Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 05:28:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341042 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary Thread -- Making people crazy since 1987, kupo!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary Thread -- Making people crazy since 1987, kupo!  (Read 36595 times)
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 12:25:10 AM »

I think the voice acting was more an issue with writing than acting, particularly during the "laughing scene." You could hire Patrick Stewart for that part and it still wouldn't have sounded any better. If I were in charge of localization, I would have just probably cut that scene out. Death to all who insult FFX's gameplay, though.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 02:53:54 AM »

I think the voice acting was more an issue with writing than acting, particularly during the "laughing scene." You could hire Patrick Stewart for that part and it still wouldn't have sounded any better. If I were in charge of localization, I would have just probably cut that scene out. Death to all who insult FFX's gameplay, though.

I'll admit it. The thought of Patrick Stewart voicing Tidus for the FFX HD remake is hilarious, and I'd even bet that he could blow the previous version out of the water (well okay, maybe not completely since even John Dimaggio couldn't salvage Wakka; and I have the distinct feeling like I'm opening a can of VA worms here, but my circuitous point here is that the direction would probably screw the performance over either way).

Granted, there would be no way in hell that Squeenix would ever consider this given that this would go against Tidus's character traits and we can't possibly have that (at the very least though they wouldn't cheap out on it like Bethesda did with Oblivion).

Regardless, it's most likely that we're probably just going to get the same recordings recycled from over a decade ago.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 03:16:42 AM »

I don't want to see the same mess that happened with Silent Hill HD Collection again. I still don't get how Konami fucked up both games so badly...
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 04:21:04 PM »

Honestly, I blame the voice director for as much of this as the actress, if not moreso. I think the guy had Yuna's VA record her "Okay" line ONCE and then reused it everytime she needed to say that. Horrible.

Spot on. Director's should be given credit/criticism more than they do. Sure, actors/voice actors are the people you see and hear, but every decision is the director's to make. Even the best actors blow many takes, it's the director's job to coax the best performance out of the actor, either by doing it enough times to get a really good take, coaching them, or finding them coaches (nothing to be ashamed of, different rolls take different unique acting research and practice). Part of my job is to do voiceovers or direct voiceovers for my commercials. If I don't like the way someone delivers something, I have them do it over... and over... and over, if necessary. I force them to identify and modify their inflection, stress, and style. At the end of the day, it's my responsibility, and I take the criticism/credit for the overall quality of the piece.

Yuna's voice is a great example. For all we know, the voice actress could be very talented. She certainly has no problems with her voice, itself. But she was given the impression, for whatever reason, to voice the character in an incredibly stilted manner. Also, you can tell that sometimes she just wasn't able to get into the roll, and it sounds forced. I think the localization has something to do with it too (also the director's responsibility). For the most part, Tidus's script wasn't bad, but i think they struggled with Yuna's. It's largely cultural: Yuna's personality is that of a stereotypical demure Japanese lady, for which there is no real western counterpart. The truth is, the localizers should have probably taken a bit more liberty in slightly re-defining Yuna's personality for western audiences. I believe that localizers have a duty to try to make the audiences feel as close to how the original language's audiences did. To a Japanese audience, Yuna's character is recognizable, and probably fairly comfortable. But to western audiences, it becomes awkward and calls more attention to itself than it probably should. Then put it in English, and it becomes even more bizarre. It's then the localizers' job to ratchet down the personality aspects that would make western audiences respond differently to the character than Japanese audiences. Again... director's responsibility. By the time it got to the voice actress, there wasn't a whole lot she could do to smooth out the character. And probably the director was still not thinking so much about western audience's different response to the character, and was pushing the voice actress to be as demure as possible. That was their decision, and I believe it was a bad one. Of course, localization teams have to answer to home base, and it may have been that the Japanese office is to blame for forcing these awkward cultural aspects on the localization project.

That said, I hear that the English voice acting is miles ahead of the Japanese, in this case. I gather they used the motion capture actors to do the voice acting, with very poor results. Many people claim that it's one of the worst Japanese voice acting jobs in video games.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2012, 07:05:15 AM »

^Does Yuna has the same voice in Dissidia 012?
yep.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2012, 04:28:02 AM »

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest review

Also known as "Final Fantasy USA: Mystic Quest" in Japan. In short, the game is "Final Fantasy for dumb people" that also happen to have surprisingly awesome music and a fuckton of charm.

Though, I like this cover of the battle theme more.

Did anyone here has played it?
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2012, 01:41:12 PM »

Its a very easy, charming FF. I blew through it in one weekend (and that's with sleep, food, etc), whereas FFIV took me months.

The music is really catch though. I still have tunes in my head.
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2012, 04:03:50 PM »

Also known as "Final Fantasy USA: Mystic Quest" in Japan. In short, the game is "Final Fantasy for dumb people" that also happen to have surprisingly awesome music and a fuckton of charm.

Mystic quest was a blemish on my pristine memories of the beginning of the golden era of RPG's for me....  to be honest its been far too long since I played it to tell you what left me with such an ill impression of the title... I do remember appreciating on screen enemies and some different play mechanics though (jumping and swinging a sword in real time on the map screens if I recall correctly)

Back from the hay-day of FFVI, Chrono, Secret of Mana (the real square titans in my mind...) I remember Mystic quest and Secret of Evermore really leaving a bad taste in my mouth.... Evermore I remember much more clearly..... I recall the MC's sprite making me feel as though I was always playing as the older brother from the show "The Wonder Years".... I freakin' hated it....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Pmayo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2012, 08:10:11 AM »

Mystic quest was a blemish on my pristine memories of the beginning of the golden era of RPG's for me....  to be honest its been far too long since I played it to tell you what left me with such an ill impression of the title... I do remember appreciating on screen enemies and some different play mechanics though (jumping and swinging a sword in real time on the map screens if I recall correctly)

Back from the hay-day of FFVI, Chrono, Secret of Mana (the real square titans in my mind...) I remember Mystic quest and Secret of Evermore really leaving a bad taste in my mouth.... Evermore I remember much more clearly..... I recall the MC's sprite making me feel as though I was always playing as the older brother from the show "The Wonder Years".... I freakin' hated it....

I played both games at the time, even owned Secret of Evermore. I have not played it in a very long time, but my memories of Evermore are all positive. I do remember some big market area where you had to trade stuff that got kind of annoying, but I liked it enough to beat the game. Maybe its just nostalgia talking, so it does not hold up?

Even though I was young, I do remember Mystic Quest feeling a little to simple, probably because I was also playing some of those golden RPGs you where talking about at the same time. Strangely I have no memories of Mystic Quests music, which checking it out on yotube now, is excellent. Who is the composer for that?

Rumors about my snacks are false. They are not so hot you die of coughing
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2012, 03:32:13 PM »

Who is the composer for that?

Yasuhiro Kawakami and Ryuji Sasai.

And according to VGMdb Sasai worked on the music for the SaGa games for GameBoy.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2012, 07:37:43 AM »

"Six years after release, Final Fantasy XII will see the piano arranged treatment, and is said to be coming soon. The album will be overseen by FFXII composer Hitoshi Sakimoto and will contain several tracks." -- Source: Nova Crystallis

Tracklist:

- Opening Movie (Theme of Final Fantasy XII)
- The Dream to be a Sky Pirate
- The Royal City of Rabanastre / Town Ward Upper Stratum
- The Dalmasca Eastersand
- Theme of the Empire
- The Skycity of Bhujerba

How the hell do you make an arrangement of the bombastic theme of the empire on piano?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 09:02:52 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2012, 01:21:54 PM »

Drugs...probably hallucinogenics.

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2012, 10:23:55 AM »

FINAL FANTASY series Biography -- The numbered series

"The first article in our new Series Biography articles. We introduce here the numbered titles in the FINAL FANTASY series."
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2012, 07:03:51 AM »

Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary Ultimate Box:

Contents:

・Mini-replica of Yoshitaka Amano's 25th Anniversary artwork and stand

FINAL FANTASY I~XIII

・FINAL FANTASY (PS1 ver.)
・FINAL FANTASY II (PS1 ver.)
・FINAL FANTASY III (PSP ver.)
・FINAL FANTASY IV (PS1 ver.)
・FINAL FANTASY V (PS1 ver.)
・FINAL FANTASY VI (PS1 ver.)
・FINAL FANTASY VII -International- (PS1 ver., 4 discs)
・FINAL FANTASY VIII (PS1 ver., 4 discs)
・FINAL FANTASY IX (PS1 ver., 4 discs)
・FINAL FANTASY X (PS2 ver.)
・FINAL FANTASY XI Vana'diel Collection 2 (PS2 ver., 1 disc)
・FINAL FANTASY XII (PS2 ver., 1 disc)
・FINAL FANTASY XIII (PS3 ver., 1 disc)

・"Crystal ArtWorks" anniversary visual art collection

・Special anniversary video disc

・2-discs anniversary music selection CD -- http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/ff25th_musicselection/

・Final Fantasy XIV Mogu Mogu Earring item code

Official site: http://store.jp.square-enix.com/special/ff25th

Price and Release date: ¥35,000 ($446 USD), December 18th 2012 -- exclusive to the Square Enix e-Store

---

"New Ultimania guide books are on their way – a set of three to commemorate Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary.

Volume 1 covers Final Fantasy I-VI, Volume 2 covers VII-IX and Volume 3 covers X-XIV. Each book will contain 320 pages and include never before seen artwork. Priced at ¥3,255, all three will be available from December 18th exclusively through the Square Enix e-Shop. Those who buy the entire set will get a special bonus item, which remains unannounced."
-- Source: Nova Crystallis
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 07:33:04 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2012, 11:24:21 AM »

if i could just get that ff3 umd (assuming it's localized) i would be happy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: