Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 06:49:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334518 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Graces F
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Graces F  (Read 38029 times)
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2012, 07:26:38 AM »

LOL, Tomara, yeah, and meanwhile Hubert and Cheria are small village school children.

Everything's Eventual
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2012, 07:35:34 AM »

Asbel... I'm not sure yet. All I know right now is that I don't like his main outfit. It's like Final Fantasy drank too much and pucked all over him. Actually, that's how I feel about a lot of the designs. Too many (mismatched) colours, too many buckles, too many ribbons... There's just too much going on.

http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=8952.msg226494;topicseen#msg226494
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:00:33 AM by Annubis » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2012, 07:44:27 AM »

Asbel... I'm not sure yet. All I know right now is that I don't like his main outfit. It's like Final Fantasy drank too much and pucked all over him. Actually, that's how I feel about a lot of the designs. Too many (mismatched) colours, too many buckles, too many ribbons... There's just too much going on.

http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=8952.msg226494;topicseen#msg226494

I'm generally not a fan of Mutsumi Inomata.  She does exactly what you described too often.  Sophie's 80s gym gear is not appealing.

Anyways, I made a few comments about it way back when....
Good Inomata Designs - the're few and far between.  I liked Tales of Innocence... they were probably the most tame bunch and looked appropraite to whatever.
But then you get...
http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/talesofrebirth/art-021.jpg (ew neck, let alone face)
http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/tod2/art-002.jpg (anemic, annorexic)
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/10459/718685-farah_large.jpg (green and orange c-c-c-combo, farm girl in a dress and kidz runners)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2012, 09:23:13 AM »

Went for my morning run and getting my chores out of the way so I can enjoy some free time with my new jrpg!

o_o
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2012, 09:28:25 AM »

Ugh yeah, all those starving girls... 41 kilo and 155cm? At the age of 16? That's just not right... It's like they all have toothpicks instead of bones.

Anyway, just finished the kids part. I don't think I like Malik. After 10+ years of voiced JRPG's that voice just screams villain. I doubt he'll turn out to be one of those traitors, but that doesn't mean I want to listen to that voice the whole game. Oh, and he should really buy a new shirt. Pink is not his colour and it clashes to hell and back with the red.

Well, atleast he uses a boomerang. That's kinda cool.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »

Well, after a few hours I have to sing Tales praise.... I also have to admit, when saying I am really loving this title, that I had HIGH expectations for it.... happy to report they have absolutely been met!!

The characters so far have proven lively enough to foster my interest, though its still too early to tell whether the story will yield any real atatchment to this cast for me or not....usually I typically find (as most do) the Tales casts to be pretty generic.... not saying these guys avoid cliche's I just happen to like em WAY more then some other tales characters in contrast (the adyss cast specifically I couldn't stand). Aesthetically I find them pleasing as well. That is, I feel the characters designs are a cut above prior Tales games. This is all very very good for me as characters and aesthics mean ALOT to me in terms of how much I enjoy a title.... sometimes its a dealbreaker...

Speaking of aesthetics, how do I feel about the title visually? Its stunning, is what I think!!! I can't believe I read some reviews where people whined about the graphics! This anme-esque JRPG heavan for me. Its not supposed to, nor should it, look like Assassins Creed. If you like games graphically styled like the Atelier titles (which I do) then this will be a feast for the eyes for you as well. Lush, bright, and anime drippin-out-the-ears-styled art..... I love it...

Gameplay is where I'm really blown away though.... I've been playing on hard, so I can't speak for how things are on lesser difficulties, and it totally forces you to utilize strategic movement to win battles efficiently.. or in some cases, win them at all..... In past tales games, although I had a ton of fun with them, it seemed alot was accomplished with mindless slashing and artes use... NOT so here!! I'm dodging, blocking, sidestepping and switching targets, or I'm dying. It keeps me engaged big time, and while it was a bit much to wrap my mind around initially in the first hour or two, its all gelled togeather to prove to be my favorite battle mechanic of all the tales games thus far! And that is saying something!!

I'm going to reserve saying much about the story, as I'm not deep enough in to feel I can honestly judge it....

To sum it up, as I initially stated, I am huge Tales fan that came with huge expectations... Thus far, this title has succeeded in meeting or beating my hopes for it. I'm really loving it.

Oh and lastly...... I happen to like the opening theme that seems to have turned so many stomachs.... the english singing sounds awkward to me but pleasant at the same time.... I'm weird though... I love hearing the japanese awkwardly sing in english... both the openning and closing theme to "berserk" come to mind.... along with like a dozen incarnations of "Fly me to the Moon" I have procured over time-LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2012, 01:53:25 PM »

Spoiler-Free warning to prevent future headaches for y'all later down the road:

When you earn the 'Poisonproof' title; level it. Asap. Also plug in some Plum Porridge into the Mixer.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:57:08 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2012, 02:01:02 PM »

Digression:

JRPGs -- and many other Japanese games, and anime too -- are in serious danger of fatal zazz saturation.

Some zazz is good to have. Think of it like putting sugar in coffee. A sugar cube or two makes a cup of coffee less bitter, while some zazz adds flavor to a game and its characters. But just like you can ruin coffee by pouring in too much sugar, over-zazzing your game makes it irritating instead of bland. Remember back when anthromorphs with 'tude were in vogue? Sonic's 'tude levels were within acceptable parameters, and it's still hard to deny the appeal of his Sega Genesis incarnations. But then you also have Bubsy the Bobcat, who was pumped full of more focus-group tested 'tude than any single piece of intellectual property should ever be asked to contain, and if anyone actually remembers Bubsy, I'm sure their memories are not pleasant.

Here's an example of the progression of zazz saturation: a timeline of SNK fighting game flagship characters.

Terry and Ryo look like two guys out of a martial arts flick. Iori and K' look like they're from an anime. Alba and Luise look like they're from a Japanese fashion magazine. I understand that with so many other products on the market, designers have to make their franchise and its properties stand out, but it's starting to get ridiculous. Other examples include the gulf between the characters and aesthetics of Mobile Suit Gundam and Gundam SEED, Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) and Shadow the Hedgehog (2001), and to cite a stateside example, the differences between the 2D Prince of Persia titles and The Two Thrones. Style over substance.

- Final Fantasy IV: But I sure do miss the 90's
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2012, 02:19:18 PM »

In regards to one point on Klyde's post... I hate the opening.  Production and animation are awful (there's a really awkward frame with when you see Hubert marching, his hands kinda have trouble wrapping around his outfit).
And the song... it's just kinda sad and "phooey" sounding.  I think I miss the higher energy tunes of Karma and Ring a Bell.

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2012, 02:33:20 PM »

In regards to one point on Klyde's post... I hate the opening.  Production and animation are awful (there's a really awkward frame with when you see Hubert marching, his hands kinda have trouble wrapping around his outfit).
And the song... it's just kinda sad and "phooey" sounding.  I think I miss the higher energy tunes of Karma and Ring a Bell.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing its good..... I'm just saying I like it... LoL... Hence my little explanation of how for some reason I enjoy that awkward "curl your toes and cringe" sort of stuff in J-Pop, J-rock, and anime... No, I don't expect many others would appreciate it though... In any event they made the spell casting look purty, and that I say from a more objective standpoint.

I also want to add (in regard to the game), I've found the dialogue and voice acting to be a cut above as well.... The kids scenario in the beginning doesn't bother me in the least even... and that is remarkable as I usually loathe children in both movies and my RPGs.... Especially that kid in the re-imagined made-for-tv production of "The Shining".... which totally sucked because I LOVE Steven Weber and that movie was more accurate to the book... but now I'm getting off topic..... Anyhow, when they pull off kids without the cheese, I give it a thumbs up.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2012, 02:44:07 PM »

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing its good..... I'm just saying I like it... LoL... Hence my little explanation of how for some reason I enjoy that awkward "curl your toes and cringe" sort of stuff in J-Pop, J-rock, and anime... No, I don't expect many others would appreciate it though...

I understand what you're coming from. There's nothing wrong with some awkward English, in a way it can be kind of endearing, but I think it only works in fun songs with a lot of energy (totally listening to Let's Go Gekiganger 3! right now). The Graces song is, like Dice said, just kinda sad and blah. And sure, BoA's singing in English, but there's no confindence in it.

Anyhow, when they pull off kids without the cheese, I give it a thumbs up.

That's true. And they seem to grow up into decent adults as well. I just don't like looking at them. The graphics are great, but the actual designs are too over the top.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 02:58:20 PM by Tomara » Logged
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2012, 02:46:04 PM »

Just finished the "child" portion. I really enjoy this so far, but I admit it will be interesting to see how I feel in 20 or so  hours. I want this to be great so bad I have to wonder if my judgement will be clouded....
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 03:02:38 PM by Bytor » Logged

Everything's Eventual
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2012, 02:59:07 PM »

Other examples include the gulf between the characters and aesthetics of Mobile Suit Gundam and Gundam SEED, Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) and Shadow the Hedgehog (2001), and to cite a stateside example, the differences between the 2D Prince of Persia titles and The Two Thrones. Style over substance.

- Final Fantasy IV: But I sure do miss the 90's

I think Xillia's Milla fits this to a tee, it's hard to make her look lovely or even cool when she's such a mess of features, and this goes beyond her gigantic quantity of hair.  ...at least I say that till Inomata made Leia's design which is... surprisingly elegant.  What the fuck.... who in Bamco commisioned the whore-chic?

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2012, 03:28:19 PM »

Oh hi there Pascal. I didn't know the NISA coop group gave you the rights to use Neptune's and IF's love child in the game. XD

(She's not a bad character; but good lord there's is absolutely no denying she's pretty much those two characters fused.)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2012, 04:00:10 PM »

That time skip, haha.
I feel like I'm suddenly getting a good hold on the battle system, attacks and evasions becoming smooth, then suddenly, they double the amount I have to deal with.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but those first few battles - they were terrible, re-getting to know everything.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: