Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 02:19:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329973 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Hakuoki - Demon of the Fleeting Blossom
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Hakuoki - Demon of the Fleeting Blossom  (Read 6450 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 02:56:28 PM »

The Saito path's main theme is "falling apart;" that's how it comes off to me from everything that happens, at least.  If not that, then "change that one cannot control." I admit, Saito's character archetype is one of my favorites; I think he's really quite cute. My main issue with it is that, compared with the other paths' main characters, the heroine really comes off as bland. She literally has no thoughts of her own compared to the better heroines in Okita and Harada's paths.  I think this is because Saito would prefer a quieter, more subdued, woman and the game made her so.

Some thoughts on the other paths - minimal spoilers follow, but nothing game-breaking.
I'm saving Hijikata's for last because it's by far the longest and also seems like it was meant as, dare I say, canon.

Chikage's is more interesting than anything.  The "Normal" ending here is happier than the "Happy" ending. The "Happy" ending was probably the saddest moment in the game for me.

Okita's is the tragedy, but also has some very interesting parts to it that aren't elaborated on in other paths.  This is the second longest path.

Harada's path is unique.  That's all I'll say.  He's the only character that doesn't do something and the path is quite different from the others because of his motives and relationships.  He is very, very sweet. Not passionate like Heisuke, simply kind and devoted.  This path also is the only one that gives development to the final member of Chikage's group.

I'm planning on doing Heisuke next.  He's a sweetie, but his voice is horrible. I think I'm going to mute it.

I have to say, all of the antagonists are actually quite well developed, with reasons that aren't obnoxious or pathetic. I was quite impressed with how well they were handled, and how their development is spread across the various paths.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:09:04 PM by Cyril » Logged
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »

Hijikata's path must be a pain to pursue.

Agreed on Chizuru in Saitou's path. I swear half her dialogue is either 'What!?' or 'Huh!?' if not '*gasp*'.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »

Chikage's, or Kazama's if you prefer, path is the the NG+ only one.  It's meant as more of an external view of the later chapters and I'd say it was good to do after Saito, because Saito's path gives you a clearer view on the situation that happens late in the game with Shinsengumi than some of the others (namely, Harada and Okita).  If not then, maybe once you've finished all of the paths.

I don't really want to spoil anything, but I will say that it was handled well and isn't, to my great sadness, a typical "heroine falls for antagonist" story.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:14:13 PM by Cyril » Logged
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 03:13:46 PM »

Didn't even realize he was the antagonist, and now knowing that he is, I have a hard time seeing that route as ending well for Chizy.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 04:12:48 PM »

Some final thoughts, now that I've finished all of the paths.

The sub-characters are great.  I found myself just as attached to them as I was the main characters. Yamazaki, Inoue, Shimada, even Sanan.

To get the clearest view of the story and characters, primarily antagonists, you must clear all paths.  For example, one antagonist is only really elaborated at all in Harada's path.  Chikage comes off as villainous in one path and, dare I say, tsundere in another. One antagonist only appears in a single route yet is a very important character.  Recurring antagonists in routes redeem themselves in some and in others come off as more "evil."

I ended up learning quite a bit of Japanese history.  If anything, the game is great for that.

For a quick, spoiler-free rundown of the paths, I'm going to categorize them:

In-Depth and expands storyline the most:
Hijikata (The game's title is explained in this path)
Okita

Sad/Depressing:
Chikage/Kazama
Saito

Happy/Cute/Sweet:
Harada
Heisuke

Harada ended up my favorite route. Saito's route is my least favorite, despite me doing it first and him being one of my favorite characters.  Chizuru develops differently in each and Saito's Chizuru is just so. . .ugh.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:39:23 AM by Cyril » Logged
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 11:16:28 PM »

Hmm... starting to wish I didn't leave Saito for last then!

I have been playing this and have gotten the "happy" endings to all of the paths so far. Playing through Harada now and with Saito left to go.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 10:52:46 AM »

Cyril,

That's a pretty good, and accurate, breakdown of the paths. I also did all 6 paths and really enjoyed them.

It's interesting what kinds of decisions in the first 3 chapters net you affection with the different characters. Like with Harada, being passive and just waiting for someone to rescue you is the key. But that doesn't mean Harada is passive, or that he wants a girl who is passive. It has to do with what Harada has to teach from his own life.

Or with Okita, it's all about lashing out and being irrationally aggressive. Which, if you go through his path, you both learn together how that can't always work.

Now I just have my fingers crossed that Aksys will bring more VNs our way. Otomate Label for the win ^_^

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 10:20:31 AM »

My husband was like "you mean you don't get to fight or anything? Why not just get a book then?" but this was actually an enjoyable change of pace from "normal" gaming and normal books. I'd love to see some more of these.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 05:15:57 PM »

My personal thoughts were that I went in expecting a romance story with a touch of adventure, and it turned out being the entire opposite. Great historical drama with very, very light romantic elements.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: