Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 12:39:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340950 Posts in 13935 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  BioWare writer - I have a vagooo, your argument is invalid
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: BioWare writer - I have a vagooo, your argument is invalid  (Read 5738 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 09:16:23 PM »

Anders wasn't gay.  He's Hawke-sexual, like several other party members.  It's lame.

But yeah, the character's personality was completely rewritten.  Also lame.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 10:37:15 PM »

I desire neither vaginas nor a game industry job.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 10:47:28 PM »

Having seen a picture of her... it's not that desirable a vagina either.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 11:09:23 PM »

After reading what the rage was all about on destructoid there one thing she said I was truly taking into consideration: the possibility of skipping the gameplay.

At first it seems ridiculous, why bother with a game if we're skipping the gameplay right ? But don't a lot of people watch playthroughs on youtube or sometimes just the cutscenes ? I know I do.
Take the people that didn't like Final Fantasy XIII, and they dropped the game because they thought it was a boring repetition. Their right to do so, right ? Yes. But if some of those went into youtube to find out how things turn out, then the skipping the gameplay wouldn't be so bad, right ?

I for one didn't enjoy for the most part the gameplay is Mass Effect 1, but I loved the story. If I had the option to skip the Mako section (that annoying vehicle) you can be sure I would!
Not to mention games like Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy where gameplay is so little some wonder how much you actually play but the story is so good (for those who like it, of course) that it doesn't matter how little gameplay there is.

It is not as if it didn't happened recently. The Modern Warfare 2 No Russian level can be skipped if you so desire. I see particularly no reason to as that was in my opinion the most original level in the game but others might think different.
Maybe the developers and publishers are afraid we will storm through the game and then trade it.

Catherine, another recent game, did it right in my opinion. After you beat the game (so we do see the hard work the developers put into the game), made the brilliant choice that for the stages you got a gold medal, if you don't want to, you don't have to play them again, you can just enjoy the story.
Another I just remembered was 999 where you subsequent playthroughs you don't have to solve the puzzles and can just enjoy the story.

I wonder why we don't see more of that?

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 11:26:43 PM »

I wonder why we don't see more of that?

Because gamers fear change.  Hell, people raged over Mass Effect 3's action/story/RPG mode selection.  If you select story mode, the gameplay is made absurdly easy so that you can mow through it to get to the story sequences.  People are actually upset that the option exists at all.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 04:23:52 PM »

May as well follow up on this:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/260/index/9381043/1#9381043

Bioware's statement of support for Jennfer (sic) Hepler
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 05:03:15 PM »

It doesn't  take much to set  4 channers off. Most of them are grade a douchebag's. I am surprised they haven't tried to hack her, or bioware yet, lol.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 07:14:59 PM »

It doesn't  take much to set  4 channers off. Most of them are grade a douchebag's. I am surprised they haven't tried to hack her, or bioware yet, lol.

They're only like Grade C douchebags. I'M a grade A douchebag. I took the douchebagging game up to a whole 'nother level and all these amateurs are flailing about TRYING to get to my level.

Don't insults me by comparing me to those hacks, bro.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 07:28:17 PM »

Because gamers fear change.  Hell, people raged over Mass Effect 3's action/story/RPG mode selection.  If you select story mode, the gameplay is made absurdly easy so that you can mow through it to get to the story sequences.  People are actually upset that the option exists at all.

I still worry a little over the option of skipping choices since that's part of what makes Bioware games unique in the first place, but honestly they could've probably compromised with a simple "Do you want to play Paragon or Renegade?" at the start and lose shockingly little. Skipping the action doesn't matter to me, it instantly kills the problem of playing a game you don't actively enjoy just to see the story.

EDIT: I'll also note those fears are more for going forwards, not ME3 itself. Comments by people who spoiled themselves on the leak affirm there is nothing to fear about choices diminishing in importance here.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:55:16 PM by Eusis » Logged
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 11:05:42 PM »

I really didn't like DA2, and I regret my purchase of the game. Bad writing may have contributed in part to that. That said, nobody deserves to be bullied because somebody else doesn't like their work--it's ridiculous. Additionally, even though I think DA2 was a stinker, I've really liked the majority of Bioware games I've played, and I really don't get all the recent slamming of Bioware. I'm hyped as fuck for ME3 and I really think a lot of people complaining about the 'cancer that's killing bioware' are bitching because they enjoy it first and foremost. :/

The song We Didn't Come Here to Rock by Andrew Jackson Jihad basically sums up my thoughts regarding all this--it's worth a listen.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 11:52:24 PM »

I'm among the minority who liked DA2 and thought it got too much flak. I didn't like Hepler's obsession with homosexuality (although having a token gay guy might have been problematic in other ways), but the dialogue itself seemed fine.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:43:47 AM by Leyviur » Logged

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 05:49:44 AM »

I just don't understand how people can say such offensive and thoughtless things, regardless of their opinions. It just does not compute with my brain. From what I've read of Hepler, I don't like her much either. However, I would never then resort to the sort of disgusting absurdity that is currently happening.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:52:54 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 06:23:25 AM »

I just don't understand how people can say such offensive and thoughtless things

I'm far more surprised that there are people that think this way over people that are saying the things you are pointing out, to be honest. =P
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 06:31:25 AM »

Well, it's true!

I understand when people get worked up over something that's a serious issue or whatever, but not over something as insignificant as this. I mean, yeah she said some stupid stuff, but to then go after her like some people have... I really just don't get it. I've seen this sort of thing before on the internet many times, but my brain and emotional responses simply do not function in a way where that sort of behaviour crosses my mind. Maybe I'm too sheltered. :P
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:33:30 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 12:22:14 PM »

Even after watching or reading so many horrible stuff in the Internet by accdent or curiosity I still get surprised how far can people react to some situations.

I guess I'll always have my innocence by my side, heh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: