Author Topic: New 3DS Fire Emblem Fates

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: New 3DS Fire Emblem Fates
« Reply #375 on: August 29, 2016, 06:53:38 AM »
I just don't really care about the centralized "plot" in most video games, to be honest, it kind of hinders my enjoyment of everything else. So, I don't really hold it against the thing as long as it doesn't really get in the way.

It's all about maybe like the character interactions, gameplay, just kind of the experience, overall.

Edit: So TLDR, Fates is the best FE, and really the best game of the past I don't even know.

Your previous comments about FE10 kinda threw me off there for a second since that game's character interactions basically boiled down to A) villains be scheming, B) something something Dawn Brigade something something Laguz something, and C) Ike striding onto the scene, delivering some kind of cheesy one-liner, and everybody swooning and shouting "Ike-sama!".

The rest of the cast barely said anything at all and half of them could've easily been cut and not have been missed (hell, you can axe all of Part 2 and only lose out on 2-3 good maps and Elinica's storybook ending from FE9 nearly going south on her).

Then again, Fates characters are even more irrelevant than 10's characters were since everybody's still swooning and shouting "Corrin-sama!" regardless as to how much of a dork s/he is, while the only other relevant party members are Azura, your Butler/Maid, whomever is about to randomly eat it, and the Princes. Everybody else is either a servant of one of the Princes(ses), an Awakening refugee, or some random schmuck who have nothing better to do with themselves.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Artimicia

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 29, 2016, 09:42:05 AM »
I just don't really care about the centralized "plot" in most video games, to be honest, it kind of hinders my enjoyment of everything else. So, I don't really hold it against the thing as long as it doesn't really get in the way.

It's all about maybe like the character interactions, gameplay, just kind of the experience, overall.

Edit: So TLDR, Fates is the best FE, and really the best game of the past I don't even know.

Your previous comments about FE10 kinda threw me off there for a second since that game's character interactions basically boiled down to A) villains be scheming, B) something something Dawn Brigade something something Laguz something, and C) Ike striding onto the scene, delivering some kind of cheesy one-liner, and everybody swooning and shouting "Ike-sama!".

The rest of the cast barely said anything at all and half of them could've easily been cut and not have been missed (hell, you can axe all of Part 2 and only lose out on 2-3 good maps and Elinica's storybook ending from FE9 nearly going south on her).

Then again, Fates characters are even more irrelevant than 10's characters were since everybody's still swooning and shouting "Corrin-sama!" regardless as to how much of a dork s/he is, while the only other relevant party members are Azura, your Butler/Maid, whomever is about to randomly eat it, and the Princes. Everybody else is either a servant of one of the Princes(ses), an Awakening refugee, or some random schmuck who have nothing better to do with themselves.

It's good stuff!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 01, 2016, 01:06:01 PM »
In my case... I like the gameplay in the newer installments. The series has come a long way in that regard. I won't hold it against a Fire Emblem game if the story is mediocre and characters get all their development from a few optional scenes. That's basic Fire Emblem. However, the Fates stories were so insultingly bad I do not want to play Conquest ever again (and Birthright and Revelation aren't much higher on my replay list). Older Fire Emblems don't give characters the attention they deserve, Fates treats its characters like shit. They're infected with severe cases of the stupids just to create drama, get the short end of the stick just because some sort of quotum needed to be reached and characterisation is so unstable some characters end up with multiple personalities. The Xander in the stories is not same as the one in the supports, for instance. Not to mention the way the remaining royals act in the endings of Birthright and Conquest...

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 01, 2016, 02:34:25 PM »
In my case... I like the gameplay in the newer installments. The series has come a long way in that regard. I won't hold it against a Fire Emblem game if the story is mediocre and characters get all their development from a few optional scenes. That's basic Fire Emblem. However, the Fates stories were so insultingly bad I do not want to play Conquest ever again (and Birthright and Revelation aren't much higher on my replay list). Older Fire Emblems don't give characters the attention they deserve, Fates treats its characters like shit. They're infected with severe cases of the stupids just to create drama, get the short end of the stick just because some sort of quotum needed to be reached and characterisation is so unstable some characters end up with multiple personalities. The Xander in the stories is not same as the one in the supports, for instance. Not to mention the way the remaining royals act in the endings of Birthright and Conquest...

From what I've heard, its basically a case of trying to do too much with too many people all in the same kitchen. You had the mangaka on Birthright/Conquest's writing, the Senran Kagura guy on Revelations, and IntSys on Supports; and nobody's talking to each other or comparing notes beyond having a rough outline scribbled on the corner of a used napkin. And then the localization just made everything worse by also not being coordinated with the dubbing director and wanting to squeeze some forced meme humor in because Working Designs is still a beloved household name amirite.

Say what you will about Kaga's creepiness, but the guy knew how to work with the format of a typical FE game.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Artimicia

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 02, 2016, 01:45:39 PM »
I pretty much universally enjoy support convos in FE games, even the fanservicey -sama ones.

But yeah as stated the central game elements I kind of just ignore... not saying you guys don't have problems with those (support) as well I just kind of feel that's the #1 source of replay value and the thing that drives me in the game as much as anything.

Finally.... VA.... not against VA, not really count... I don't know... I just am neutral about VA. Notoriously bad VA like Evangelion English dub or something I often just find entertaining anyway.

Anyway, to a certain extent I think FE is like the goofball in the Nintendo lineup, it's entertaining but I don't really pit it against Metroid, Zelda, even Mario, to be honest, it's for the hardcore fans of Nintendo who don't mind a sharp SRPG (I honestly enjoy some of them more than FFT, frankly).

As far as just being a blast of sorta silly and fun I thought Fates was great, ditto for Awakening... honestly I kind of feel like the series until it was released in the US seemed like a boring kind of "Mainline Nintendo clone" but since it was trying to cave out this unique medieval/RPG feel it ended up just seeming dry.

Then Blinding Blade and the Radiances kind of established a clear identity, anyway, IMO, where it's more wholly embraced the fan-service and silly sides to create something pretty.. just... fun.

I'd actually say the gameplay has gone slightly backwards, for example the way upgrades were treated and item values, gold sinks, farming, it was getting a bit silly at certain points, but I don't know if for instance, perma-death was worth the tradeoff for those things in other games.

TLDR: FE was a black sheep that morphed into a pretty fun franchise by accepting it's inherent silliness.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:57:38 PM by Artimicia »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 02, 2016, 01:53:10 PM »
Even the S convos that are super awkward, feel really forced, make no sense or even damage the characters? Like Sakura and Azama? Or Takumi and Orochi?

Artimicia

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 02, 2016, 02:20:18 PM »
Even the S convos that are super awkward, feel really forced, make no sense or even damage the characters? Like Sakura and Azama? Or Takumi and Orochi?

Well the S convos are a weak link, but at the same time if someone just has to have a "marriage" level conversation well then that's about as good as it's going to get, and sometimes they are at least kind of funny, so I'm ok with it.

My bigger problem is the absurd music that plays every time..