Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 02:25:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340854 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary Thread -- Making people crazy since 1987, kupo!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary Thread -- Making people crazy since 1987, kupo!  (Read 36418 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: April 05, 2013, 04:25:57 PM »

Because we didn't get enough of that damn compilation the first time.

But I guess this also means that we can stop worrying about localizations that don't come within a year or three since they might still come out eventually (you know, like how SD3, Bahamut Lagoon, and the SaGa DS remakes have gotten one, oh wait...).

And maybe when they're done charging $40-$50 bux for a 3DS port of a cellphone game made nearly a decade ago they can get around to bringing out Friends of Mana (to complete yet another piece of shit compilation that produced nothing but crap).

After reading a plot synopsis of Before Crisis, I was kind of thankful we never got that game. Most of the other games in the compilation did their best to keep canon relatively consistent.

BC didn't? I ask because there was a time that I tried to make sense of the story of VII with the compilation, but everything end up being a big ugly mess to me... is like everything that is shown in the compilation are just a bunch of stories connected in a very forced way to expand the universe of the main game.

VII never really needed any kind of continuation or expansion to its universe though.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: April 05, 2013, 05:15:49 PM »

BC didn't? I ask because there was a time that I tried to make sense of the story of VII with the compilation, but everything end up being a big ugly mess to me... is like everything that is shown in the compilation are just a bunch of stories connected in a very forced way to expand the universe of the main game.

VII never really needed any kind of continuation or expansion to its universe though.

AC was entirely pure eye-candy fluff that was totally unnecessary and its story plays out like a fanfic.

Never played Dirge of Cerberus...

Crisis Core was probably the most conceptually sound element of the compilation.  There were definitely a lot of elements there that could have benefited from being more fleshed-out.  The results were mixed, however.  Gameplay-wise it was a solid game, but story-wise I feel like it's about equal parts solid backstory and confusing, unnecessary, shoehorned-in additions.  So whatever...

All in all it's hard to feel like the expanded FF7 universe as a whole was worth it.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: April 06, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »

There are several problems with the story of Before Crisis, but the biggest problem is that it apparently ends with a giant weapon attack on Midgar, similar to the end of Dirge of Cerberus. The problem being is an event of that scale just doesn't fit in as possibly happening before any of the events of FF7.

AC I don't have a problem with because it was enough of a self-contained story that the complete randomness of everything doesn't have any real impact on the FF7 universe.

I also feel completely opposite about Crisis Core. I enjoyed the story well enough, but the game play just didn't do it for me. I mean, random level progression? Really?
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: April 06, 2013, 10:28:53 AM »

^ I heard that roulette for level-ups because "more likely" the longer you go on without a level up and more EXP or whatever else.  I still didn't like it.  ANd yeah, I thought the combat was really odd to get really into (the roulette being a distraction of weird anime-men circling around all the time).  I might give it another go given all the praise.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: April 06, 2013, 10:38:17 AM »

With the exception of the random internet analogue Dirge of Cerberus actually fit pretty well into the universe. The characters were a little to whiny, but OMEGA Weapon made sense in the context of the overall story.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: April 06, 2013, 01:11:49 PM »

With the exception of the random internet analogue Dirge of Cerberus actually fit pretty well into the universe. The characters were a little to whiny, but OMEGA Weapon made sense in the context of the overall story.

Maybe, but I still can't stand that awful Vincent Valentine fanfic. Especially the part where he gets the 'girl' at the end.

Also DoC is the epitome of Noruma's awful character designs.

And even if the over the shoulder/third person shooter gameplay were any good back when it came out, it probably hasn't aged all that well in the face of all those Resident Evil games. Hell, if I recall correctly, DoC's gameplay is about the same level of quality as Bullet Witch's gameplay. (Besides, did it REALLY need those sneaking missions?)

But my beef with Before Crisis is that its conceptually identical to Friends of Mana (which is currently equal in the hasn't left Japan and the world hasn't missed much traits). And Friends of Mana was also part of an even worse Squeenix compilation that killed off the Mana series wholesale (Circle of Mana was the equivalent of Squeenix digging up the Mana series' cold, dead, rotten remains to tie up onto a pike to parade around for a while).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: April 06, 2013, 03:15:26 PM »

The really annoying thing about the Mana compilation is that the World of Mana actually can maintain a lot more stories and each of the games under that title that got released had really interesting concepts and Heroes of Mana actually had a really interesting story. The gameplay just had huge problems for each one.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: April 07, 2013, 12:10:48 AM »

nvm.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:44:33 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: April 10, 2013, 11:18:19 AM »

So according to this rumour:

http://www.vgleaks.com/possible-dlc-for-ps3-final-fantasy-xx-2-remakes/

The International content for FFX and X-2 will only be available as DLC at $5 a pop.

I certainly hope this isn't true.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: April 10, 2013, 11:52:13 AM »

It might happen, but I don't think it's likely. X-2 at least has enough tweaks to it that doing that would be really silly. Now, Last Mission, I can see that happening.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: April 10, 2013, 12:01:04 PM »

Even if that does happen, that takes the price for two games (four if they do cross-buy) to $53. I'd pay that.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: April 14, 2013, 10:58:03 PM »

Question:

Is FF6 available on the 3DS shop or whatever?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 14, 2013, 11:37:31 PM »

Question:

There's no SNES or GBA games to buy there, so no.

And they didn't put FF1 up either yet.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: April 14, 2013, 11:52:10 PM »

Question:

Interested-Yoda or Yoda-Trying-to-Impress-Someone?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: April 15, 2013, 12:12:20 AM »

Question:

Interested-Yoda or Yoda-Trying-to-Impress-Someone?

Just you
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: