Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 12:52:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330166 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary Thread -- Making people crazy since 1987, kupo!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary Thread -- Making people crazy since 1987, kupo!  (Read 30904 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: March 22, 2013, 04:57:28 PM »

But there's no discussion about it, Ashton's right the story was terrible. Doesn't stop what I said being accurate. At least XIII-2 had good gameplay and music, and more not terrible story. Caius was still the best not badguy villian in the series too. Story still sucked....seriously, I think X-2 and XIII-2 were made from the same basic thought process...odd.

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: March 22, 2013, 05:26:03 PM »

All right... *sigh*

Ashton's right the story was terrible.

The way it was narrated was the problem. I've enjoyed the story but I wouldn't exactly say that I like it if that make any sense.

At least XIII-2 had good gameplay and music, and more not terrible story. Caius was still the best not badguy villian in the series too. Story still sucked....

The story in XIII-2 was much better and I never had any problem following it. Then again, I don't have this deep hatred for the XIII series so whatever...

seriously, I think X-2 and XIII-2 were made from the same basic thought process...odd.

Through the development of FFXIII there was always the intention to continue the story and making it a series.

Well as I recall X-2 happened because fans were A) annoyed that X didn't end with a happy ending and B) XI was a MMO so there was no single player FF on the horizon at the time.

The difference between X and Persona 3 is that The Answer elaborated on the ending of P3 by explaining in detail what happened and why instead of leaving it ambiguous. X explained everything within its own self-contained story and then backpedaled when they decided to release X-2 by saying "oh yeah, there's a small loophole we didn't mention in the last game even though it makes no logical sense."

Hm. That sounds troublesome, I might have to play both games again to come with my own conclusion.

But like I've said I have no idea right now if I'll be getting this or not.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: March 22, 2013, 06:19:05 PM »

Through the development of FFXIII there was always the intention to continue the story and making it a series.
Actually, as I recall they wanted to make a franchise out of it with Agito XIII, Versus XIII, and XIII proper. XIII-2 didn't come into the equation until well after XIII's release, and they knew they couldn't get Agito and Versus out in time.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: March 22, 2013, 07:00:13 PM »

^Agito XIII (now known as Type-0) and Versus XIII were never related to XIII directly outside of using the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythos as a base for the storyline of each game.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: March 22, 2013, 07:03:21 PM »

Exactly. XIII was meant to be a self contained story with a shared universe that included Agito XIII and Versus XIII that would make references, but have no direct link, to XIII (and we know how THAT went...).

XIII-2, which was announced in January 2011 (though to their credit started development in April 2010) and released eleven months later, was never part of the original plan.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:07:40 PM by Ashton » Logged

Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: March 22, 2013, 07:03:28 PM »

You know what Final Fantasy X, X-2, XIII, and XIII-2 all have in common?

I like all of them!

Seriously, though, while I agree that X-2's "secret ending" retroactively mitigated the impact of X's ending (and the same goes for XIII and XIII-2), I enjoyed playing all four games. I'm really excited to jump into X and X-2 again.

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: March 22, 2013, 07:21:54 PM »

Is the "secret ending" in X-2 the true ending? Or is every ending in the game treated as that it depends on the player to choose what he/she likes the best?

Exactly. XIII was meant to be a self contained story with a shared universe that included Agito XIII and Versus XIII that would make references, but have no direct link, to XIII (and we know how THAT went...).

XIII-2, which was announced in January 2011 and released eleven months later, was never part of the original plan.

Yeah but those references were just based on the mythos. Type-0 and Versus take places in their own universe as far as I know, not in the one of XIII. That whole thing might have changed over the years but they always have this intention of making Fabula Nova a big series of games that are not necessarily connected to each other.

XIII-2 happened because there was still material for that story to keep going. I still don't know if some of the retcons were intentional or not though...
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: March 22, 2013, 07:38:09 PM »

The secret ending to X-2 is the canon ending.

And yeah, the Fabula Nova whatever series was supposed to be a connected mythos/universe, but XIII-2 was never a planne dpart of that until after XIII was released.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: March 22, 2013, 07:56:06 PM »

What are you guys arguing about?  You keep going "yeah, but" and then agreeing with each other ;)

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: March 22, 2013, 07:57:26 PM »

Long story short, if you put the Final Fantasy logo on it, people will buy it...no matter how stupid it gets.

That being said, I'd play through X-2 again, the gameplay was great.

TASTY!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: March 22, 2013, 07:59:52 PM »

Yeah, the game was enjoyable, I just hated the story.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: March 23, 2013, 01:35:00 AM »

funny i thought the gameplay of X-2 was a horrible step backwards.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: March 23, 2013, 03:24:03 AM »

Long story short, if you put the Final Fantasy logo on it, people will buy it...no matter how stupid it gets.

Eh. You can say that is stupid the amount of time sometimes they take with their games. Versus has been using Valve Time for a while now.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: March 23, 2013, 04:26:40 AM »

funny i thought the gameplay of X-2 was a horrible step backwards.
In what way was X-2 less then infinitely more interesting gameplay wise than X? X had some strategy, but it was controlled, no sort of threat while you considered how to approach a fight. X-2 not only kept you thinking, but also gave you options to prevent (or in most cases delay) enemies attacks and commands. Compared to X, X-2s level of gameplay was like nes to n64.

TASTY!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: March 23, 2013, 05:06:45 AM »

Honestly, I'm still not going to bother unless its confirmed that I won't have to keep shuffling my party around in FFX like a never-ending game of musical chairs.

I mean its nice that they let you do that on the fly, but I don't want to spend an additional 5 minutes on every battle switching between the benched party members so that they can get a share of Exp.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: