Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 06:45:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319792 Posts in 13049 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2  (Read 8353 times)
jello44

We have visitors!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2012, 02:23:28 PM »

ZeronHitaro:

Would you like spoilers?

Code:
This enemy, quite literally licks these child characters during a cutscene, presented in a sexual way, and it's presented all as a big joke.  It's sexual abuse of a character denoted as a minor and it is [b]NOT[/b] tasteful in the least.  It's less about the fact that the evil character is doing an evil act, but that it's not treated as abhorrent by the other characters.  They just move on and treat it like it's okay.

Oh, that's just wonderful.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2012, 02:36:35 PM »

Okay that's just nasty.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2012, 02:47:14 PM »

*sigh* I hate arguing on this side of the fence because it makes me seem to be 'for' such content by association. XP

But...it must be asked; really, how is this any worse than Persona 4? Rise Kujikawa and her shadow are both under 18. And I'd qualify that sequence and battle pretty much on the same level of visual scale as what's been described here. I didn't see anyone howling over that scene.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2012, 02:50:13 PM »

*sigh* I hate arguing on this side of the fence because it makes me seem to be 'for' such content by association. XP

But...it must be asked; really, how is this any worse than Persona 4? Rise Kujikawa and her shadow are both under 18. And I'd qualify that sequence and battle pretty much on the same level of visual scale as what's been described here. I didn't see anyone howling over that scene.

Representation was different.  For one, no one was licking anyone, but her shadow was a pole dancer... it danced in LSD colours in order to represent "the dark side" of being seen as a dirty celebrity skank.  No minor licking there.

I realize a lot of legal ages is 18 or whatever... but fuck, if you can drive at 16, they should know what they're doin'...

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2012, 02:50:48 PM »

To be completely fair, that's the most extreme example I ran into in the game, but there's more than its fair share of bad sex jokes in this game.  Mostly, the dialogue is just not very good and the plot could have been a significantly better satire on the games industry.  Instead, it's just a bunch of shallow "Look!  This is a thing that's in a video game!" references piled on top of repetitive questing and dungeon crawling.  As I said in the review, it's unfortunate, because the battle system under all of it actually has a significant amount of promise.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2012, 02:53:12 PM »

For one, no one was licking anyone, but her shadow was a pole dancer...

So...dry humping a pole while crying out with sexual moans is somehow lesser on the scale of titillation (if that's even the word) than being licked? Color me seven shades of confused. I confess to being completely ignorant of this particular facet of society but even I can't really see how a lick is worse than that.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2012, 02:56:22 PM »

Zeron: while you're certainly right that there's the potential consideration of sexualization of teenagers in P4, the characters in question in mk2 aren't teenagers.  They're portrayed as grade-school children.

http://hyperdimensionneptunia.wikia.com/wiki/Ram_and_Rom

I can't say that I honestly care much about the sexual jokes for the characters that are identified as older - I think that the fair share of them are dumb at best, but they're not offensive like the above.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:59:10 PM by KeeperX » Logged

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2012, 03:01:41 PM »

Guess it has to do with my personal weirdness since I really don't differentiate intensity of the infraction based the age of the subjects. To me a 'wrong is a wrong'. So whether their 17.9 or 1.9 doesn't make it any worse or 'better' (not that such a thing could really be alleviated; especially if presented in a comical tone). I can see specifically why it bothers other people though. XD Thanks for the intel/putting up with my inquisitions.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:25:26 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2012, 03:58:43 PM »

Sex.  Where age is just a number.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2012, 04:13:44 PM »

Doesn't Japan has problems getting men making babies in the last few years? You know, Herbivore men and all that.

Edit: A dude in 1UP has something to say about Neptunia mk2 (and Devil Survivor 2).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:35:13 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2012, 05:25:03 PM »

Doesn't Japan has problems getting men making babies in the last few years? You know, Herbivore men and all that.

Police Hunt Man for Smiling at Schoolgirl

Police have issued a warning to the public after a man smiled at a schoolgirl. Osaka police posted the following advisory of a suspicious person: There was a case on 08:15, December 9th, where a little girl in Takatsuki City was walking to school when she walked past a man she did not know, who smiled slightly at her. He is thought to be in thirties, and was wearing a black fleece, grey trousers...

Yeah... no idea why Japanese men are turning into herbivores that keep looking at the floor and keep their hands in the air when on public transportation.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2012, 05:30:20 PM »

*edits together what he said into a single sentence*
"I couldn't play for more than 10 minutes because the game contained scantily clad pre-teens and I would be embarrassed to be seen with it."

...umm, shoving aside the aforementioned element in this game. Has this dude never seen a single piece of Japanese product in his life? He's like...30 years too late to be pointing out that this tends to happen in Japanese entertainment media. XD
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2012, 07:18:09 PM »

Police Hunt Man for Smiling at Schoolgirl

Police have issued a warning to the public after a man smiled at a schoolgirl. Osaka police posted the following advisory of a suspicious person: There was a case on 08:15, December 9th, where a little girl in Takatsuki City was walking to school when she walked past a man she did not know, who smiled slightly at her. He is thought to be in thirties, and was wearing a black fleece, grey trousers...

Yeah... no idea why Japanese men are turning into herbivores that keep looking at the floor and keep their hands in the air when on public transportation.

You got a source for that quote?  I don't doubt it, but I would be interested in reading more.  I wonder how common that sort of thing is...despite some of the crazy stuff in Japanese media the rates of actual crimes are quite low.

*edits together what he said into a single sentence*
"I couldn't play for more than 10 minutes because the game contained scantily clad pre-teens and I would be embarrassed to be seen with it."

...umm, shoving aside the aforementioned element in this game. Has this dude never seen a single piece of Japanese product in his life? He's like...30 years too late to be pointing out that this tends to happen in Japanese entertainment media. XD

I don't quite get your attitude here.  You make it sound like this sort of thing should just be expected for anything that comes out of Japan, which is both stupid and untrue.  No doubt this isn't the first game to feature this kind of thing, but there are numerous (and far more successful, I might add) titles out that don't.  I don't even buy your 'tends to happen' statement...it does happen, but it's not like it's even in the majority.  You're talking about a subculture as if it were the norm.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 07:26:59 PM by Kevadu » Logged

Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2012, 08:22:32 PM »

I just Googled something randomly from Sankaku. They have tons of articles like those.
Here, found more with some more Googling.

Police Hunt Man Spoken To By Child
Police Hunt “Otaku-Like” Man for Asking Directions
Police Hunt “Bald Man” for Asking Schoolgirls Directions
Police Hunt Man for Asking Schoolgirl Way to McDonald’s
Police Hunt Man for Calling Schoolgirl “Cute”
Police Hunt Man For Walking in Street
Police Hunt Man For Telling Girl “Your Pantsu Are Showing”

How representative that is of Japan, I can't say. After all, it's shocking Sankaku "journalism".
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2012, 08:39:39 PM »

I don't quite get your attitude here.  You make it sound like this sort of thing should just be expected for anything that comes out of Japan, which is both stupid and untrue.  No doubt this isn't the first game to feature this kind of thing, but there are numerous (and far more successful, I might add) titles out that don't.  I don't even buy your 'tends to happen' statement...it does happen, but it's not like it's even in the majority.  You're talking about a subculture as if it were the norm.

Considering how many times I've picked something up at random, from across practically every genre and medium, over the past 8 years and pretty much found content of that nature contained within it; I'm rather inclined to believe it is quite common until the industries start putting out products that prove me wrong.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: