually really solid.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 03:10:49 PM »

If you want a really mindblowing experience....

Tail of the Sun
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 03:27:33 PM »

Tail of the Sun

I actually have that. I never really figured it out.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 10:31:20 PM »

Medievil IS really clunky, particularly on the ps3's PsOne classics.  Getting a bit out of control here Bytor, but there's been some excellent suggestions. I'll add a couple more, Someone mentioned Spyro? I really enjoyed this one regardless of the cuteness. I actually recieved all of the spyro's recently but unfortunately they are all disc only.

Anyway, I suggest "Driver 2", there's a good game to be had in an attempt to make a PS1 sandbox game.

GTA2, A top down version of general chaos
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 12:08:34 AM »

Tail of the Sun

I actually have that. I never really figured it out.

keep eating things. you eventually get better weapons. use better and better weapons to kill bigger and bigger things.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 12:11:37 AM »

GTA2, A top down version of general chaos

What's great there is you can legitimately play it for free.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 06:52:12 AM »

I'm going to second Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen and Soul Reaver. To this day I'm always bitching that a new entry into the series is long overdue.  Twisted Metal 2 is always a good time and if you like racing, R4, Sled Storm and Crash Team Racing are some of my favorites.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 01:17:25 PM »

Fear Effect 2 is a prequel, so you can play it first, but you'll appreciate some elements more if you played FE1 before it.

Inferno was the biggest loss ever. It looked like it was going to be more twisted than 1 & 2 combined, and that's saying something. (It got cancelled before it came out, supposed to have been a PS2 game.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:21:46 PM by cj_iwakura » Logged

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: