Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 09:46:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331572 Posts in 13575 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Phantasia E for Everyone
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Phantasia E for Everyone  (Read 12728 times)
ShiningHero

Lawlerabs

lightbreakerec@hotmail.com Blazeddc
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2006, 06:30:18 AM »

What kind of water down translation will we get? I wonder. So who is looking foward to this game tomorrow? I know most of us have played the original but I've been dieing to play the new translation. This should hold me over till Phantasia Production releases an english patch for the ps1 version.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 08:11:43 AM »

It may be a shock to you, but Arche does NOT fuck like a tiger.

DeJap's translation was just some people letting out their sexual frustration on a slightly suggestive scene, nothing more. If this is anything like Symphonia, allusions to sex will be very, very subtle.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 10:23:42 AM »

I played the dejap one, and did find that boat scene very funny, but of course I didn't think for once that it was a word by word translation. Any japanese speakers here know what it would really translate to?
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 11:04:02 AM »

I can't believe some people still actually think that line was supposed to be a literal translation of the original line.  I have no idea what the line is supposed to be, but it sure wasn't that.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Morridor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 11:31:14 AM »

I just got Tales of Legendia, so I think I'll wait to beat that game before I pick up Phantasia.  But then again, I could use something to play in between classes while I'm at college.  I mean who really does homework between classes!  HA!

Danny

Yeah, this signature was way too spammy.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 12:31:37 PM »

I never played the original so I'm quite curious to play the game that spawned so many games.  I already have it pre-ordered and paid for so I'll be picking it up later in the week, probably along with SH:FTNW.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Dyne

CronoDyne CronoDyne
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 03:14:19 PM »

I hear its too major drawbacks are its translations (Cress and Cless...?) and freamerate issues.  If the latter is true, I would be dissapointed.  I mean, the game is slow enough, but with framerate issues I can just imagine how it would be.

Anyways, I guess we cannot tell untill we actually pick up the game and play it.

Currently Playing:

PS2
- Tales of Legendia
- Grandia III

PSP
- Tales of Eternia

Waiting for...
- Kingdom Hearts II
- Suikoden V
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 03:40:38 PM »

Note: It's not E, it's E10+. Which is what AI2 has with all the same content that the first one had. Plus, yeah, DeJap exagerrated. I think the only significant change will be
Code:
They don't get piss drunk on the boat ride

Edit: Thanks to Hidoshi for pointing out the typo. :P
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 04:03:51 PM »

Its pretty much easy to figure out that the boat scene translated was exagerated, but it was still funny that it would be even there in the first place. I may try this myself to see how it will be copared to the original. I liked it a lot so I have some personal expectations.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 04:14:12 PM »

Cress is probably better. Cress is a type of plant (As is Mint, yeah?). I don't know what a cless is. IF they're not going for some wacky plant motif, Cress just sounds better in english. For a comparison, trying saying "Chliss." Short i and short e are very, very similar. Enough that a lot of languages don't really differentiate, so...

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 04:19:49 PM »

I should also note that for the content, only Fantasy Violence is listed. So we can dash out cursing at all and other stuff, I suspect.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 05:25:07 PM »

An RPG without cursing!?
Blasphemy.

At any rate, my money is going towards Shadow Hears: FtNW tomorrow.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 06:12:18 PM »

Ugh, just because the game doesn't have some fucking douchebag line that was in some unofficial translation, doesn't mean the game will be bad.

OH SHIT.  HE SHOULD HAVE SAID SHIT BUT HE NOW SAYS BOOGER.

WORST GAME EVER OH SHIT.

Pfft.

Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 06:25:47 PM »

I loved DeJap's boat scene because it was just so damn blatantly vulgar.  I knew it had to be creative liberties.  

As for the game itself, I don't think the translation will be bad.  Namco's had a decent track record.  Tales of Destiny and Tales of Symphonia were translated very well and were often funny.  And we're beyond those days of over-kiddified translations when bars and booze were converted into cafe's and tea.  Granted, most of ToP's cast is under 20 anyway (20= legal drinking age in Japan) so they really shouldn't be boozing in the first place:P

The only thing that would worry me about the game is the frame rate, because a choppy frame rate would hinder the battles.  

Heh, I remember in Tales of Destiny when you go through one of the houses in the game, you find a children's fantasy book in some kid's room entitled "Tales of Phantasia" so some kid-safety really is in keeping with the mythos:P  

Oh, and who remembers in ToD when...
Code:
You meet Cress and Arche towards the end of the game and they give you a trivia quiz.  That was cool.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 06:31:06 PM »

Actually, I'm under the impression that Nintendo took it upon themselves to translate the game since Namco wouldn't touch it - and given all their games of the last several years, it should be a damn good translation. :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: