Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 02:08:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329336 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of the Abyss 3DS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Tales of the Abyss 3DS  (Read 4178 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:12:03 PM »

So, I got this last week on release. It seems to be sold out everywhere. Who nabbed a copy? I'm nearing the end of the game now and will throw out a review in short order.

The technical problems from the PS2 version are mostly gone, with some slowdown still left over, but the gameplay is still as good as before.

I also am digging their minimalist choices in making the boxart. Much better than that photoshop abortion on the PS2 boxart. *shudders*
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:25:44 PM by Leyviur » Logged

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:27:01 PM »

Fujishima... Awesome designer, Fucking horrible box art maker. It looks like Mieu and Anise were after thoughts on it. Love the game, i'm so happy loading time is gone... Playing it right now on my break actually

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 05:21:38 PM »

PS2 version was never released here. Then Namco stuffed it up and forgot to send Australia enough copies of the 3DS version. >.> Just bought a copy from the UK online this morning, actually. Looking forward to playing it.

Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 05:34:12 PM »

I started playing it this afternoon. I'm not far but it seems fun! I never played the original and heard it was great so I decided to give it a try, as I don't have anything else to play on my 3DS right now (just finished Revelations...). It seems to be some old-school fun like I've wanted for a while! :)

I have fury!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 06:21:57 PM »

I have it, it was (I believe) my number four game of the last decade. I love TotA. Favorite Tales game by far.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 10:33:52 PM »

my interest in this game is non existant  because from what i hear theres no new content from the ps2 version.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 10:41:58 PM »

my interest in this game is non existant  because from what i hear theres no new content from the ps2 version.

Justified with the lack of loading times in the 3DS version. :D

Long loading times are a real killer for me.  Especially in RPGs that have you tip-toeing between new fields and battle screens almost on a minute-to-minute basis.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 10:54:54 PM »

Justified with the lack of loading times in the 3DS version. :D

Long loading times are a real killer for me.  Especially in RPGs that have you tip-toeing between new fields and battle screens almost on a minute-to-minute basis.
Yeah, if Tales of the Abyss had been designed in a way to minimize loading (or we could officially install to a hard drive like Vesperia) the 3DS version would be purely for portability. 3D's too weak to be enough of a reason unless you want all your games in 3D for some reason, even worse when you factor in the fact by now most people are probably desensitized to the 3D through games like Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 3D Land that make pretty good use of it.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 11:05:56 PM »

It is a reaallly dubious 3D treatement.... I hate how these games have text pop up the way it does.

More than that, I'm more disturbed by the shrunk and stretched UI interface... a damn shame since it is so pretty, I like the sort of scrap-book-look.

I do wish an unwritten rule for ports was putting in "tune-ups" at the very least.

I'm still happy.  This is one of my favorite RPGs.  I'm bias in that sense.... and admitting it.
My only hate with it is the same one I had back in the day: absolutely stoic and wooden event scenes... I mean, I've seen powerpoint move more fluidly and gracefully.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:22:38 PM by Dice » Logged

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 05:29:52 AM »

Got it from a friend, gonna play it after Radiant Historia and Resident Evil, hope its not as bad as the other game I got from him :P

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 02:15:23 PM »

I have no reason to get this, at least at this time. My gf and I just replayed it on the PS2 last year, and this doesn't update anything. And the load times really weren't that severe. Try DQ8 or SuikoV if you want bad load times. They didn't even voice act the damned skits! It would have been the least they could have done!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 03:32:06 PM »

PS2 version was never released here. Then Namco stuffed it up and forgot to send Australia enough copies of the 3DS version. >.> Just bought a copy from the UK online this morning, actually. Looking forward to playing it.

They screwed up in the EU too. I know a store that hasn't been able to get any new copies since the initial batch, they couldn't even fill all their pre-orders. Apparently there's a reprint that arrived in Namco Bandai's warehouses on January 18th, but stores are still waiting for their copies. Meanwhile the game is selling for like €60 used.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 04:41:12 PM »

They screwed up in the EU too. I know a store that hasn't been able to get any new copies since the initial batch, they couldn't even fill all their pre-orders. Apparently there's a reprint that arrived in Namco Bandai's warehouses on January 18th, but stores are still waiting for their copies. Meanwhile the game is selling for like €60 used.

If it weren't for all the good games they made, I'd hate Namco Bandai. :P

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 07:08:09 PM »

[?]The technical problems from the PS2 version are mostly gone[/?]

Might actually play this now.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 08:18:39 PM »

Somebody please tell me the Asch Mystic Arte glitch is gone forever. I hated how the game crashed when I wanted to pull a Mystic Arte off, just for him to go "NO MYSTIC ARTES EVER!!!" and crash my PS2.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: