Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 09:51:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327183 Posts in 13393 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary Thread -- Making people crazy since 1987, kupo!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary Thread -- Making people crazy since 1987, kupo!  (Read 28451 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: March 23, 2013, 11:49:47 PM »

90% of the time, traditional ATB bores the hell out of me too unless it can add some distinctive adjunct to make it better (Radiant Historia's turn swapping, FFX's instant non-turn-wasting-character-tap-outs, Trails in the Sky's minor-SRPG element, Baten Kaitos' ????? system)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: March 23, 2013, 11:50:52 PM »

I'm the kinda guy who puts ATB on "Wait". I dislike being rushed.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: March 24, 2013, 12:14:25 AM »

I'm the kinda guy who puts ATB on "Wait". I dislike being rushed.

samesies

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: March 24, 2013, 12:24:49 AM »

I remembered the whole deal of XV possibly being an action RPG with all this talk.

Let's all play third person shooters instead, they're a much more recent innovation!

Are they?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:26:23 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: March 24, 2013, 12:36:14 AM »

90% of the time, traditional ATB bores the hell out of me too unless it can add some distinctive adjunct to make it better (Radiant Historia's turn swapping, FFX's instant non-turn-wasting-character-tap-outs, Trails in the Sky's minor-SRPG element, Baten Kaitos' ????? system)

None of those examples are ATB...

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: March 24, 2013, 12:56:44 AM »

None of those examples are ATB...

I usually lump atb and turn-based together... mah bad.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: March 24, 2013, 01:10:00 AM »

See, arguing this over a forum takes too long, too much to type and most of it gets lost behind other posts. I don't dislike turnbased games, but I'm not going to ask for them instead of games like dragon's dogma, or ni no kuni, or tales of anything. Turnbased is boring, lacks strategy, and makes an otherwise gripping adventure a challenge in how long I can smash my x button before I notice I should heal. And say what you want about the shin megami shit, I've played a few and they operate mostly the same outside of status effects actually working well, meaning I need to heal for those too. Bash XIII all you like, but it required a tad bit more strategical thinking in later fights then hit hit heal repeat. Even tactical rpgs give you positional control so you can target enemies in groups better.

Yes, I enjoy the hell out of games like Chrono Trigger, but fuck balls if I asked them to lleave the battle system alone if they remade it again.

TASTY!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: March 24, 2013, 01:32:09 AM »

...but fuck balls if I asked them to lleave the battle system alone if they remade it again.

i dont know what this  means for CTs battle system.... but im also drunk.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: March 24, 2013, 01:46:26 AM »

...but fuck balls if I asked them to lleave the battle system alone if they remade it again.

i dont know what this  means for CTs battle system.... but im also drunk.
Personally, I'd want to have AT LEAST a real time battle system, maybe like the LMBS from tales, or a more action oriented scheme like dragon's dogma. Hell if I had my way all rpgs would be action systems like dragon's dogma.

TASTY!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: March 24, 2013, 03:22:22 AM »

I dunno, there's something very satisfying about games like, say, Tactics Ogre or FFX because it's kind of like playing chess. It's a very different thrill you get from playing a game like Tales or Kingdom Hearts.

Just for the record, I think FFX and Breath of Fire IV perfected turn-based RPG systems.

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: March 24, 2013, 10:33:59 AM »

See, arguing this over a forum takes too long, too much to type and most of it gets lost behind other posts. I don't dislike turnbased games, but I'm not going to ask for them instead of games like dragon's dogma, or ni no kuni, or tales of anything. Turnbased is boring, lacks strategy, and makes an otherwise gripping adventure a challenge in how long I can smash my x button before I notice I should heal. And say what you want about the shin megami shit, I've played a few and they operate mostly the same outside of status effects actually working well, meaning I need to heal for those too. Bash XIII all you like, but it required a tad bit more strategical thinking in later fights then hit hit heal repeat. Even tactical rpgs give you positional control so you can target enemies in groups better.

Yes, I enjoy the hell out of games like Chrono Trigger, but fuck balls if I asked them to lleave the battle system alone if they remade it again.

Really? I feel the same way about action. Smash my X button until I notice I need to heal, stop and heal, go back to mashing X. I always felt that turn based games offered a bit more strategy vs. more "realism" in an action game. The action pauses, you can consider your next action, and execute it without being rushed. Turn based games often seem to have more relevant spells, etc. than action games, where they do seem to be mashing one button for the majority of the battle (ok, so random encounters you will often use just the X button too, but at least I don't get sore hands/thumbs from the mash-fest).
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: March 24, 2013, 10:40:16 AM »

I dunno, there's something very satisfying about games like, say, Tactics Ogre or FFX because it's kind of like playing chess. It's a very different thrill you get from playing a game like Tales or Kingdom Hearts.

Just for the record, I think FFX and Breath of Fire IV perfected turn-based RPG systems.

I just want to say thank you for mentioning BoFIV.  Everyone mentions FFX's system as being great, but it's very similar to BoFIV's, which came earlier and promoted something a bit more "team-based," with support attacks, TP regeneration, protection, and so forth.  The main difference is when the commands are executed, in FFX it's character-by-character - that is, give one character a command and it's executed immediately after - where it's party-based - give all characters commands before they're executed - in BoFIV.
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: March 24, 2013, 11:16:39 AM »

Really? I feel the same way about action. Smash my X button until I notice I need to heal, stop and heal, go back to mashing X. I always felt that turn based games offered a bit more strategy vs. more "realism" in an action game. The action pauses, you can consider your next action, and execute it without being rushed. Turn based games often seem to have more relevant spells, etc. than action games, where they do seem to be mashing one button for the majority of the battle (ok, so random encounters you will often use just the X button too, but at least I don't get sore hands/thumbs from the mash-fest).

I'm going to step in and say I think it totally depends on the game.  Action RPGs can be done very well (see: Witcher 2, Ys series) but when they aren't done well, it just comes down to whether or not you can mash buttons fast enough and long enough without getting sore fingers.  And that gets incredibly boring.  On the flip side, I love turn-based tactical RPGs like Shining Force 1-3 and Fallout 1 & 2.  The problem is many turn-based games can also be incredibly boring because of all the random encounters that aren't strategically challenging and only exist because the game requires a lot of grinding to beat the bosses; which was arguably done not to make the game more enjoyable, but because it would artificially extend the length so that the publisher could advertise "Over 50 hours of game-play!!!".     Real-time and turn-based battle systems can both be implemented poorly and either way it makes the game start to feel like work more than fun. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:08:34 PM by daved » Logged
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: March 24, 2013, 11:54:33 AM »

I agree. For example, the first two Xenosaga games had good ideas in their battle systems but the first game was so slow and the second game was so clunky that it hurt the game. The third game figured out how to have the critical elements of the first two battle systems and made it fast-paced.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: March 24, 2013, 03:32:32 PM »

FINAL FANTASY X Trailer [BETA - Proto 2000]

FINAL FANTASY X / X-2 HD Remaster Trailer
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:42:55 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: