Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 04:53:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341041 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary Thread -- Making people crazy since 1987, kupo!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary Thread -- Making people crazy since 1987, kupo!  (Read 36593 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: March 23, 2013, 05:55:23 AM »

funny i thought the gameplay of X-2 was a horrible step backwards.
In what way was X-2 less then infinitely more interesting gameplay wise than X? X had some strategy, but it was controlled, no sort of threat while you considered how to approach a fight. X-2 not only kept you thinking, but also gave you options to prevent (or in most cases delay) enemies attacks and commands. Compared to X, X-2s level of gameplay was like nes to n64.

wtf nice attempt at trolling bro.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: March 23, 2013, 02:34:18 PM »

funny i thought the gameplay of X-2 was a horrible step backwards.
In what way was X-2 less then infinitely more interesting gameplay wise than X? X had some strategy, but it was controlled, no sort of threat while you considered how to approach a fight. X-2 not only kept you thinking, but also gave you options to prevent (or in most cases delay) enemies attacks and commands. Compared to X, X-2s level of gameplay was like nes to n64.

At the risk of being part of the minority of X-2 lovers, I tend to agree with D here..... actually I completely agree with D... x-2 is the only reason I will buy the HD collection actually....

A. The gameplay (as D expressed) and....

B. While I already played through X three times and played enough blitzball to last a lifetime, my experience with x-2 was far more brief and limited.... my girlfriend years ago actually decided she was going to tackle it and sort of took that one off my hands... damn that girl could play... she trounced the title in like a week or two.... i don't think the system ever even got turned off...

On a completely different note.... despite have hundreds of posts here I'm still forum illiterate.... what does "trolling" mean?

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: March 23, 2013, 02:55:32 PM »

what does "trolling" mean?

"Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can." -- Urban Dictionary
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: March 23, 2013, 03:34:56 PM »

what does "trolling" mean?

"Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can." -- Urban Dictionary

wow.... enlightening.... i'm keeping that urban dictionary bookmarked on my iphone! thanks :)

Triscal-Goddess / PSN

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: March 23, 2013, 03:38:58 PM »

I don't know whether to be more surprised that you never heard of trolling, or that you never heard of Urban Dictionary, Klyde.

Though actually, 'trolling' is an old term.  It goes back to the dial-in BBS days before most people even had internet access.

Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: March 23, 2013, 04:04:40 PM »

I don't know whether to be more surprised that you never heard of trolling, or that you never heard of Urban Dictionary, Klyde.

Though actually, 'trolling' is an old term.  It goes back to the dial-in BBS days before most people even had internet access.

i heard it.... and i knew through context clues generally what it meant... but i didn't REALLY know what officially qualified as "trolling" behavior...

and as for the urban dictionary, I only had a hard copy of an urban dictionary a  long ago from the 90's.... i suppose it wasn't that I didn't know it existed, it just was not something I was mindful of..... truly a tool of great utility for someone such as myself who doesn't listen to the radio or hasn't watched television in like 7 years (aside from anime)....

Triscal-Goddess / PSN

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: March 23, 2013, 04:07:34 PM »

I'm trying to figure out how Alisha could think X-2 was a step backwards in gameplay. X was a massive step back in gameplay.

TASTY!
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: March 23, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »

Though actually, 'trolling' is an old term. 

It's also grossly misused all the time by people like Alisha who think that a dissenting opinion qualifies as trolling.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: March 23, 2013, 04:33:59 PM »

Actually, Agent D, X was a big step forward ... For turn based games. X-2 was much better for the atb.

Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: March 23, 2013, 05:25:58 PM »

I tried to turn this around. I really did.

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: March 23, 2013, 09:15:02 PM »

Actually, Agent D, X was a big step forward ... For turn based games. X-2 was much better for the atb.
Touche, but turn based is so ancient anyway. Why would you go back and reinvent the wheel basically, especially as few games at that point (rpg wise) were still turn based. Nowadays, even FFXII's style of play are so much more entertaining and engrossing, turn based is mindless jamming on the X button for fights.

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: March 23, 2013, 09:23:39 PM »

^SMT: Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga are pretty good though.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: March 23, 2013, 09:43:29 PM »

Atlus is really good at tweaking turn-based systems though. I find that the ATB system can be really annoying at times when the speed ratings are really out of whack, and if it isn't completely barebones, a turn-based system can be really good.

Remember, Final Fantasy X's battle system got completely ripped off by that Lord of the Rings RPG, The Third Age. It had to be doing something right.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: March 23, 2013, 10:19:26 PM »

Implying any of those lord of the rings games were any good though....

I mean, don't get me wrong, turn based isn't unplayable or anything, I'll play anything if it interests me. It's just we have so much more knowledge and experience now...why limit what we're doing?

TASTY!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: March 23, 2013, 11:18:21 PM »

Agent D., are you seriously arguing against turn-based games on the basis that they're old?  Fuck man, RPGs are old.  Let's all play third person shooters instead, they're a much more recent innovation!

Turn-based is a style of gameplay.  There are bad turn-based games, but there are also some very good turn-based games.  I happen to love a good turn-based game and would be really sad if they went away...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: