Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 10:47:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341009 Posts in 13938 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Etrian Odyssey IV announced for 3DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey IV announced for 3DS  (Read 20825 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2013, 06:55:27 PM »

The story's pretty much in line with what you'd expect of an RPG from the 80s I'd say: there can be some solid moments, and likely a shocking twist or two, but it's hardly the focus. You play because you enjoy dungeon crawling, if you don't want that you'd be better off playing a more cinematically driven RPG, or whatever it is that strikes your fancy.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2013, 09:56:02 PM »

From the bunch I played of EO3 I found the lack of story was one point against the game for me. Still, I did manage to have fun with the game but I think it needs too much grinding and it gives very little in the form of reward (which many times can be a story), so as much as I wanted to support this game and give it a go, I'll probably wait more to see people's reactions on it. In the meantime I'm putting my chances on a genre of RPG which I'm much more inclined to like, Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2013, 11:58:39 PM »

From the bunch I played of EO3 I found the lack of story was one point against the game for me. Still, I did manage to have fun with the game but I think it needs too much grinding and it gives very little in the form of reward (which many times can be a story), so as much as I wanted to support this game and give it a go, I'll probably wait more to see people's reactions on it. In the meantime I'm putting my chances on a genre of RPG which I'm much more inclined to like, Fire Emblem: Awakening.

The game is basically EO1-2-3 with polygonal enemies and live instrumentation in its music. Which I think is awesome, but if you're looking for more emphasis on plot, you may have to look elsewhere.

AND ADVENTURE IS ITS OWN REWARD!

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2013, 08:46:35 PM »

Guys, this years RPGFan statistics are in!  I thought I would share them with you guys.

The forum is so awesome that it causes one to forget about the main site.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2013, 08:50:51 PM »

A likely story.

The Runemaster class looks pretty much like the Zodiac and whatever they were called before that. I guess there really isn't many ways you can present a master of the elements.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2013, 08:52:03 PM »

Taelus as a character is always a mage. Looks like this time around, he'll be Taelus the Runemaster.

RUNEMASTAR

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2013, 11:22:03 PM »

The Runemaster class looks pretty much like the Zodiac and whatever they were called before that. I guess there really isn't many ways you can present a master of the elements.

I was never a fan of EO mages on their own. and the calculator http://crazyuncleivans.com/eo4skillsim/EO4Skillsim.html makes them look like the usual, which is to say, like bringing a sprinter to a marathon. It's up to the subjob to save them and on that note a samurai sub looks like it might be interesting with calm to recover tp. And you get a auto res, a dispel and you can keep rage up for foes and bosses. All for 5 points.

I want to make a mage work this time, because I want a sleepy runemaster.

Subbing samurai, originally beastman, must be a pain though. You probably have to make one of them bite you or something.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2013, 11:35:52 PM »

Well, I found that pretty often I'd save my mages MP for tougher monsters and let the rest of my party do the gruntwork. Same method I used in Phantasy Star IV and classic RPGs, too. I love me some magic. Though it DOES suck when they run dry and you're like 'welp.'

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2013, 01:35:17 AM »

Demo's out ahead of time, search for it in the store.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2013, 09:37:41 AM »

Well, I found that pretty often I'd save my mages MP for tougher monsters and let the rest of my party do the gruntwork. Same method I used in Phantasy Star IV and classic RPGs, too. I love me some magic. Though it DOES suck when they run dry and you're like 'welp.'

You shouldn't need to do that in PS4. Rune won't ever run out of juice, to the point that people give him two shields because he'll always be able to cast SOMETHING and doesn't need a normal attack.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2013, 09:47:38 AM »

You shouldn't need to do that in PS4. Rune won't ever run out of juice, to the point that people give him two shields because he'll always be able to cast SOMETHING and doesn't need a normal attack.

I've beaten PSIV like a zillion times. I dual-shield Rune, and usually use my skills for regular fights (other than the big stuff), but I almost always save my MP. Whether I need to or not isn't really what I was getting it, it's that I just like to do that. Plus, I was being diplomatic :). Once you have Raja you can use Ataraxia and restore TP anyway.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »

Back to EO4.. has anyone actually tried the demo yet?

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2013, 04:17:08 PM »

I have. The music is awesome, and it's quite an extensive demo-- I'm very impressed with it. The new graphical overhaul keeps the same style but manages to make it very fresh.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2013, 04:19:23 PM »

Back to EO4.. has anyone actually tried the demo yet?

I did a bit last night, enough to get to the overworld. It's more EO, but the mechanic of flying around the map to visit dungeons is a refreshing twist and not like EOIII's ship thing that was more like a puzzle game to get you EXP/cash on the side. Basically introducing an overworld to the game, but in a way that comes off as more oldschool. I appreciate too that despite introducing 3D graphics they DIDN'T slow combat down at all, that's something that's historically slowed down quite a few games when transitioning from 2D to 3D, though Atlus had been good about keeping MegaTen speedy anyway. I also kind of appreciate how they streamlined the classes, 7 available at the offset this time rather than 10.

Sound quality's kind of crap though, but they said it will be better in the full game, and I'm disappointed at how 3D's not properly used in the dungeons. Seems dungeon graphics are a flat plane with stuff like the HUD being another plane.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2013, 05:34:31 PM »

I love this demo, compared to the Fire Emblem demo I feel like I'm really getting a lot out of it. I agree with Eusis, I prefer the Airship to the Boat any day. In EOIII i never even bothered trying to do it because it was so frustrating.

Not much I can say, I'll definitely be picking this up. The music is just great, filling in my map with that music playing is just so peaceful. The skill system looks better, though I can't really judge it properly till later in the game when skills get all combo-y and synergy-y.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: