Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 08:19:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329869 Posts in 13521 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Anyone here ever been "Fifa Hacked" On X Box Live?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anyone here ever been "Fifa Hacked" On X Box Live?  (Read 605 times)
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2012, 11:19:48 AM »

I was a few days ago. Went online to play some Battlefield 3 with friends and a message popped up saying "This account was last logged into by another console". I thought little of it, thinking it was a random flub r something. After a few matches of BF3 I asked my friends if it popped up on their machines. They said no. I went to my dashboard to check things out... the 2,000 MS Points I had were dwindled to zero. Checked my game activity, it showed I had played Fifa 12 and got 3 achievements doing so. I don't care for sports and don't even own the game. I called XBL support and we found out I was indeed hacked and they used my points to purchase consumable Fifa crap they can trade to other people for money. they locked my account while they did an investigation. I called my credit card company and asked for the purchases on my card that day. Sure as hell, someone tried buying 1 20 dollar Fifa thing with my credit car and another 5 dollar one. I was lucky in that Microsoft flagged it for possible fraud. Anyway, I looked online and saw hundreds, if not thousands of people that had the same thing happen. Each and every time it was a Fifa game that was involved. Ot's either Microsoft' or EA's fault, I don't know which one. Maybe both. I never click random redirect crap on the net, never open emails I don't know where they came from, none of that. Believe it or not, I am a lucky one. Microsoft managed to complete my investigation and reinstate my account within a day, but I've heard it can take 3 days and some people over 5 months with no resolution. Some people get their entire profile and gamertag stolen and have it sold overseas, which is called a "migration'. Still others had their credit card info stolen like me, but the thiefs managed to buy hundreds of dollars of stuff, all Fifa game related. So, compared to those people, i was lucky. kotaku and some other 'zines have did articles on this problem, Kotaku saying the problem is getting more and mroe prevalent while EA and Microsoft try and downplay it. In some ways this is actually worse than the PS3 hack as people are directly ripping off customers. One woman who was Fifa hacked started an entire site dedicated to it. Anyway, just wanted to get that out there and see if anyone else had this happen or if they knew of anyone who had it happen.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 12:46:32 PM »

I read about this a few months ago.  It doesn't have anything to do with you clicking on bad links.  It has something to do (memory is fuzzy) with an exploit people use to figure out the email address linked to your gamertag and some strange way to reset the password so they can get into your account.  I can't remember who people were blaming (EA or MS) but they both have known about it for a long time and have done nothing to take steps to prevent it from happening in the future from what I can tell (like you said, they downplay it).  The whole migration thing is pretty bullshit.  They could return the account to you easily after you verify who you are, but they just shrug their shoulders from what I read.

This is pretty much the reason why I don't carry a MSP balance or link a CC to the account.  If you want to use your CC to buy points, that's fine, but make sure to delete the saved CC info immediately after you're finished.

Worst part is getting the money refunded can be difficult.  I don't know if MS refunded your money or not, but I've heard of people complaining that MS wouldn't refund their money.  You could always go to your CC company, but it's possible that they may just refer you to MS because it's a digital purchase.  Even if you do a chargeback, MS might still come after you for the money.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »

You and I both have been had

http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=8623.15
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 01:39:12 PM »

Yeah, I've heard this story more times than I can count. And M$/EA not doing anything/not doing much/being sticklers about refunding you always seems to be a common denominator in these stories. When I got my 360 a couple months ago, the FIFA scam is why I'm going with points and store-bought XBLA Gold cards rather than ever linking a CC, though I'd never linked a CC on my PSN account either.

Like you said Britton, you got (relatively) lucky. I've seen people lose lots of $ to the FIFA hack, it sounds like M$ is slowly coming around if they managed to flag it as fraud so fast.

Because it involves hacking a gamertag and MS Points, I'd put more of the blame on Microsoft than EA. I don't know anything about FIFA games or the shit that gets traded after this or what EA can do about that sort of thing.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 02:07:02 PM »

I read about this a few months ago.  It doesn't have anything to do with you clicking on bad links.  It has something to do (memory is fuzzy) with an exploit people use to figure out the email address linked to your gamertag and some strange way to reset the password so they can get into your account.  I can't remember who people were blaming (EA or MS) but they both have known about it for a long time and have done nothing to take steps to prevent it from happening in the future from what I can tell (like you said, they downplay it).  The whole migration thing is pretty bullshit.  They could return the account to you easily after you verify who you are, but they just shrug their shoulders from what I read.

This is pretty much the reason why I don't carry a MSP balance or link a CC to the account.  If you want to use your CC to buy points, that's fine, but make sure to delete the saved CC info immediately after you're finished.

Worst part is getting the money refunded can be difficult.  I don't know if MS refunded your money or not, but I've heard of people complaining that MS wouldn't refund their money.  You could always go to your CC company, but it's possible that they may just refer you to MS because it's a digital purchase.  Even if you do a chargeback, MS might still come after you for the money.

Well, by "money" do you mean MS Points? Because yeah, MS replaced all the points I had stolen (2,100 points or so). As for real money, they tried to use the card, but weren't able to do so because apparently they tried too many times to use it on the Marketplace and kept getting the expiration date wrong. I will definitely not ever leave a card on there. What sucks is Micrisift is saying that they are getting rid of the MS points system by the end of the year, which will force everyone to use credit cards. If that's the case I will do like what was said in here and put a credit card on, buy what I need, then delete it immediately.

Yoda, sorry to hear you were hacked as well. It's not a good feeling and even though the day I was hacked I could play on my account because they didn't immediately lock down the account, I just didn't have the heart to play. That's another thing. When you call MS and tell them you were hacked like this, they say they're locking your account down until it's resolved. Thing is they don't lock it down right away, it's sometimes 2 days until it's locked down so the hackers can still get in there, and people have been hacked TWICE because they thought their account was locked down right away and it wasn't. The whole thing needs to change. And then you have to figure... why Fifa? I know it's a big game in other countries, maybe some countries where they don't have a lot of money so this income for them or something. Also, if MS is sending all this time on money fixing this, and it was EA's fault, you think they would have had EA fix it last fall when the problems first started popping up. And sorry for starting a new thread. I tried doing a fancy word search for this but a billion things came up

This is just a thought that has been bopping around my brain the last few days. I kept wondering... why is it always FIFA in all of these hacking stories. Then I heard a few people say they were social engineering EA's servers to get info. I didn't know what social engineering was until I read about these cases. Now, I don't own Fifa, but I do own and play other EA games, most notably Battlefield 3 which I have logged almost 200 hours of play. Maybe they did get it off EA's servers since I know at least some of my info is on there when I signed up to play Battlefield online.

kyuusei, yeah... it's mind boggling trying to place blame. I think it's EA's fault like I mentioned above, but then it seems like MS's fault too since when I called they knew what I was talking about right away and said they hired extra staff for "teams" to resove this very problem. Like I said, if they thought it was EA's fault they wouldn't be spending all that time and money themselves to fix things.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 02:25:32 PM »

summary of what happened to me:
charge to my CC for MS-stuff.
I didn't do it
I never directly bought stuff from MS, only used gift card style shit bought from amazon, best buy
the gamertag that stole my shit was some fifa player
I don't think my money was ever refunded to the CC, but my CC company took care of everything.
I like beer.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 03:07:07 PM »

Well, by "money" do you mean MS Points? Because yeah, MS replaced all the points I had stolen (2,100 points or so). As for real money, they tried to use the card, but weren't able to do so because apparently they tried too many times to use it on the Marketplace and kept getting the expiration date wrong. I will definitely not ever leave a card on there. What sucks is Micrisift is saying that they are getting rid of the MS points system by the end of the year, which will force everyone to use credit cards. If that's the case I will do like what was said in here and put a credit card on, buy what I need, then delete it immediately.

Yoda, sorry to hear you were hacked as well. It's not a good feeling and even though the day I was hacked I could play on my account because they didn't immediately lock down the account, I just didn't have the heart to play. That's another thing. When you call MS and tell them you were hacked like this, they say they're locking your account down until it's resolved. Thing is they don't lock it down right away, it's sometimes 2 days until it's locked down so the hackers can still get in there, and people have been hacked TWICE because they thought their account was locked down right away and it wasn't. The whole thing needs to change. And then you have to figure... why Fifa? I know it's a big game in other countries, maybe some countries where they don't have a lot of money so this income for them or something. Also, if MS is sending all this time on money fixing this, and it was EA's fault, you think they would have had EA fix it last fall when the problems first started popping up. And sorry for starting a new thread. I tried doing a fancy word search for this but a billion things came up

This is just a thought that has been bopping around my brain the last few days. I kept wondering... why is it always FIFA in all of these hacking stories. Then I heard a few people say they were social engineering EA's servers to get info. I didn't know what social engineering was until I read about these cases. Now, I don't own Fifa, but I do own and play other EA games, most notably Battlefield 3 which I have logged almost 200 hours of play. Maybe they did get it off EA's servers since I know at least some of my info is on there when I signed up to play Battlefield online.

Yeah, I think it's more Microsoft's fault than anything.  If they are going to a dollar based system instead of a point system, I'm sure there will still be cards available.  They wouldn't cut out that option since there are tons of people who don't have CCs, kids whose parents won't put their CC info into the system, or people buying cards for people's birthdays and such.

As for why Fifa, it's because they have in game tradable cards that give you bonuses/stats/some shit.  I don't know how it works, but I guess there are people willing to pay real money for these things so they buy up the cards (basically DLC) with MS points, transfer them to a selling account, and then sell them to whoever wants to buys them.  I'm pretty sure they get the info from MS.  The only thing they may get from EA is possibly an email address which they then somehow use to reset your XBL/WinID password to gain access to your account.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:09:26 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: