Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:35:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334793 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Etrian Odyssey IV announced for 3DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Print
Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey IV announced for 3DS  (Read 19034 times)
Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2013, 03:38:44 AM »

Also, how do I raise the altitude of the airship? Is that an ability for later?
Spoilering it for safety:
Code:
You unlock it pretty shortly after entering the second area.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2013, 03:34:34 PM »

OK, I knew this point was coming, but I've finally reached my "OK, I'm done grinding and there's not really a good story in this game" point.  Almost through the third maze, my party is level 42 and I unlocked subclassing.  The game was quite fun while I still had a stomach for it, though.  Definitely worth the money.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2013, 04:42:58 PM »

Wow, you did grind.  I was 38 by the time I finished the 3rd Stratum.

It's funny because the 4th Stratum is when the story picks up, but, looking back, I liked the game's atmosphere overall best in the second area.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2013, 05:11:20 PM »

I haven't had to grind at all yet. The game gives you so many options to get experience without having to grind(quests, missions, caves, rare breeds, etc.). The additional stat bonuses that food give you helps to alleviate some trouble against FOEs, too.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2013, 05:40:01 PM »

I'm still in Labyrinth 2. Progress is a lot slower than I expected, but I refuse to switch to Casual. I refuse! I look forward to unlocking Arcanist. I'm probably going to replace my Medic because I find them overly specialized. A Dancer and an Arcanist should cover my bases, aside from revival. Guess I'll need to stock up on Nectar.

I also want to rest half of my party and re-allocate my skills, which I should've seen coming. I get so stressed out when it comes time to spend skill points!

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2013, 05:41:23 PM »

I think I said "grinding" and meant a different context - I view most dungeon crawlers as a whole as "grinding" since they're almost entirely combat and exploration.  I didn't mean it in the "oh man I have to fight a bunch of enemies to get past the next thing".  In fact, EOIV has a pretty damn smooth difficulty curve, though things got really easy after I got subclassing - regen w/ active circle for an arcanist made it so I almost never died.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2013, 01:14:52 AM »

I think I said "grinding" and meant a different context - I view most dungeon crawlers as a whole as "grinding" since they're almost entirely combat and exploration.  I didn't mean it in the "oh man I have to fight a bunch of enemies to get past the next thing".  In fact, EOIV has a pretty damn smooth difficulty curve, though things got really easy after I got subclassing - regen w/ active circle for an arcanist made it so I almost never died.

Yeah, at worst EO tends to only have masked grinding unless you're deliberately bringing extra characters up, and even then you can work around that with items (though maybe you only get two or three through the whole game?) or giving your new guys all the EXP from quests. Bailing out of dungeons because you got too much crap or drained of resources is SIMILAR to a grind, but at least I'm constantly pushing my envelope rather than just pacing back and forth for hours.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2013, 10:50:29 PM »

My review is up[/URL}. I demand that you all be swayed by my opinion. I demand tribute!

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2013, 06:01:44 AM »

Good review and I agree.

I think one little small bonus I liked was that walls with shortcuts have "hints" that there's a shortcut there, so you don't need to turn sideways on every panel, since the wall panels have a new design or coloring variations.  This definitely saves time and I wish I had noticed it before the very obvious 4th Stratum. Next someone will tell me that it's been there in the earlier EOs and I never noticed.

Code:
The flowers on the walls of the first and second mazes, water down the walls in the third, so on, that mark the passage.
Once you recognize it, it's easy.

On a similar note, that cave where 80% of the secret passages damaged you was an absolute and utter nightmare.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:09:02 AM by Cyril » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2013, 06:49:57 AM »

Sorry Cyril, they have been in every EO game. Though they were always flowers.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2013, 08:00:02 AM »

Serves me right for never paying attention to the wall design closely, I suppose.   I think it's another of those small things that makes EO more accessible than older dungeon crawlers in that any visual clue is given at all.  I can see it being shocking when someone who starts the genre with EO plays something like Wizardry or even a newer title like The Dark Spire and you have to face everything in just the right way or you won't get any of the little "check" triggers where you can just stand on the block in this series.
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2013, 10:11:11 PM »

Um... I killed all the Big Moths in Moth's Garden before taking on the RPGFan quest. Am I screwed? I mean, they aren't respawning. I think I ruined it for me. D:
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2013, 10:17:16 PM »

They all respawn after a while, the respawn counter just resets at different points for different monsters. Even the bosses respawn.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2013, 02:49:39 PM »

Having trouble with the last boss in the lush woodlands. My whole party is level 18. L, N, M, S, and R.

Never had much luck with these games. I believe I just don't have my skills setup right. I wish the games had more stats in the descriptions, rather than just up and down arrows to indicate strength...
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2013, 03:08:53 PM »

Use http://crazyuncleivans.com/eo4skillsim/EO4Skillsim.html for character building. It doesn't have all the numbers, but it has most of them.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: