Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 04:46:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337966 Posts in 13835 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Etrian Odyssey IV announced for 3DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey IV announced for 3DS  (Read 20054 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2013, 02:31:12 PM »

Yeah, actually our quest spawned two shiny FOEs for me.  Ended up getting my level 22 guys to 24 in two battles.  Quest was nice and I got congratulations from a man named "Greene Shield".  Hm, what looks like a green shield...?

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2013, 02:34:17 PM »

Just unlocked the RPGFan quest.  It says I should be level 24, but my level 22 guys are going to rock this!

Level 22 already?! I'm slacking. What team are you running? My guys are level 11 currently and my team is Fortress/Nightseeker/Medic in the front and Sniper/Runemaster in the back. When I unlock it,I'm retiring my Runemaster into an Arcanist and subclassing with Runemaster.

"Oh, a hunter..."
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2013, 02:42:59 PM »

Just unlocked the RPGFan quest.  It says I should be level 24, but my level 22 guys are going to rock this!

Level 22 already?! I'm slacking. What team are you running? My guys are level 11 currently and my team is Fortress/Nightseeker/Medic in the front and Sniper/Runemaster in the back. When I unlock it,I'm retiring my Runemaster into an Arcanist and subclassing with Runemaster.

I should note that I'm playing on Casual because I don't have the time to grind for two hours then lose all of that progress because I get critical'd, so my progress is going to be quicker than someone playing on normal.

I'm actually running without a healer, with pretty much my Fortress doing nothing but healing himself.

Front: Landsknecht-Nightseeker-Fortress
Back: Sniper/Runemaster

I like all of my guys but my sniper. The binding stuff hasn't been particularly effective or useful thus far.  I'd swap him out for a Medic, but then I'd have to grind him up.

Edit: I'm digging EO4 much more than any other entry in the series I've played.  Casual mode is great, and I don't feel like I'm lost looking for objectives like I do in many other dungeon crawlers.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:45:39 PM by John » Logged

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2013, 02:50:04 PM »

I'm finding my Sniper to be invaluable at the moment with her binding abilities. She's saved me with leg and arm binds in some FOE battles so far. Plus, she's useful for taking out enemies hiding in the back row before they have a chance to make it to the front.

Same here. I'm finding this is the best entry in the series so far. Then again, each subsequent game in the series seems to be better than the last. I'm liking the return to more basic classes. While I liked Etrian Odyssey 3, some of class ideas and skills were a lot to handle and plan out.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2013, 04:33:10 PM »

Boy, I'm so jelaous. My game has been shipped, even a few days before release, but I still have no idea how long it should take to arrive here. So, as I wait I'm still playing tthe demo.

So, you guys with the full game, would you think it is better to grind for some money (in the demo) or there is sometning else I should be doing that would be more productive once my game arrives?

I read some page son gamefaqs about the pookas but I just can't seem to understand how they move, how to throw food at them or anything. All I know is they drop an item that increases your stats.

As for party, my main is Landsknecht/fortress/nightseeker in front and sniper/healer in the back.
It is doing fine in the dungeon but I feel like the nightseeker isn't being all that usefull to me, at least to my playstyle. I'll probably use two Landsknecht or add in a Dancer.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2013, 06:23:56 PM »

I recently finished the game, so watch for my review in the coming week!

In the meantime, enjoy my Guild Card info:

Also, anyone who wants QR scans for the treasure maps can do so here. Enjoy!

Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: March 05, 2013, 09:19:49 PM »

Damn, I'm only in the second area with my infrequent playing. Looking forward to the review, though!

What's everyone's party composition? I'm current running with Land / Fort / Dancer in the front and Night / Medic in the back. The Nightblade is 10 levels behind everyone else, though, but once he's caught up he'll be switching with the Fortress. My plan is basically to take advantage of links and chasers and multiple hits/attacks to do ridiculous damage with the front line while the Fortress draws the ire of enemies and protects everyone as much as possible and the Medic heals. It's been working out fairly well already, even with my very unfinished party.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2013, 09:31:25 PM »

For now I'm using Land/Rune, Fort/Dancer, Night/Bushi, Arcanist/Medic, Sniper/Arcanist

Later on I may turn my Sniper into more of a physical/link beast with Sniper/Dancer, but for now my Sniper is used primarily for Criticals, ignoring enemy defense, Binds, and Chase Binds while my Arcanist helps the Night land status effects and assists the Sniper with Chase Binds.

Unfortunately, I've noticed this game has the same issue as the other EOs.  That is - after the first stratum or two it becomes much easier.  The difficulty just doesn't remain consistent and you get stronger much more quickly than your enemies and the area "tricks" do.  I'm glad they did away with the Royal/Prince/Princess from EO3 though, it was just ridiculously unbalanced.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:33:08 PM by Cyril » Logged
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2013, 12:05:28 PM »

People have been complaining that this game is far easier than the other games in the series. I don't really see it that way; I see it as the game being more balanced and fans being more experienced with the game itself. Does everyone remember how broken Immunize was in EO1? The game was near impossible without it.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2013, 01:02:24 PM »

Eh, I find EO to be a pretty easy for a game/series in this genre in general and I'd consider it a nice entry point because of that.  I'm not sure if I agree with 4 being the easiest overall during the beginning, but later on it might well be simply because every class becomes powerful very quickly.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2013, 01:29:11 PM »

QR codes thus far: http://suraph.hubpages.com/hub/Etrian-Odyssey-IV-Legends-of-the-Titans-QR-Codes-List

Japanese wiki: http://www32.atwiki.jp/sekaiju_mazeiv/

"Oh, a hunter..."
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2013, 01:49:36 PM »

Phew, took down the second Stratum boss today. I'm loving it so far, though the hardest part of these games for me ends up being unable to use all the classes at once. :P I want an Arcanist now that I've unlocked them but I've grown really fond of my

Landshneckt Dancer Nightseeker
Runemaster Medic

team.

EDIT: Also, am I close to getting subclasses yet? That might ease some of my woes. Though it brings up an all different set.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:51:34 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2013, 02:01:47 PM »

Word on the street is that subclasses are unlocked in the
Code:
3rd stratum
. Not sure if that's a spoiler or not. Just in case.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2013, 03:42:54 PM »

That's right.  There's a boss about halfway through it that unlocks them, so you don't have to wait until you finish it.
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2013, 12:22:21 AM »

I'm loving it more than the first three so far. Just beat the blood bear boss. I love the even that happens right after you beat it. It is a bit chilling.

Small question though: how do I drop stuff with the airship? I have that sidequest to drop off food for the soldiers in the Windy Plains, but I'm not sure how. The foodapult? What button do I press?

Also, how do I raise the altitude of the airship? Is that an ability for later?

EDIT: Nevermind, just found the drop option. Derp moment on my end.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:30:17 AM by Nel » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: