Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2014, 05:33:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331288 Posts in 13567 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Etrian Odyssey IV announced for 3DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey IV announced for 3DS  (Read 17764 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 10:13:58 PM »

Actually, Tales of the Abyss 3D has been out in the US for about a week now...yeah, I missed it, too. And it's sold out.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 02:54:27 AM »

*claps*

Yes! I love EO3, and I actually ordered the first two recently, so this is very welcome news.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »

I don't want to feel like the party popper but I do have a genuine question for Etrian Odyssey fans.
What makes this series good in say comparison to other grindy RPGs ?

When EOII, if I'm not mistaken, was released I looked it up and all and thought it might be good but then I found out it has a kick in the nuts difficulty, areas that are more like mazes and correct me if I'm wrong but high encounter rate, right ?

Sure there are a lot a people who enjoy a good classic style RPG, I do so myself, sometimes, but reason such as those were the ones that made me (in a way) not like a game that remembers me of EO, SMT: Strange Journey.

So, I'm all for opinion because if it's good I'd like to at least try it out!

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 01:46:59 PM »

I don't want to feel like the party popper but I do have a genuine question for Etrian Odyssey fans.

Maybe the first two EO were more grindy, but with EOIII you didn't really need to grind. As you progressed thru the floors, your characters would level up enough that you would never really have to grind. The only reason I would grind is if I had rested or retired a character and needed to level him up to the rest of my party.

I think people make the series to be more difficult than it actually is. The real difficulty hits later on in the post game when you try to tackle the more difficult boss battles.

For me, I just love exploring the dungeon, and customizing my party and trying to think of new ways to play the game that I hadn't before. You don't have to play with the max amount of party members, and you can make different builds for your characters making the experience different.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 01:49:11 PM »

Maybe the first two EO were more grindy, but with EOIII you didn't really need to grind. As you progressed thru the floors, your characters would level up enough that you would never really have to grind. The only reason I would grind is if I had rested or retired a character and needed to level him up to the rest of my party. Oh, and especially in EOIII, if you did all the quests on each floor, you would gain a lot of experience points for your party from that. There was other tricks to grinding(if you needed to) that utilized sea boss exploits, too.

I think people make the series to be more difficult than it actually is. The real difficulty hits later on in the post game when you try to tackle the more difficult boss battles.

For me, I just love exploring the dungeon, and customizing my party and trying to think of new ways to play the game that I hadn't before. You don't have to play with the max amount of party members, and you can make different builds for your characters making the experience different.

I don't know why this posted twice and I don't know how to delete posts. Help?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:56:55 PM by Fadedsun » Logged

"Oh, a hunter..."
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 01:53:49 PM »

In addition to what Fadedsun said, I love the soundtracks to this series and the artwork is really pretty too. EO3 pre-order artbook ftw.

It's just a fun series to waste time with when I can't think of anything else to play.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 04:09:11 PM »

When EOII, if I'm not mistaken, was released I looked it up and all and thought it might be good but then I found out it has a kick in the nuts difficulty, areas that are more like mazes and correct me if I'm wrong but high encounter rate, right ?

Sure there are a lot a people who enjoy a good classic style RPG, I do so myself, sometimes, but reason such as those were the ones that made me (in a way) not like a game that remembers me of EO, SMT: Strange Journey.

So, I'm all for opinion because if it's good I'd like to at least try it out!

For me, part of the reason I like it is admittedly out of nostalgia.

It reminds me of being a kid and playing the Bard's Tale on the C64. It's a very deliberate old school throwback and there's not much else out there like it. It's fun to have something like that. Also, the gameplay mechanics and battle system are straight forward and easy to use and it's pretty easy to pick up and learn how to play.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 09:10:43 PM »

I never played those sorts of RPGs as a child but I still love EO.

Ill explain in a sec, queuing for Leauge of Legends.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 12:07:17 AM »

Its also kinda fun how they designed EO3 to have YOU have the option to draw your own map (as opposed to not having one) on the touchscreen.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 01:05:50 AM »

Its also kinda fun how they designed EO3 to have YOU have the option to draw your own map (as opposed to not having one) on the touchscreen.

I've thought of replaying the game again, but not drawing the map just to make it harder. Then I realized that would take FOR-EV-ER and decided not to.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 04:01:24 PM »

The EO series is pure gameplay goodness, without a dumb plot or drama filled characters dragging things down. It's simple, no nonsense. Exploring and mapping floors is also fun. I'm not satisfied until I fall into every hole, haha.
Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 08:12:02 AM »

Great news. I just hope that NOE continues it's good work recently and brings it to the UK. Neither EO2 or 3 made it to Europe but it wasn't a problem due to the DS being region free. It really was a crappy move to make the 3DS region locked...

This and Fire Emblem announced in the same week. It's like Christmas, except better.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 01:19:10 PM »

Official site is open with some great music!

http://sq4.atlusnet.jp/

A short article about it from Andriasang: http://andriasang.com/con03y/etrian_odyssey_site/

"Oh, a hunter..."
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 01:53:27 PM »

"One reason [for the inclusion of casual mode] is to allow the game to be enjoyed by players who may be busy or have not played the series before or those who just want to enjoy the dungeon exploration and map drawing component.

The other reason is that the inclusion of casual mode will allow the staff to increase the difficulty of normal mode without worries."

This is excellent news.
Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 12:00:46 AM »

i see no issue with a casual mode.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: