Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 07:13:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327766 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Good non-rpg ps2 game?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Good non-rpg ps2 game?  (Read 5086 times)
MartinMM

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2006, 06:35:53 AM »

I recently bought myself a ps2 to play some of the rpgs i've wanted to play for a long time now. The problem is that i cannot just play one rpg to the end and then start with a new one. I need to play something else in between. I'm a big fan of the GTA series, but i have already played all available GTA games. What must-play non-rpg games exist on the PS2? I have looked around a bit and it seems that i can't find any game that slightly interest me. I dislike all FPS games, i also dislike 3D platformers and fighting games bore me :(. Don't get me started on horror games...

I really have alot of rpgs i want to play but i really need something in between. I need advice :)

/Martin
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 06:44:56 AM »

This won't be ideal if you want something on the shorter side, but Okami will be out next week, and is a Zelda-like game that should be really awesome. The demo was pretty good at least. I'd probably be easier at making suggestions honestly if this was for handhelds and 3D platformers weren't a no-no; I'd definitely recommand the Jak and Ratcher series otherwise. You should at least give Psychonauts a look though.

Some must plays though are Shadow of the Colossus (though you've probably heard of that, and might be too close to a platformer), the Ace Combat series, Katamari Damacy (probably also heard about), and possibly Steambot Chronicles. Some RPG sites, if not all/most cover Steambot Chronicles, but from what I played of the demo, I figure it's only similar in superficial ways, and even if it can be considered an RPG, it's probably not similar enough to matter. Oh, and it's been likened to GTA if it were light hearted and created by Hayao Miyazaki.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 07:55:47 AM »

I second Shadow of the Colossus. It is kind of like a platformer, but only in some elements. You can't really compare it to the Daxter's or Ratchet's!

If you like music/rhythm games, I heartily recommend Gitaroo Man. It's quite short, but very challenging and pretty addictive! A good game to play between longer endeavours.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
MartinMM

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 08:10:53 AM »

Thanks alot for the tips!
I've decided to try out Jak 3. Because if i can learn to appreciate 3D platformers it is like a whole new world will open up for me :).

Katamari Damacy: Everyone seems to like that game, i can't say i understand it, but maybe i have to try it out to understand :) I'll try to get my hands on it.

Shadow of the colossus: It seems to me that it is ...well... slow paced? A gigantic world with 16 enemies. What do you actually do in the game? I've read some of the gamefaqs reviews, but i still cannot understand what the game is about :)

music/rhytm games: I suck to much to enjoy it :)
Tuan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 10:28:27 AM »

Quote from: "MartinMM"
I recently bought myself a ps2 to play some of the rpgs i've wanted to play for a long time now. The problem is that i cannot just play one rpg to the end and then start with a new one. I need to play something else in between. I'm a big fan of the GTA series, but i have already played all available GTA games. What must-play non-rpg games exist on the PS2? I have looked around a bit and it seems that i can't find any game that slightly interest me. I dislike all FPS games, i also dislike 3D platformers and fighting games bore me :(. Don't get me started on horror games...

I really have alot of rpgs i want to play but i really need something in between. I need advice :)

/Martin

Many of the games i would like to suggest you,are from these genres you mentioned(except FPS,i hate them too).
Are you into racing games?Gran Turismo is the only racing game i play(i don't like the genre)and i think it deserves a try even if you are not into that.Try to rent or borrow GT3 or GT4.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 11:18:23 AM »

God of War.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 01:40:38 PM »

Yakuza

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 08:47:49 PM »

I pretty much in agreement with everyone here on their reconmendations. In truth, I have a bit of a hard time figuring out what are some good non-rpg ps2 games since a) I own mainly rpg's b) you don't like 3d platformers, fighters and fps (me too) and c) the good ones got mentioned :P

Anyhow if you do like action games like God of War, give Devil May 3 3 a go too. If you liked or couldn't find Katamari Damacy then there is also We love Katamari. I also suggest Tourist Trophy if you like racing sims or Burnout 3 or Burnout revenge if you like destruction and arcade racing. If you have an xbox and/or an xbox 360 and already have burnout than uhh.... forget that last one :p

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 12:44:10 PM »

i always really enjoyed the ratchet series a lot.  If you go in that direction, i'd pick up the 2nd then the third one (going commando is the 2nd and up your arsenal is the 3rd).

Also Okami is coming out this week and that should be one amazing game.  I can't wait personally.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 12:58:46 PM »

Quote from: "TurnBasedDude"
Anyhow if you do like action games like God of War, give Devil May 3 3 a go too.

If you get Devil May Cry 3, make sure you get the Special Edition - the difficulty level has been significantly reduced so it's actually playable now  (thats a slight exaggeration). And God of War's okay for u, i'd say, but as long as you don't mind doing a hell of a lot of button bashing. Other than that, theres Ico (its not a platformer, its puzzle-based mostly) and plus Metal Gear Solid 2 - don't  know about the third, as I'm not onto that, but MGS2 looked very good when my brother played it. And Beyond Good & Evil is meant to be very good (if you haven't played it on gamecube or xbox).
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 02:17:28 PM »

Unfortunately, in DMC3's case the SE also fails to let you play the original american difficulty right off the bat. Like the first DMC, you have to beat the game to unlock hard mode, and that was what we had. So if you're hardcore/masochistic enough to go and play the game at it's hardest, get the original. By the time you unlock it with SE, you'd have too much experince for it to be the same thing.

If you don't care about difficulty though, just grab the SE. That's got some neat bonuses that aren't in the original release.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 02:17:59 PM »

MGS2 + 3 HIGHLY CONCURRED.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Krelian

pmtome@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 05:06:23 PM »

Gradius V is powerfull xD

Sona mi areru ec sancitu
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 05:09:18 AM »

If you don't already have the GameCube version of it, I'd recommend you to pick up the PS2 port of Resident Evil 4. Great game.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 11:38:02 AM »

Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry - only played the first one - and MGS 2 and 3.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: