Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 09:47:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338710 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  The Borrowers Arriety.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Borrowers Arriety.  (Read 2488 times)
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:08:07 AM »

This opened in the U.S. a few weeks ago. Anyone see this latest Ghibli movie? It has like a crazy 95% over at Rotten Tomatoes.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:59:10 AM »

I wanna. I'm not a big fan of this stuff but I want to see something new.

I'll probably go alone, I doubt +1 will be interested.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:30:54 AM »

I've only seen one movie alone...totally worth it.

I don't like ghibli much these days, and while i'm curious about this one, i'm not curious enough to spend on it.  Guaranteed i'm missing on some "food gorging" scene and maybe some sorry of magical goop that's been in the last few flicks, and some old woman who they've enjoyed animating since Howl's Moving Castle.

Most people hate my general passing nod of ghibli, they're usually revered otherwise fir someraison.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Perigryn
Infrequent, but still here.

Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 03:23:56 PM »

I've only seen one movie alone...totally worth it.

I don't like ghibli much these days, and while i'm curious about this one, i'm not curious enough to spend on it.  Guaranteed i'm missing on some "food gorging" scene and maybe some sorry of magical goop that's been in the last few flicks, and some old woman who they've enjoyed animating since Howl's Moving Castle.

Most people hate my general passing nod of ghibli, they're usually revered otherwise fir someraison.

I know exactly what you're talking about, but they actually didn't have any of that. The elders look totally different, for one, and there's no real gooping aside from single-drop tiny tea cups.

Honestly, this is my fave film from the studio in a long time. Just saw it the other night with a friend of mine, and we both agree it was gorgeous. The opening moments were wonderful, the backgrounds so luscious and vibrant, and the story was sweet. Great voice-acting by the North American cast, and the music was great. It was weird, the music and backgrounds combined made me really want to play Rune Factory Frontier for some reason. The soundtrack was a nice change from a lot of the usual piano-heavy soundtracks they've had of late, too. And I dunno' if I just failed to notice in the past, but their attention to audio detail was really impeccable in this film. I mean, I have noticed some of the little things since Mononoke, from rain drops on rocks to distant hammering of iron and such, but I feel like they made a concious effort to make it really clear that these little people got into every little detail, and heard the sounds of humans so much bigger, more profoundly. That sounded odd... but hopefully you know what I mean?

Finally, I adore Arietty's family's home. So amazingly cozy.

GO SEE IT!

Just Greg, thanks.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 04:50:41 PM »

I saw it about a month ago when it was on here. I thought it was a nice story, but not up to par with some of the older Ghibli stuff. Arietty is a wonderful character though. The only thing I actually disliked about the movie was the boy's (Sho, I think) English voice acting. Absolutely atrocious.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 05:21:58 PM »

I'm happy to see a good review of it, especially to someone who also thought Ghibli's been kinda weak.
I *will* watch it, just unlikely I'd make too big an effort to pursue it...  I'm sure it'll be better than Ponyo (I freaking hated that movie... fucking Kiki was more entertaining and she delivered dolls to old people).

I kinda wanna see Ghibli do something more adult again.  I'm not a big Ghibli fan, but I do take a lot of it back when I start talking about Princess Mononoke.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 06:31:09 PM »

I'm happy to see a good review of it, especially to someone who also thought Ghibli's been kinda weak.
I *will* watch it, just unlikely I'd make too big an effort to pursue it...  I'm sure it'll be better than Ponyo (I freaking hated that movie... fucking Kiki was more entertaining and she delivered dolls to old people).

I kinda wanna see Ghibli do something more adult again.  I'm not a big Ghibli fan, but I do take a lot of it back when I start talking about Princess Mononoke.

Man what are you talking about? Ponyo was hilarious in the theaters if you were aware that Taken had just come out a short while prior. I spent the better part of that movie expecting Sasuke to call up Ponyo's dad who consequently tells him to return his daughter and bygones will be bygones but that if he doesn't then curbs will be stomped and shits will be wrecked. Granted the rest of the movie was a nice warm feel good snore but it at least had something.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 06:50:04 PM »

Makeup wearing magic man with gigantic wife of the sea, chasing after his underage japanese ariel?

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 11:27:41 PM »

The movie was boring to me. There was no real climax and the main obstacle was closed so easily, plus the ending was just incredibly abrupt. Really made me scratch my head.

Perigryn
Infrequent, but still here.

Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 08:54:18 PM »

I'm not a big Ghibli fan, but I do take a lot of it back when I start talking about Princess Mononoke.

Damn right.

I definitely didn't find it ended as abrupt as Ponyo, though.

Howl's Moving Castle was pretty solid, I found, but again, not up to par with Mononoke, Spirited Away, or Nausicaa and such. They've definitely slipped in recent years. I'm hoping this'll be a show of things starting to move towards being better again in the studio.

Although, a thought has just occurred to me - perhaps our age may have something to do with this as well. As we've gotten older, the simple, childhood audience they've driven has ceased to be us. But hey, I do enjoy them just the same and try not to look too deeply into them.

Just Greg, thanks.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 01:24:19 PM »

Loved watching Arriety.It was silly and light-hearted not to mention astonishingly beautiful to watch.

Not my favorite Ghibli film but it definitely hit the spot.Makes me want to read the book.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: