Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 02:54:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330150 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  GameStop: Will not accept Cash for Wii/PS3 preorders (in HI)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: GameStop: Will not accept Cash for Wii/PS3 preorders (in HI)  (Read 6781 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2006, 03:35:35 AM »

News story.

Wow. Fuck EB/GameStop. I'll be seeing if BestBuy, Toys R Us, /anyone else/ will accept preorders without demanding my god damn games.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 04:01:54 AM »

This makes absolutely no sense. By gathering a collection of used games, what is the incentive for them? Is this some practical joke? O_o
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 04:07:17 AM »

They make most of their profit from used game sales, not the sale of new games. It technically makes sense financially. Problem is that it also alienates a lot of people, like myself, who don't want to trade in games all the damn time, and don't want to get wrapped in that bullshit. I also suspect that a lot of people will be pissed simply out of principal. But then, that might be the point, to get pre-orders so low that everyone who does preorder gets them, and that they can claim they have them in stock /without/ preorders being necessary.

I'd gladly throw $50 at them to preorder, just in plain ol' cash and not in games. I'm not even sure I'll get one at launch afterall, I'll just have to wait and see what other stores like BestBuy or Toys R Us do.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 04:14:31 AM »

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware they benefited more, financially, from used game sales. Well, oh well...all the more reason to wait until the launch models come and go, so they can sort out the bugs some of them will bound to have. This just gives me an excuse to wait it out.

However, if Best Buy or Toys R US had them available easily, I would probably be tempted to grab one at launch.

Man, that's quite disappointing, indeed.

Edit: When I think about it some more, this sounds fishy. They're basing this all on one picture, which looks Photoshopped, to me. To take this seriously, they'd need a source from an official site.

Edit 2: More reasons being:
    -It would be on Gamestop/EB's main page.

-Trading in games takes a lot of work. Their stores would be filled like a land fill.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 06:54:02 AM »

Uh.  Okay, that's shit stupid.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 07:28:00 AM »

Quote from: "Miho"
Edit 2: More reasons being:
    -It would be on Gamestop/EB's main page.

-Trading in games takes a lot of work. Their stores would be filled like a land fill.

GameStop/EB won't offer the same deals online as in the stores. They'd instead advertize bundles that probably cost $500 and destroy Nintendo's price advantage. And they advertize trading in on pretty much /everything/ as it is anyway. Half (or more) of their stores /are/ used games, plus they've got warehouses to ship the crap to should they have too much space. And for whatever it's worth, I found a picture from a secondary source that seems the same, albit just catching a corner. I can look tomorrow at GameStop or something, but some members here may be able to confirm/deny as they work there.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 07:55:32 AM »

This is not confirmed.

Let me clarify something. Since there has been a lot of talk that Eb and Gs will not even be taking PS3 pre-orders since each store will get all of 5, that picture seems a bit bogus. Also, there was talk of doing the same thing for the XBox 360 and it was shot down. The only thing they might do is allow, for that one week, anyone who wants to pre-order use trades. Then open it up to everyone else the following week. That was the tentative talks that occurred a long time ago. There has been NO announcement at EB or GS about doing pre-orders for either system, though.

Way to believe everything you read on an Australian news site! OMG THEY HAVE PICTURES! Fucking photoshop.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 08:01:33 AM »

If that's true, it's fucking stupid.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 12:01:00 PM »

I'm betting (and hoping) EB Canada will be different.

I'm tempted to ask them today.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 12:34:21 PM »

I'm trying to figure out what the hell they would do here in the first place. I'm in Canada, so it's likely it wouldn't apply here anyhow, but in my area, there's a bylaw that prohibits the trading in of games, period. So, what the fuck would they do?

That aside, the entire idea is pretty stupid. I read a comment through the link that summed it up perfectly, "What kind of buisness doesn't accept money?" I mean, sure, they'll make some good money reselling the games, but if people trade in a bunch of shitty games, then they make nothing on them in the end, because no one wants them. It sounds too much like chance, to me.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 01:35:23 PM »

Well, Dagg's comment throws this in doubt. I'll just have to wait and see, but I'll be miffed even if it winds up being some one week deal.

Edit: Actually, I found that out lurking on a forum, and google news'd it and came up with that Australia story, so I posted that.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 01:57:15 PM »

I asked about preordering a Wii about a week and a half ago at the local GameStop and the employee told me they're currently not taking preorders for the Wii or the PS3, and also said it's likely they won't be taking preorders for the PS3 since they will probably only get three or four. He had no idea when and if they'd accept preorders for the Wii.

Regardless, if they are going to accept preorders, I think it is pretty annoying to only accept preorders in the form of used games. Looking at my library, I don't think there are any I would really want to get rid of.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 04:29:05 PM »

I looked at where I originally heard of this, and the guy who got the flyer said he called found out it's exclusive to Hawaii. What the fuck. :P
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 04:45:22 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
I looked at where I originally heard of this, and the guy who got the flyer said he called found out it's exclusive to Hawaii. What the fuck. :P

The thing is...there is no reserve sku in the system yet so they can't pre-order it unless that one store is a test location. Even then this is a bit off.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 04:53:15 PM »

Yeah, may just be a test location. Either way, it's all but completely killed my fear of this being nationwide. I should probably note, actually, that I saw this in a thread at Cheap Ass Gamer.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: