Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 08:56:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327722 Posts in 13418 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Loot and all about it
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Loot and all about it  (Read 639 times)
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2012, 06:36:14 PM »

One of the things that draws me to RPGs is the variety of loot. There aren't many other things that keep me exploring the game world in the same way.

I have to say, probably one of my favorite games of all time ( and I can narrow it down to 2 ) is Diablo 2. No other game seems to nail the random generator as well as D2 does. I remember my friend making a Necromaner, running out to the blood moor and popping open the first chest which contained a Gull dagger. Not the hardest weapon to come by, yet, still fairly valuable and you could play for days or even weeks and perhaps never find one. When you do those magic find runs or cow runs and you see that unique drop that you A) have never seen drop before B) know is worth a fortune or C) actually need plus A and B, I have never gotten the same feeling from another game.

From D2 on, loot has become one of the main features for me. Poor loot variety or RPGs were everyone ends up with the same top gear don't usually interest me as much.

I also like multiple effects on gear. D2 spoiled me in this way. When games have low variety in loot, have the same loot hidden in the same spots, I gotta take off big points for that.

So, what game or games do you think have the best loot? What games do you think have the worst loot?  I'm bored at work, let's discuss it.

Other games I like the loot in are Demon/Dark Souls, Two Worlds 2 and Morrowind. I feel Dark Souls gets it so right with the variety and equipping options.

I was once a pick up artist like you until I took an RPG to the knee.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 07:13:35 PM »

Torchlight = Perfect
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 07:28:47 PM »

Torchlight = Perfect
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 07:41:36 PM »

Need a PC for that ...

What makes it perfect?

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 07:49:39 PM »

That random generator in D2? Take that and make it twice as awesome, add in tons of unique items on top of it, and you have Torchlight.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 07:50:22 PM »

FYI, the game is available on Mac and Xbox Live Arcade.  It actually plays best on the Xbox 360 IMO, due to direct movement controls.

Also, alchemist is the best class.  See: my avatar.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 07:55:40 PM »

I like when games have sparse loot, like Demon's Souls and every time you find something there are two or three different things it can be used for and they're all important.

Games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion suck at "loot" because 1/2 the time you're avoiding trash pickups that are meaningless.

I like look in Dragon Age because it's easy to see what's useful and what's not and selling junk helps boost the coffers early in the game. Of course by midgame when you're rich as fuck it doesn't matter.

I want to say Borderlands had loot right... but I never found any really awesome weapons, and if I did a dumb friend grabbed it. I feel like I never got the really awesome weapons in that. Maybe I'm just a whiny turdhead.
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 11:24:10 PM »

I agree that the loot in the Bethesda open world games is pretty poor in my opinion. However, I think Morrowind did it pretty good. There was the most variety in an Elder Scrolls and Enchant was easy to use on the go.

Wish I could play Torchlight, but, my PC is ancient. Posting here from my iPhone mainly.

It seems to me that PC games always do loot better than console... Not to mention MODs that add a ton.  I need a PC... Stuck on PS3 for now.

I was pretty disappointed with Skyrims loot. There should just be 100's of misc. swords, daggers and bows to start.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 01:33:07 AM by Fyle » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: