Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 04:18:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319776 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  BioWare writer - I have a vagooo, your argument is invalid
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: BioWare writer - I have a vagooo, your argument is invalid  (Read 4077 times)
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:02:54 AM »

Here's a good controversial story to start the week:
http://www.destructoid.com/bioware-writer-s-vagina-versus-the-internet-222206.phtml

It sucks for her, but she technically asked for it. That's clearly flame baiting =/

That and It's not the first time she wrote something on the Internet that she just should not have.
I remember a compilation of some of her Bioware forum posts that are just plain terrible (and by terrible I mean it made obsessive yaoi fanfic writing 12-year olds look better than her)

I think companies should just not let their employees on their forum. Let the community people handle that place.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:41:31 AM »

It is the height of entitlement to believe you can say whatever you want, as hurtful as you like, and expect not a word of a retort. Those gamers now acting butthurt because Flynn and Hepler responded to the abuse are as cretinous and pathetic as one can get. The fact that this surrounds BioWare -- a studio known for making more adult games -- makes it all the more sad.  

Whether you like Hepler or not (I've not been a fan of most of BioWare's stories, period), this level of treatment towards a single person is never warranted, and it should make the gaming community utterly ashamed of itself. This is the kind of behavior that justifies the FOX News stereotype of the basement dwelling, antisocial nerd. This is the kind of behavior that makes the Spike VGAs look like the perfect gamer show -- because it's crass, immature, and it sports the emotional depth of a wet paper towel. That's how gamers look when something like this happens.

Yep. Fuck the internet douchebags. Hepler did NOTHING to warrant this hate. There is not a word, or collection of words, in the English language to properly convey the contempt and disdain I am feeling for these entitled subhuman pieces of trash.

As a Gainax higher up once said, "Listening to these fans is like putting your face next to a person's anus and inhaling deeply."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:43:47 AM by Leyviur » Logged

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 11:46:37 AM »

I don't agree with a lot of the stuff she's said (don't get me started on the vagina tweet) and I'm not familiar with her narrative writing unless she's written for Mass Effect, and that isn't mentioned. But to tell her to go die, call her at home and shit. I don't know what's worse: How fucked up that is, or how not surprised I am that people on the internet would react this way.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:52:40 AM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:47:57 AM »

Her most (in)famous writing was Anders in Dragon Age 2, which not a lot of people liked.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 12:01:03 PM »

She has written some terrible stuff, but this:

"I just figure they're jealous that I get to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either."

...is utterly brilliant.  She has peaked her writing career.  There's no topping that line for her.  She hit them all where it counts with one simple line, and 4chan's reaction says it all.  She won.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 12:13:07 PM »

My first reaction to that line admittedly was 'that's brilliant' and then 'wow, she's REALLY asking for it' but point taken. The backlash show how much that hit a hell of a nerve in 4chantards.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 12:18:23 PM »

She's not asking for anything.

Think of it this way: some random jackass posts on our boards about how a certain editor is a shitty writer and should be fired because s/he doesn't review games properly. Said editor makes a smarmy statement, setting off a firestorm. Who is at fault here? Certainly not our editor, especially since half of our number can be really sarcastic at times. Maybe the editor made a small contribution, but these people wait on a hair trigger to blow up over any little thing.

I do not blame Hepler for this debacle in the least, and find it hilarious that she was able to enrage people in such a way. Well, hilarious if not for the fact that these people are tremendous douchebags.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 12:24:16 PM »

I don't mean that she intentionally asked for it or flamebaited like the original post claims. Or that she deserves the reaction she got (she didn't). She had to know the Internet would react though, especially if she hangs around BSN. That place is a hole. Or maybe she's used to that kind of reaction and didn't care. :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 12:29:24 PM »

Jennifer Hepler @BrandesHepler
@AarynFlynn It was some asshole saying I am "the cancer that is poisoning Bioware." It was taken down, with apologies.

Nate Kaschak @copilotdork
@BrandesHepler @AarynFlynn You ARE the cancer that is poisoning Bileware. You and your pig disgusting fetishes.

Aaryn Flynn @AarynFlynn
@copilotdork Whatever, fucking moron

@AarynFlynn I'd like an apology Mr. Flynn. Seriously.

Aaryn Flynn is another Bioware staff member.  This random fucknut harasses Bioware staffers on their Twitter feeds, but expects an apology if anything is thrown back at him.  I don't like Hepler's work, but I'm all about her and any other Bioware staff members defending themselves and lashing right back.  I troll people on this forum, but I'd be a douche tool if I got butthurt when people troll me right back.
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 01:21:04 PM »

There's a giant haze of professional and personal matters is this whole thing.
If all these people didn't publicize themselves for their work (Hepler & Gaider) through the forums, they wouldn't have received this much shit for it since nobody would have really known who to blame.
The Bioware interview with Hepler surely didn't help either.

(edit: Pic removed since apparently fake, still safe to say the below though)

Also, I have nothing against homosexuals... but she is clearly obsessed with homosexuals.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:11:08 PM by Annubis » Logged
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 01:49:09 PM »

Jennifer Hepler @BrandesHepler
@AarynFlynn It was some asshole saying I am "the cancer that is poisoning Bioware." It was taken down, with apologies.

@BrandesHepler @AarynFlynn You ARE the cancer that is poisoning Bileware. You and your pig disgusting fetishes.

Aaryn Flynn @AarynFlynn
@copilotdork Whatever, fucking moron

@AarynFlynn I'd like an apology Mr. Flynn. Seriously.

Man, 'Bileware' and 'fucking moron' just don't have the same punch that 'I have a vagina and a gaming industry job and you don't.' :P

Aaryn Flynn is another Bioware staff member.  This random fucknut harasses Bioware staffers on their Twitter feeds, but expects an apology if anything is thrown back at him.  I don't like Hepler's work, but I'm all about her and any other Bioware staff members defending themselves and lashing right back. I troll people on this forum, but I'd be a douche tool if I got butthurt when people troll me right back.

And I guess that's my point, really - if you dish it out, you better be able to take it. I don't blame them for retaliating either given the abuse I've seen from BioWare fans. I just hope they were prepared for the reaction, is all.

As for that post of hers, yes she's shown to be a yaoi/slash fan from what I hear, but that pic has since been proven fake.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 02:14:31 PM »

I'd like to applaud this woman, but if she wrote the bullshit that was Anders, then I can't.  I just can't, man.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 02:47:01 PM »

"I just figure they're jealous that I get to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either."

...is utterly brilliant.  She has peaked her writing career.  There's no topping that line for her.  She hit them all where it counts with one simple line, and 4chan's reaction says it all.  She won.

That's pretty damn smart.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 02:52:14 PM »

Never really touched a Bioware game outside of the demo of ME2. So what's the deal with this Anders thing?

That's pretty damn smart.

That was honestly the only right way to answer in a situation like this.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 02:54:26 PM »

Anders' character was changed dramatically from Dragon Age Awakening to Dragon Age 2. In Awakening he was a womanizing guy who just wanted to live his life away from the Circle. In Dragon Age 2 he basically became a gay terrorist. The reason for the discrepancy is Hepler.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: