Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 05:02:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334803 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary Thread -- Making people crazy since 1987, kupo!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary Thread -- Making people crazy since 1987, kupo!  (Read 33583 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: March 25, 2013, 01:41:41 AM »

Actually, Agent D, X was a big step forward ... For turn based games. X-2 was much better for the atb.
Touche, but turn based is so ancient anyway. Why would you go back and reinvent the wheel basically, especially as few games at that point (rpg wise) were still turn based. Nowadays, even FFXII's style of play are so much more entertaining and engrossing, turn based is mindless jamming on the X button for fights.

There are still fans of turn based out there.

FF12's combat got to the point where you weren't even thinking about what you were doing because it was all automated.

At least with FFX you had to think about what you were doing.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #226 on: March 25, 2013, 09:12:46 PM »

Actually, Agent D, X was a big step forward ... For turn based games. X-2 was much better for the atb.
Touche, but turn based is so ancient anyway. Why would you go back and reinvent the wheel basically, especially as few games at that point (rpg wise) were still turn based. Nowadays, even FFXII's style of play are so much more entertaining and engrossing, turn based is mindless jamming on the X button for fights.

There are still fans of turn based out there.

FF12's combat got to the point where you weren't even thinking about what you were doing because it was all automated.

At least with FFX you had to think about what you were doing.

I'm no defender of FFXIII, but I absolutely disagree that you weren't thinking what you were doing. The strategy in XIII was on the macro level-- paradigm setups, changing them appropriately, and reacting quickly to changing battle conditions, rather than on the micro level of choosing your individual commands. Different kind of strategy, but by no means mindless.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: March 25, 2013, 09:35:15 PM »

While their is a strategy in some sense in FFXIII, my main beef with the game is that the exact same strategy works for every single battle.  Which is kind of the same as having no strategy at all.  I actually like what they were trying to do in theory, but they abstracted things so much that there was very little real choice.  There were certain paradigms which were basically essential and others that were completely worthless wastes of space.  Once you figured out the tricks in the system, that was it.  You could win every single fight by going through the same exact steps, it was just a matter of patience.  And boy did it require patience, because the HP numbers on even regular enemies in the end game were ridiculous...

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #228 on: March 25, 2013, 09:38:26 PM »

While their is a strategy in some sense in FFXIII, my main beef with the game is that the exact same strategy works for every single battle.  Which is kind of the same as having no strategy at all.  I actually like what they were trying to do in theory, but they abstracted things so much that there was very little real choice.  There were certain paradigms which were basically essential and others that were completely worthless wastes of space.  Once you figured out the tricks in the system, that was it.  You could win every single fight by going through the same exact steps, it was just a matter of patience.  And boy did it require patience, because the HP numbers on even regular enemies in the end game were ridiculous...

I'll agree with that. I can't speak for FFXIII-2 though, since I've only played a few hours. Couldn't stand the plot... or, more importantly, the characters. But I defnitely think FFX did a great job with its battle system, at least until you got so far into the game that you could smoke almost everything outside of super bosses by DOING NOTHING EVERY TURN.*

*Dodge and counter

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: March 25, 2013, 09:41:55 PM »

While their is a strategy in some sense in FFXIII, my main beef with the game is that the exact same strategy works for every single battle.  Which is kind of the same as having no strategy at all. 

This is untrue.

The issue is that the flexibility doesn't actually present itself until after you've already beaten the final boss, and by then it's too late for many people. The strongest post-game enemies require knowing what you're doing and some trial and error, but I can guarantee that you will not be using the same strategy for them. Like FFXII, the strategy occurs on the macro level and, during some of the battles it's really a thing of beauty to watch when pulled off properly.

Now, XIII-2, unfortunately, doesn't even have this post-game difficulty and I can understand your criticism.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: March 25, 2013, 09:44:04 PM »

Kevadu is completely right, the same strategy works for every standard fight in XIII, the optional fights post game aren't standard, and the same strategy works for most of them anyway.

TASTY!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: March 25, 2013, 09:58:14 PM »

I also want to add that strategy in normal RPGs isn't really as in-depth either when it comes to using your "powerhouse" character to just attack with their strongest, have a mage heal when necessary, another to provide support, etc.

I think it's about the level of strategy we're talking, and if we can agree to disagree, I think they're kind of in different leagues of battle system, not many standard RPGs let you "choose roles" on the fly and allow that kind of flexibility between characters.

Anyways.  If there is any certainty, it's how goddamn contentious "Final Fantasy 13" is when it's brought up.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: March 26, 2013, 03:08:20 AM »

FFX Strategy: Sure. You can do things sub-optimally if you have the Spheres for it and aren't in any real danger.

FFX-2 Strategy: Dark Knight/Berserker, Dark Knight, Alchemist = You can be plastered to the wall and not give any fucks and still beat this game.

FFXII Strategy: Do you know programming?: >Y/>N

FFXIII Strategy: Do what we tell you or you're going nowhere.

FFXIII-2 Strategy: Find a hulk of a monster => Progress until things stop dying in under a minute => Find new hulk monster => Rinse and Repeat.

FFXIII-2 Post Game/DLC Strategy: Grind like a motherfucker with a GameFAQs guide in hand so that you don't screw yourself over completely.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: March 26, 2013, 05:35:57 AM »

Breaking News: Yoichi Wada resigns as Square Enix CEO

"Square Enix released some really bad numbers to investors today. Wada has stepped down to "make way for management reform". Yosuke Matsuda takes up the post of CEO."
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 05:46:47 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: March 26, 2013, 08:03:37 AM »

Breaking News: Yoichi Wada resigns as Square Enix CEO

"Square Enix released some really bad numbers to investors today. Wada has stepped down to "make way for management reform". Yosuke Matsuda takes up the post of CEO."

I'm surprised it took this long for the guy to get the boot. Maybe now we can look forward to something other than the dread of yet another ill conceived Squeenix compilation.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: March 26, 2013, 11:16:39 AM »

I'm no defender of FFXIII, but I absolutely disagree that you weren't thinking what you were doing. The strategy in XIII was on the macro level-- paradigm setups, changing them appropriately, and reacting quickly to changing battle conditions, rather than on the micro level of choosing your individual commands. Different kind of strategy, but by no means mindless.

I was talking about FF12's combat system.

I liked FF13's combat system.

Good riddance to Wada. He's managed to keep Squeenix afloat through foreign acquisitions only.

If they hadn't bought companies like Eidos, I wouldn't have been surprised to see Squeenix mismanaged into the ground.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:19:31 AM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: March 26, 2013, 01:39:20 PM »

Tomb Raider has sold 3.4 million copies, failed to hit expectations -- Source: Eurogamer

Crazy how with all those copies sold Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs and Hitman: Absolution are still considered "a failure" for the company.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 02:55:00 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #237 on: March 26, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »

Yeah, this reminds me of the Amalur fiasco. If your game selling million-plus copies is underperforming, you need to adjust your expectations and maybe budget a little better?

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: March 26, 2013, 06:39:27 PM »

Namco Bandai was pretty bad for this too.  They expected their goddamn "CLash of the Titans" games (y'know, the GAME based on the shitty MOVIE?) to sell over 500k.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: March 26, 2013, 08:37:58 PM »

Tomb Raider has sold 3.4 million copies, failed to hit expectations -- Source: Eurogamer

Crazy how with all those copies sold Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs and Hitman: Absolution are still considered "a failure" for the company.
What idiots. I think 3.4 million is amazing considering all the bad mojo the TR franchise has built up over the years. If someone had asked me, I would have guessed that it would sell just under a million the first week. What the hell were they expecting?

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: