Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 08:32:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319029 Posts in 13030 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What kind of PSP and DS should I get?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What kind of PSP and DS should I get?  (Read 660 times)
pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2012, 04:09:46 PM »

I've been thinking about getting both since my wife wants a DS and I want a PSP. I don't know which model would be the best to get. Any ideas from those that have either or both?
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 04:21:03 PM »

If you have any GBA games, get a DSLite.

Otherwise get an XL. Although I hear those are still a little pricey compared to the 3DS.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 04:28:43 PM »

For the PSP, will you be getting games via UMD or mainly through digital downloads off PSN? If the former, PSP-3000. If the latter, PSPGo or spring for a Vita.

For the DS, will you be playing any GBA games or only DS games? If the former, go with a DS Lite. If the latter, try for a 3DS since you'll be able to play games both old and new.

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 04:38:11 PM »

the black DS lite is one of the sexiest gaming devices ever.

It's also well built too. I love that thing

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 04:53:19 PM »

It really comes down to how much you care about aesthetics.

If you don't care how nice the consoles look, get a DS Lite and either a PSP-1000 or 2000. They're very cheap these days and are both very functional. In fact, the DS Lite should be your DS of choice anyway. The PSP model doesn't matter much.

pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 05:48:50 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

For the PSP, will you be getting games via UMD or mainly through digital downloads off PSN? If the former, PSP-3000. If the latter, PSPGo or spring for a Vita.

For the DS, will you be playing any GBA games or only DS games? If the former, go with a DS Lite. If the latter, try for a 3DS since you'll be able to play games both old and new.

Is the PSN more for those that have a PS3? The reason I ask is that I don't have a PS3. It if it is, then I will go with UMD. As far as the DS goes, I would like to get a XL but they are a little pricey, and yes I would like to play GBA games on the DS.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 05:54:18 PM »

You don't have to have a PS3 for the PSN, but you definitely make the most of it with one. You can easily download demos(from any region!) from the PS3 and swap them to the PSP with USB connectivity, not to mention media and such.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 06:42:58 PM »

The PSP doesn't multi-task at all, meaning when it's downloading something you can't do anything with it but sit there and watch the progress bar.  For this reason alone I prefer to download stuff on my PS3 and then copy it over.  Not to mention that the PSP did come out like 7 years ago and its wifi has issues connecting to certain types of WPA2 networks...but still, you can access all the content from the PSP itself so long as you're patient.

Still, since you obviously don't have an existing UMD collection I would seriously consider just saving up for a Vita.  You can still play PSP games on it (through the PSN) but then you can access Vita content as well.

Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 01:22:07 PM »

I personally like the PSP 2000 best as far as the screen/visual quality is concerned.... Screw the vita until they make it so I can hook it to my TV!!..... I'm still so upset about that fact.... that is the best part of the PSP for me....

Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: