Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 09:28:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338613 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2  (Read 12074 times)
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2012, 05:04:17 PM »

I think the stink was it was made April 2nd though.
This was the worst April Fools ever this year.

Anyways, someone should tell Compile Hearts to stop making games.

Slight update.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2013, 11:56:36 PM »

I just stumbled upon Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2 on Play-Asia for a great price this week. For those who have played, is this game worth it ?

I'm thinking of giving it a go but since I still have quite a number of J RPGs to play through and even some I might wanna replay (Okami HD) I'm really on the fence here.

How is the story like? Does it even have one or is it more like Disgaea, where even if it has a story it feels like it's a bunch of jokes thrown in? Also, if the story is not worth it, does the gameplay make up for it ?

Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2013, 02:28:35 PM »

I just stumbled upon Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2 on Play-Asia for a great price this week. For those who have played, is this game worth it ?

I'm thinking of giving it a go but since I still have quite a number of J RPGs to play through and even some I might wanna replay (Okami HD) I'm really on the fence here.

How is the story like? Does it even have one or is it more like Disgaea, where even if it has a story it feels like it's a bunch of jokes thrown in? Also, if the story is not worth it, does the gameplay make up for it ?

I personally loved it... but it is a compile hearts title, albeit one of the better ones... you know what to expect... to briefly go over things a few things...

-Vast improvement over the first in terms of gameplay. Battles are fast and somewhat addicting :) Think, faster paced mugen souls without any MOE kills (if you are familiar)... if you are not familiar with Mugen souls then I can only really describe it as being somewhat similar to the original Xenogears with real time movement around a 3-dimensional plane (you move in real time, then link togeather attacks linked to buttons of your choosing to form combos...)

-Dungeons are short and sweet but horribly recycled and plain.... it never bothered me much because as I said, battles were what I was there for and it wasn't as though my stay was very long....

-You can fully customize the appearance of the "magical girl" type transformation for the protagonist.... if you are in to that sort of thing :) If you want a custom look without spending hours in the editor a quick google search will have you transforming into a Rei Ayaname-plug-suit-wearing-super-heroine in no time!

-The story is a joke riddled straight shot from the door. Nothing to really think too hard about..... no real plot twists.... a great deal of the humor is also based on other titles (for instance the Y's series is referenced like 101 times)..... this is double edged sword for me.... its great that the story isn't something I need to focus on... it made it so I can put the game down and pick it up in between more serious sessions of other games without ever really needing to "shift gears"...... now if I were looking for something epic,  I would be sorely dissapointed here..... this is not a grand emotional journey... this is niche-over-the-top-anime-cheese..... if you are looking to be amused rather than immersed you will be happy... otherwise forget it...

-Visually speaking, this is bright anime fluff. You either like that or you dont..... a subjective matter for certain...

-Soundtrack was not terrible.... but not exactly anything to write home about either... Mugen souls and agarest 2 had waaaaaaaay better soundtracks by far....

-Item creation/crafting exists in this game as well.... it is however a complete afterthought and waste of time... LoL.... seriously one of the worst inclusions of a craft system I have ever seen implemented.... by the time you have the resources to craft anything

To summarize, MK2 is a simplistic game in which the gameplay and visuals are the main "draws"..... the story is as appealing as the humor because that is what it is comprised of (jokes)... everything else is a complete afterthought or let-down.... LoL

All in all, I would said if it is cheap it would make a nice aside to pick up here and there whilst playing through Okami or some other non-rpgs.... that is how I digested it and I liked it A LOT!

But with hyperdimension V on the horizon, I would honestly suggest just skipping out on MK2..... the hyperdimension games are not content heavy so even if they build upon one another in some narrative-respects you really won't be missing out on much.... and based on how improved it appears the balance and gameplay is going to be for V I would say just wait....

In the realm of Compile Hearts and niche titles last year though the BIG WINNER was really Agarest 2... hands down the best I've seen from them period.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2013, 10:56:55 PM »

I see... Thanks a lot for the description. There are a lot of things I think I might like but also some that I don't.

I, for better or worse, can enjoy these anime moe nonsensical jokes pretty well but I think I'll take your advice and wait for the next. Just to wrap it up, would you (so far) put these games in the same veins of the last 3 Atelier games (Rorona, Totori and Meruru) in which each one vastly improves on the predecessor ?

I'll keep looking for info for MK2 until the end of the week.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2013, 01:45:32 PM »

1 is a pretty abysmal game.  mk2 significantly improves its combat system, but I wasn't impressed by the rest of it.  Neptunia V is pretty similar to mk2 at this point, but I am not particularly far in it.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2013, 02:55:48 PM »

Just to wrap it up, would you (so far) put these games in the same veins of the last 3 Atelier games (Rorona, Totori and Meruru) in which each one vastly improves on the predecessor ?

I'll keep looking for info for MK2 until the end of the week.

Thats is tough for me  because I have yet to crack open Totori or Meruru after erroneously not listening to the sound advice I was given about skipping Rorona... my romp through arland as Rorona left a BAD taste in my mouth..... I still have both LE's of the following titles sealed on my shelf-LoL

However....

1 is a pretty abysmal game.  mk2 significantly improves its combat system, but I wasn't impressed by the rest of it. 

I completely agree with this.... the battle system in 1 made it un-playable to me..... you can't even heal at your own discretion.... mk2 on the other hand doesn't simply amend things, but incorporates completely different gameplay mechanics in regard to battles. once again (not to echo myself) but the system proved enjoyable enough to keep me playing to the end in spite of the titles other short-comings.

Triscal-Goddess / PSN

DrGonzo

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2013, 07:35:25 PM »

Is it wrong for someone like me to like this game? Because I'm really enjoying the combat, the sub systems, and the characters are really funny and cute. I don't understand how reviewers have to act so purist by condemning the game because it has things in it that they find offensive even though it's just a game and none of the characters exist in real life.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2013, 08:04:48 PM »

Is it wrong for someone like me to like this game? Because I'm really enjoying the combat, the sub systems, and the characters are really funny and cute. I don't understand how reviewers have to act so purist by condemning the game because it has things in it that they find offensive even though it's just a game and none of the characters exist in real life.

Hell, it's not wrong at all that you like mk2. However, when I review a game, I'm going to tell you how I feel about it.  Different strokes for different folks.  Ideally, someone reading a review should look at what's said and interpret how it's going to be for them - I'm not you, so I can't tell you how to feel.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
DrGonzo

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2013, 12:24:29 AM »

Hell, it's not wrong at all that you like mk2. However, when I review a game, I'm going to tell you how I feel about it.  Different strokes for different folks.  Ideally, someone reading a review should look at what's said and interpret how it's going to be for them - I'm not you, so I can't tell you how to feel.
Oh I know, I didn't mean to sound a bit harsh or anything. But sometimes reviewing with an open mind can really open to new horizons, that's how I view things in the way any art medium is produced. But that's just me I guess.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2013, 08:22:58 AM »

I think it could even go further as people play games in different manners.
I, for example, try to immerse myself as much as possible in the game and disregard things I would do differently  as it's just part of the "role" I'm playing, like in a tabletop RPG. So open world games like the Elder Scrolls series are great for this, even though I still love (even more) a more linear story.

For example, I convinced a friend of mine who has been a long time without playing any game to play The Walking Dead. While I choose option according to what I would do, he decides to be a more "tough" guy.
In the end, I think most "professional" reviewers when playing a JRPG like Neptunia played with a mindset that doesn't benefit the game. (Not that there is a certain mindset for a game, but I do believe some might give you more enjoyment of a game).

Also, I bet most of the didn't even want to play the game in the first place, unlike the day they have to play the next Triple A First Person Shooter, Neptunia is their boring day of work.
In the end I don't blame them, playing something they probably don't want to play, from a genre that does not appeal to them and even if they do, it is still a very niché title. Neptunia mk2 here at RPGFan got a 60%. I don't see it as bad, but it shows that even people here that are more open minded to a broad range of RPGs would not enjoy it as much as other niché titles.

Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2013, 02:40:01 PM »

If there is anything wrong with you than it is wrong with me too my friend! I play every single one of these niche titles because I adore the style..... Love NIS for their efforts in bringing these to us... and MK2 aside,  I'll admit some have proved complete and utter major "fails" as far as games are concerned in an objective sense, yet due to my subjective tastes I  enjoyed my time with them more so than I have entertaining some other titles more commonly accepted as "great games"....

As far as reviewing titles such as this goes, I've found RPGfan to be one of the most fair and intelligable communities in that regard....

Triscal-Goddess / PSN

DrGonzo

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2013, 03:55:28 PM »

Also, I bet most of the didn't even want to play the game in the first place, unlike the day they have to play the next Triple A First Person Shooter, Neptunia is their boring day of work.
In the end I don't blame them, playing something they probably don't want to play, from a genre that does not appeal to them and even if they do, it is still a very niché title. Neptunia mk2 here at RPGFan got a 60%. I don't see it as bad, but it shows that even people here that are more open minded to a broad range of RPGs would not enjoy it as much as other niché titles.
That's what sad about most reviewers in gaming magazines. Not putting RPGFan on the bandwagon, it seems like most reviewers like to point out to games like Neptunia Mk2 and say that this is a sign of the JRPG genre dying out into something that they find stupid and not worth they're time. In the long run they will try to convince consumers this statement and it really disgusts me. It's like they're so biased on niche titles regardless if it's bad or good because if it's not like a triple A title they'll think that regardless of whether or not they give it a positive review, the game won't sell because it's not like a Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto type of title. I like that RPGFan is very concise and honest with their reviews, which is why I'm a member on their forums. :)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2013, 04:22:35 PM »

That's what sad about most reviewers in gaming magazines. Not putting RPGFan on the bandwagon, it seems like most reviewers like to point out to games like Neptunia Mk2 and say that this is a sign of the JRPG genre dying out into something that they find stupid and not worth they're time. In the long run they will try to convince consumers this statement and it really disgusts me. It's like they're so biased on niche titles regardless if it's bad or good because if it's not like a triple A title they'll think that regardless of whether or not they give it a positive review, the game won't sell because it's not like a Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto type of title. I like that RPGFan is very concise and honest with their reviews, which is why I'm a member on their forums. :)

Likewise, opinions like *that* tick me off.

It's up to a reviewer to give a game a good or bad grade.  Unless you've been actively avoiding reviews, Fire Emblem and Ni no Kuni both have been getting 90%'s and A's across many reviews.  Neptunia has a ton of faults, and some will like the game's more common anime tropes and silly but light-hearted humor more than others.  It's for a niche audience, and I think NISA knows that.  You can't force people to enjoy a game, especially if the general style is really not their thing, the same as how 'Call of Duty' isn't your jam. 

I don't think it helps that Neptunia has some vaguely sexual content, highschooler "big boob" jokes, and a somewhat nerdy console human (literally). 
BUT to the right audience it can be risquee content with pretty anime girls, some "titillating" humour for a good gag, and fun console-based puns, jokes, and plot elements.

The game DOES have repetitive dungeons, and content is somewhat bare, and conversations aren't always too enlightening or clever.  And sure there are a lot of things to balance it out and make people like it, it still might not be everyone's style.  We're all here because we love RPGs, but not all of us have to like every single one.

While I agree, it's best not to call it stupid, but some of Neptunia's content I certainly wouldn't call "smart" or tasteful (I realize that's not what it's meant to be, but I can't enjoy anything so silly and ridiculous; I'm also clearly not the demographic):

There's nothing wrong with having a title you like that many others don't, god knows I do (ex. Star Ocean 4), but I don't think it's part of a "destroy JRPG agenda" in favor of FPS or other big tittles.  There's a lot of supporters for a good RPG still, but there also just haven't been too many of HD consoles.

Like John said, "Different strokes for different folks.".

I do think a review from someone who *enjoys* this style of game (moe moe anime magic kawaii battlers) and a review from someone who is...Um, well, less inclined to enjoy them would be a great read.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 04:24:17 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2013, 04:27:16 PM »

I do think a review from someone who *enjoys* this style of game (moe moe anime magic kawaii battlers) and a review from someone who is...Um, well, less inclined to enjoy them would be a great read.

And Ni No Kuni's a fine example of that. Absolutely no where near Call of Duty/Grand Theft Auto/Skyrim, but it's getting strong sales and rave reviews... and could be argued as BORING compared to the RPGs we used to see regularly on consoles. People are hard on the kind of content in games like Neptunia, but even being kinder it's the kind of stuff that can just annoy people period and not be entertaining. It's great if you enjoy it, but there's a lot more to taste than whether you like these games or mainstream CoD/GTA stuff.
DrGonzo

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2013, 06:12:45 PM »

Likewise, opinions like *that* tick me off.

It's up to a reviewer to give a game a good or bad grade.  Unless you've been actively avoiding reviews, Fire Emblem and Ni no Kuni both have been getting 90%'s and A's across many reviews.  Neptunia has a ton of faults, and some will like the game's more common anime tropes and silly but light-hearted humor more than others.  It's for a niche audience, and I think NISA knows that.  You can't force people to enjoy a game, especially if the general style is really not their thing, the same as how 'Call of Duty' isn't your jam. 

I don't think it helps that Neptunia has some vaguely sexual content, highschooler "big boob" jokes, and a somewhat nerdy console human (literally). 
BUT to the right audience it can be risquee content with pretty anime girls, some "titillating" humour for a good gag, and fun console-based puns, jokes, and plot elements.

The game DOES have repetitive dungeons, and content is somewhat bare, and conversations aren't always too enlightening or clever.  And sure there are a lot of things to balance it out and make people like it, it still might not be everyone's style.  We're all here because we love RPGs, but not all of us have to like every single one.

While I agree, it's best not to call it stupid, but some of Neptunia's content I certainly wouldn't call "smart" or tasteful (I realize that's not what it's meant to be, but I can't enjoy anything so silly and ridiculous; I'm also clearly not the demographic):

There's nothing wrong with having a title you like that many others don't, god knows I do (ex. Star Ocean 4), but I don't think it's part of a "destroy JRPG agenda" in favor of FPS or other big tittles.  There's a lot of supporters for a good RPG still, but there also just haven't been too many of HD consoles.

Like John said, "Different strokes for different folks.".

I'm not saying the game is great, I agree that it's flawed in designs such as the quest system, and the dungeon design being really sub-par but then again this is Complie Heart and their budget is extremely limited but I hear Victory will be better produced in terms of design, so we'll see how that goes. Don't assume I'm forcing people to like a game I just get a little disheartened because it can be very alienating to some people who are a part of the niche audience, of course I'm sure most them could careless. I'm not saying that the humor is smart, in fact I didn't mean to say stupid as to say the game is the complete opposite.

I don't want to have a debate about this, I'm too worn out.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: