Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 09:50:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329393 Posts in 13492 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of the Abyss 3DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Tales of the Abyss 3DS  (Read 4180 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 10:26:57 PM »

"NO MYSTIC ARTES EVER!!!"
I see what you did there.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 03:36:56 AM »

If it weren't for all the good games they made, I'd hate Namco Bandai. :P

Sure, they make nice games, but that's not worth much if they won't let people buy them! :P
Mym

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 05:00:25 AM »

And the load times really weren't that severe.

Really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhkewMS2_AY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM9UAzOEHOQ

I'd say that more than half a minute of extra loading on that event scene is pretty significant, myself. And nearly twelve seconds to get out of a battle on the world map? That's not much less time than it takes to actually finish a battle. The only place it has loading horror shows like Suiko 5 beaten is in the battle transition effect. The rest is just as bad.

I mean don't get me wrong, I love TotA and all, but it's a bit of a stretch to argue that the PS2 version wasn't a horrible mess from a technical standpoint.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 01:08:32 PM »

I dunno, but I really don't think mine lagged that much. Both my gf and I are really sensitive to load times, and neither of us complained much. While DQ8 and SuikoV were just HORRIBLE. Battle in/out loading for Abyss was really fast on my machine. Only time there was long loading was area loading, and areas in Abyss are pretty large. Unlike SuikoV, which makes you walk into an area for 3 seconds to pass through to another area. The home base castle was the most horrific load nightmare I've ever been through. DQ8 was fine on battles, but it made you wait up to 10 seconds just to get to the camp screen! Then to alchimise, it made you wait AGAIN!

After those two, Abyss was a complete walk in the park, at least on my system. Maybe there was something wrong with yours?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »

I actually tested it myself. The 3DS version appears to be 1.5 to 2.5 times as fast depending on te situation. I doubt it's thanks to my PS2, because that one has been around since the launch, has had multiple owners, was send to another continent and died twice.

Still, twice as fast is pretty awesome.
Mym

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 02:31:08 PM »

I dunno, but I really don't think mine lagged that much. Both my gf and I are really sensitive to load times, and neither of us complained much. While DQ8 and SuikoV were just HORRIBLE. Battle in/out loading for Abyss was really fast on my machine. Only time there was long loading was area loading, and areas in Abyss are pretty large. Unlike SuikoV, which makes you walk into an area for 3 seconds to pass through to another area. The home base castle was the most horrific load nightmare I've ever been through. DQ8 was fine on battles, but it made you wait up to 10 seconds just to get to the camp screen! Then to alchimise, it made you wait AGAIN!

After those two, Abyss was a complete walk in the park, at least on my system. Maybe there was something wrong with yours?

*shrugs* The videos I posted weren't mine, so unless my PS2, the PS2 of the guy who recorded video number one, and the PS2 of the guy who recorded video number two all happen to be malfunctioning... The Japanese video says it's using SCPH-90000, too, which is a slimline model and thus relatively new, and I've ran the game on multiple PS2s and have always had the same experiences. There are also complaints about the loading times to be found all across the web in both Japanese and English, especially with regards to the world map. You seem to be the exception rather than the rule, so are you sure you're not just remembering it being a little better than it was, or that you didn't get really lucky in the Sony laser lottery?

And battle loading was mercifully fast in dungeons, I agree, but on the world map it was just as bad as Suiko 5 if not worse. Again, something like twelve seconds in the video I linked from battle back to map (which is consistent with my own experiences). There are also lots of cutscenes like the one in that comparison video where the game changes between different scenes, and every time it does it needs to load. Word is that the game was created relatively quickly to tie in with the series's tenth anniversary, and as a time-saving measure they based it off the same engine as the half-assed PS2 port of Symphonia rather than designing a game from the ground up for the PS2. If that's true, then it's hardly surprising that it has the problems it does, since they're all ones that Symphonia PS2 shares (some framerate issues, major slowdown on the world map, nasty loading times).
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 02:39:12 PM »

You seem to be the exception rather than the rule, so are you sure you're not just remembering it being a little better than it was, or that you didn't get really lucky in the Sony laser lottery?

That might explain my experience. Well, not the lottery thing, but the laser being awesome. When I said my PS2 died twice, I should have added that we went in twice and cleaned the whole thing as well as readjusted the laser.

Or maybe not. I mean, an old PS2 is an old PS2 and I doubt bringing it back from the dead gave it super loading powers.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 02:40:24 PM »

The lengthy loads times usually kept me from lengthy exploring...  Daath I remember having a ton of doors you could enter... *groan*.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Mym

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 02:59:16 PM »

That might explain my experience. Well, not the lottery thing, but the laser being awesome. When I said my PS2 died twice, I should have added that we went in twice and cleaned the whole thing as well as readjusted the laser.

Or maybe not. I mean, an old PS2 is an old PS2 and I doubt bringing it back from the dead gave it super loading powers.

I'd like to say I'm kidding, but the lasers in Sony consoles really are a lottery. My friend went through three PS1s between 1997 and 2001 despite treating her consoles really well. Meanwhile our household's little grey box which was mistreated by countless five year old friends of my younger brother lasted the entire generation, and would probably still work if I took it out and hooked it up.

Then she had her revenge in the next generation when I started getting disc read errors on my first PS2 within a year and hers lasted eight. Sony, your consoles are home to some of the best games ever, but please get better quality control. :'D

The lengthy loads times usually kept me from lengthy exploring...  Daath I remember having a ton of doors you could enter... *groan*.

Haha, and then you start tracing out "paths of least resistance" through some of the more complex maps to get to where you needed to get to with the smallest amounts of loading, or avoiding random battles on the world map like the plague and doing all your levelling in dungeons. :D The game certainly encouraged some... er... unique playing habits.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 03:28:58 PM »

Daath at least has those quick jump people who took you back to the entrance.

To be fair, Daath's insane cathedral had NO reason to be explored unless you went for the chests in the right door.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 03:33:55 PM »

I'd like to say I'm kidding, but the lasers in Sony consoles really are a lottery. My friend went through three PS1s between 1997 and 2001 despite treating her consoles really well. Meanwhile our household's little grey box which was mistreated by countless five year old friends of my younger brother lasted the entire generation, and would probably still work if I took it out and hooked it up.

Then she had her revenge in the next generation when I started getting disc read errors on my first PS2 within a year and hers lasted eight. Sony, your consoles are home to some of the best games ever, but please get better quality control. :'D

It's a lottery that lets you cheat. Most of the time DRE's are quite easy to fix. It's been years, but I'm sure I could still list the most common causes and how to fix them. The most complicated one involves turning a screw. So yeah, it's not exactly open heart surgery.
Mym

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 04:49:23 PM »

It's a lottery that lets you cheat. Most of the time DRE's are quite easy to fix. It's been years, but I'm sure I could still list the most common causes and how to fix them. The most complicated one involves turning a screw. So yeah, it's not exactly open heart surgery.

Yeah, I fixed one my later PS2s like that, but the first one just wasn't having it. :( I remember messing with the laser adjustment thingy and managing to get it to go on just long enough to finish the first disc of Star Ocean 3, but then it basically said "no thanks" and refused to load anything else.

Plus easy or no, you have to void your warranty to make that adjustment. A problem that common should really not require you to void your warranty. Either put the effort into making the consoles more reliable, or make them easier to tinker with without breaking that little seal.

I suppose at least they learned their lesson from the incredibly breakage-prone disc spindle of the PS1. I don't think I ever met anyone whose PS1 didn't lose at least one of the ball bearings at some point or another. :'D
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 12:23:51 AM »

PM, I also experienced a good deal of slowdown in my PS2 version. In fact, I compared the loading times for the PS2 version to the 3DS one, and the PS2 lost by 2x or 3x every time. As an example, when Anise jumps on Guy's back early in the game it took the PS2 version around ten to fifteen seconds for Guy to react. In the 3DS version it was five. Maybe you were lucky or something? Reports of the PS2 verison's technical problems far outnumber the opinions that there was nothing wrong with it. Of course, the doesn't mean the 3DS one is perfect. The graphics seem to have taken a hit, which is really puzzling considering the 3DS has specs that far outstrip the PS2.

Also, about redoing the skits: that would've cost too much money. First of all, they'd have to call back all the original actors (or get new ones to revoice EVERYTHING), and pay them to do all the skits, which is problematic since this game is supposed to generate profit for (hopefully) other Tales games. In any case, unless you want to run the undub patch for the PS2 version (and I don't see why you would since the English voices are excellent), the 3DS version is superior in most ways. Plus it's on the go!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:27:58 AM by Leyviur » Logged

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 12:57:06 AM »

I have a fairly old PS2 and the load times in TotA were really bad. To the point where I quit playing it.

- Battle load in and load out on the overworld map was usually in the 7 to 14 second range. Problematic because most fights were also in the 7-14 second range. Meaning that a battle could take longer to load than play.
- Rotating the camera on the overworld was slow to the point where I quit rotating the camera. This made it hard to avoid enemies, exacerbating previous problem.
- Battle loading indoors wasn't quite as bad but it could still get up to 7 seconds.

There were other things I disliked about TotA but spending most of my time looking at a load screen made it hard to look past them.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 01:04:21 AM »

I also don't really remember the loading times in DQVIII being that bad, though it really didn't help that Level 5 did their best to make it as load free as possible... only for SE to decide to add a bunch of frills that brought load times in anyway. At least it wasn't very severe and arguably was worth the cost, but it's part of why I'd have liked ti if they could've put in options for that stuff.

That, and the menus looked kind of garish after the other releases.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: