Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 11:38:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329487 Posts in 13499 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2  (Read 10242 times)
Bill

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2012, 08:58:53 PM »

Pre-teen sexualization isn't mainstream at all. I'd agree that sexualization is fairly common for older teens (16+), but the moe aesthetic, lolicon subculture, and "junior idols" serve a small niche. At times, it's controversial even within the country (provoking fights between manga authors on a couple occasions), even if most people turn a blind eye to it.

It just happens that the subculture spans a wide range of media (comics, games, anime, etc.), and this stuff is quite commonly imported by western distributors.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2012, 09:18:03 PM »

I don't quite get your attitude here.  You make it sound like this sort of thing should just be expected for anything that comes out of Japan, which is both stupid and untrue.  No doubt this isn't the first game to feature this kind of thing, but there are numerous (and far more successful, I might add) titles out that don't.  I don't even buy your 'tends to happen' statement...it does happen, but it's not like it's even in the majority.  You're talking about a subculture as if it were the norm.

Considering how many times I've picked something up at random, from across practically every genre and medium, over the past 8 years and pretty much found content of that nature contained within it; I'm rather inclined to believe it is quite common until the industries start putting out products that prove me wrong.

I don't believe you're picking stuff up at random at all.  In this very thread you've been completely dismissive when people have suggested other games that might be more worth your money.  And that's not an isolated incident.  Now of course everyone has their biases and interests, but in your case they seem to heavily overlap with the subculture of Japan that embraces this sort of stuff.  That doesn't make it the norm.  There are already tons of products that 'prove you wrong'.  You're just suffering from selection bias.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2012, 10:20:05 PM »

I don't quite get your attitude here.  You make it sound like this sort of thing should just be expected for anything that comes out of Japan, which is both stupid and untrue.  No doubt this isn't the first game to feature this kind of thing, but there are numerous (and far more successful, I might add) titles out that don't.  I don't even buy your 'tends to happen' statement...it does happen, but it's not like it's even in the majority.  You're talking about a subculture as if it were the norm.

Considering how many times I've picked something up at random, from across practically every genre and medium, over the past 8 years and pretty much found content of that nature contained within it; I'm rather inclined to believe it is quite common until the industries start putting out products that prove me wrong.

I don't believe you're picking stuff up at random at all.  In this very thread you've been completely dismissive when people have suggested other games that might be more worth your money.  And that's not an isolated incident.  Now of course everyone has their biases and interests, but in your case they seem to heavily overlap with the subculture of Japan that embraces this sort of stuff.  That doesn't make it the norm.  There are already tons of products that 'prove you wrong'.  You're just suffering from selection bias.

Last I checked no one has suggested me anything. *goes back and reads the entire thread* Oooh, you mean way way way back at thread start. ToG F and Atelier Meruru already fall into those subculture categories (Edit: In reference to my clarification below); but as I said before, both I already plan on picking up.

The others are so far outside of my taste you're basically offering me a tuna because I happen to be bemoaning my banana has a spot on it when the rest of said fruit is quite edible and I'm not the biggest fan of fish. XD

Edit: Although I have a hunch you and I might be arguing blue against green here. The statement you quoted prior wasn't a comment of 'younger characters in sexualized scenarios are common in the Japanese entertainment medium'. It was 'scantily clad females of all ages, including 18-below, are nothing new in the Japanese entertainment medium'. Which is true. They've been common enough that anyone who has had any exposure to the mediums across the past 30 years should not have the "OMG, MORAL PANIC" reaction the 1-UP bozo had. :-P
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:47:28 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2012, 01:54:54 PM »

wow...... I miss this thread for day and its like I have a full chapter to read to catch up.... and after reading I'm not gonna even touch upon the myriad of different things I would like to respond to... I'm just gonna simply say I really find it ridiculous that in America, we not only find it acceptable to exploit and explore such inhumane cruelty, but we actually find it comical.... yet we cannot comprehend that the scope of what another society sees as acceptable could vary from our own... In other words, in a country of gamers obsessed with shooting, killing and blowing everything up, you wouldn't think some sexual inuendo (no matter how much it is or is not in poor taste) would ruffle so many feathers... Anyhoo.... thats neither here nor there...

I picked up this title yesterday and put a little time in and gotta say, I really dig it so far! I was gonna go a little in depth but the review already up is quite well-versed, albeit a wee bit more focused on what this game does wrong..... All I really want to say now is that, if you like this over-the-top anime esque' stuff and can overlook way too much fanservice, I find this to be not only a vast improvement over the first but a great title in and of itself... I do however think playing the first lends to the experience of playing the second which was something I was unaware of (somewhere along the line I aquired the impression this was gonna to be a bit more "standalone" and not quite as direct a sequel as it proved to be).... And I will also say in regard to the criticism, while the graphics are dated, they are still lovely, bright, lush and colorful enough to demand an eye exam after a strong multi-hour session.

Well thats enough said.... My ultimate impression of this game and topic can be summed up simply.... You know what these games involve... You know what they contain.... you know whether you can overlook things in light of what you appreciate about them or not.... for example, there are plenty of great shooters and likewise RPG's I will never really enjoy because I hate fire-arms and certain types of sci-fi that remind me of western-star-trek-stuff.... But if in fact you do have affinity for titles such as this, this one in particular is totally worth the time...

And with that, even though I started it, I am not touching this thread again with a ten foot pole-LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2012, 01:35:51 PM »

"junior idols"

...I don't recommend looking this up, by the way. I may not be able to get to sleep tonight - I'm afraid Chris Hansen may be right outside my door. D=

And plenty of feathers have been ruffled over America's murder obsession for quite some time now.

As for the subject at hand, I want it because it's pretty and the gameplay looks fun. I'm not sensitive enough to take offense to the subsect matter, and the story and humor seem like something I could easily laugh at.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2012, 03:00:09 PM »

Its hard for some people to believe but the first game pretty much blew out all sales expectations.

I mean we all know what the game is like. But it sold 300k in the US, 200k in japan and was pretty successful for compile heart. I think that is why nisa snatched it up so fast.

That being said I wish compile heart would take a page from idea factory and spend more time on quality assurance overall.

The agarest trilogy is basically my favorite "trilogy" this gen" they did a great job
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2012, 05:04:44 PM »

Ok so I lied... I did come back to the thread...

Why?.... Freakin' difficulty spikes in this game! I expected a relatively breezy time walking through quests and whatnot til the next happy bright and bubbly dialogue sequence and for the most part that is the case.... then bam!! I encounter a boss (or even an occasional enemy) that demands a wee' bit o grinding.... I still like the game a great deal, but I'm finding it a little unbalanced in this regard.... That is post prep for these seldom but troublesome encounters, I find myself a bit overpowered for a great deal of the rest of the enemies and battles..... Somewhat minor of a complaint I know, but none-the-less a point worth noting....

That and I also feel I sort of enjoyed the story (well, what story there was.....) in the first a bit more. Or more accurately the comic relief.... This title still wins hands down though, as environments and gameplay are still leagues beyond its predecessor.

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2012, 07:34:30 PM »

So NISA sent out the Limited Editions of Neptunia 2 but I have yet to receive it.

I don't much care for the series,I just want the LE loot for my collection.

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2012, 02:02:19 PM »

Hey, for anyone playing and looking to customize Nepgear's HDD outfit the NIS forum has a nice list going.....

http://nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6154

I love a magic-girl transformation that leaves me off to kick ass while dressed like an Eva pilot! Can't beat it!!

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2012, 07:26:57 PM »

So is it any good?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2012, 08:46:47 PM »

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »

The general consensus I've heard is that it's marginally better than the first. So if the first was a C+ this is roughly a B-. Can't really speak personally or compare it to anything else as I still need to clear out Rorona, Totori (a True End run), Fallout NV (Divide DLC), and Skyrim before I dare add anything else to my stack. But by the time it thins out Graces F will be out so I might not be touching this one til like summer. >.<
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2012, 09:23:22 PM »

This sounds more like D- to D, but maybe I'm just cynical (and what I read of the first screamed of "this is why people say turn based RPGs are boring" just from a gameplay standpoint).

I don't think you're speaking on the same wavelength as, well, anyone here to be frank.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:26:22 PM by Eusis » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2012, 02:27:57 AM »

From the description, the game doesn't really sound like something I'd enjoy anyway, but I was just curious as to whether anyone was actually enjoying it.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2012, 04:05:26 AM »

@eusis

speaking the same wavelength as zeron.

He was actually slightly more forgiving
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: