Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 03:31:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318919 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Good People Will Die
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Good People Will Die  (Read 4701 times)
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 12:00:42 PM »

This isn't a western v japanese game argument. These models are just nasty and I'm going to have a hard time caring about "people" that look like that

I'll never understand sentiments like that considering it wasn't that hard for your average human being not even 30 years ago to care about 'people' who looked like this. A person is a person regardless of what quality of graphics are used to represent them.

This isn't 30 years ago and this game isn't meant to be a nod to retro stylizations of days gone by. I don't expect everything to be ff13 quality but is it wrong to expect a little more effort out of a handheld that costs more than 250 after you get all the addons?

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »

There's a japanese trailer out and the character models look absolutely terrible. I wish they stuck with static images because they essentially looked like N64 rendered characters.

They're not TERRIBLE, but the static images were definitely better. Loved the animated touches, too.

That said, I love the renaming, and I'm there for the Vita version.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »

I'm still gonna get it, and if the character models don't hinder the thing I will eat my crow on this board, rest assured.

I always admit when wrong.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2012, 03:23:04 PM »

This isn't a western v japanese game argument. These models are just nasty and I'm going to have a hard time caring about "people" that look like that

I'll never understand sentiments like that considering it wasn't that hard for your average human being not even 30 years ago to care about 'people' who looked like this. A person is a person regardless of what quality of graphics are used to represent them.

This isn't 30 years ago and this game isn't meant to be a nod to retro stylizations of days gone by. I don't expect everything to be ff13 quality but is it wrong to expect a little more effort out of a handheld that costs more than 250 after you get all the addons?

There's a difference between 'I expect X graphics quality for my Y dollars' versus 'I can't empathize with a character because the graphics aren't quite right'. I interpreted your statement about 'having a hard time caring' as the second, rather than the first (which I agree with you on).
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2012, 01:22:09 AM »

There's a difference between 'I expect X graphics quality for my Y dollars' versus 'I can't empathize with a character because the graphics aren't quite right'. I interpreted your statement about 'having a hard time caring' as the second, rather than the first (which I agree with you on).

Something that's been bothering me lately ZH is your avatar. What iz it man!?

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2012, 09:32:31 AM »

I think the character models are fine. If the company doesn't have much of a track record doing 3D models, I wouldn't expect them to be great the first time.
Remember how Atelier Rorona looks in comparison to Totori ? Gust, a company that didn't make 3D games they sure got a lot better with just about an year time.

I think it's the same here. This time it's just alright but in next installments they will probably get a lot better.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2012, 10:25:24 AM »

It's the cover to my novel. XD I switched it out from the old one since my publisher wanted me to try a new one to see if it had any effect on sales and all that jazz. It's my way of subtle advertising without spamming up a topic or slapping a banner ad across a signature.
Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2012, 10:35:59 AM »

I was browsing on Amazon when I saw that pre-orders were open for both 3DS and PSP! Apparently the title "Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward" seems official and the announced realease date is October 23th!

I have fury!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2012, 01:27:02 PM »

I'll admit it. I was more than half expecting this to get canned like Grand Knights History.

Edit:

It's the cover to my novel. XD I switched it out from the old one since my publisher wanted me to try a new one to see if it had any effect on sales and all that jazz. It's my way of subtle advertising without spamming up a topic or slapping a banner ad across a signature.

Before I forget again, what's the name of said novel? In case I want to, you know, look it up or read it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:29:21 PM by Aeolus » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2012, 01:32:11 PM »

I was browsing on Amazon when I saw that pre-orders were open for both 3DS and PSP! Apparently the title "Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward" seems official and the announced realease date is October 23th!

It's been the official English name for a few months now. The date is not official.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2012, 01:35:25 PM »

I'll admit it. I was more than half expecting this to get canned like Grand Knights History.

Follow the Aksys team on twitter. They're talking about the localization non-stop, including voice acting.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2012, 01:37:46 PM »

Follow the Aksys team on twitter. They're talking about the localization non-stop, including voice acting.

I need to pay more attention to Aksys. *facepalm*

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »

I'll be blunt here: that's an idiotic expectation given Chunsoft has shown no signs of being in serious trouble, and we RARELY see news of a game getting canned after being announced for localization. That, and this is a release for newer platforms, the 3DS is healthy enough to survive for awhile I think so worst case scenario would've been the Vita version getting canned, but I don't believe the Vita's THAT disastrous of a failure just yet (and at least some niche games are doing well, NIS was pleased with Disgaea 3's performance in Japan.)

Well, and we usually see a long, awkward silence, the time from announcement hasn't been THAT long.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2012, 01:42:55 PM »

AksysGames_Ben is doing most of the localization talk. Plus, after the success of 999 I really doubt they'd can VLR anyway. Grand Knights History was a really, REALLY rare exception of a game being cancelled AFTER a localization was announced.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2012, 02:01:44 PM »

Only other two cases that spring to mind are Dragon Warrior IV on PS1 (similar situation to Grand Knights History, developer couldn't be relied upon and it wasn't worth the trouble of getting someone else to hack it in), and Umihara Kawase for PSP from Natsume, which could either have been SCEA rejection with Natsume announcing prematurely, or because it was a poor remake/port of a PS1 game. Shame the apparently superior DS version that came later was entirely ignored, but I guess the DS was not in a healthy spot for niche games at that time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: