Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 12:47:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327557 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Reboot over Remake: RPG Style
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Reboot over Remake: RPG Style  (Read 2285 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2012, 11:01:10 AM »

So; had a question that popped into my mind the other day I felt like asking to see what others thought on the subject.

How would you feel if the video game industry started 'rebooting' old RPGs rather than merely 'remaking' them?

I'm not quite sure what to think on that personally. You have like ye-olden bare bones RPGs from the early days that could sorely use a reboot, rather than a fresh coat of paint, in order to work out kinks in the character personalities, update the battle systems to newer/fresher conventions, expand the story beyond "This guy is bad, go kill him or the world will end.", ect. But then you run into those weird areas where rebooting would 'improve' the over all quality of the narrative would definitely draw fire from the original fanbase (I.E: Imagine FFV rebooted as a 'nitty gritty' story for a moment. XD Scary huh?)

Not really a suggestion for where the industry should go mind you. Just with the film industry rebooting everything left and right and the gaming industry making HD/3D remakes all the new rage...it makes you wonder what would happen if the horses swapped streams.
Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:04:26 AM »

The way I feel is this

If a game has never been localized in a particular region before. A port or an enhanced port is just fine.

A remake should only happen if at least 10 years pass

A reboot happens when they run out of ideas
neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 11:46:17 AM »

I think new IPs are important and should be emphasized, not reboots or remakes
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 01:16:08 PM »

I can't say that I remember seeing an RPG franchise being rebooted. But a reboot makes me fear that they will take a renowned RPG franchise and will change it into something completely different from what it was before making every fan of the classics titles annoyed, confused and/or angry in the process.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 01:20:34 PM »

I applauded Breath of Fire Vs sort-of series reboot.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 01:22:05 PM »

Sounds like you are really talking "update" to "remake", not reboot. Reboot is taking an old IP and creating a totally new game that clears the original timeline. What you're talking about is an old game that's fleshed out and changed enough that it becomes something substantially different from the original.

The one thing I will say in defense of remakes is that more often then not, they're really quite good. Metroid Zero Mission is my favorite example. It's really a new game from the ground up, built off an old game that hasn't aged well. I think you can do a lot with a remake, especially to a game from the era of, "no plot, no characters, no non-gameplay elements, just go save the world".
"

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 03:37:06 PM »

I can't say that I remember seeing an RPG franchise being rebooted. But a reboot makes me fear that they will take a renowned RPG franchise and will change it into something completely different from what it was before making every fan of the classics titles annoyed, confused and/or angry in the process.
Final fantasy?
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 08:16:26 PM »

I am disappoint that this thread wasn't actually talking about an RPG style remake of that PSX Reboot game.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 10:19:29 PM »

Does that really count as a reboot? The games were never really connected at all other than the protagonist's name.

As for a reboot.....it would depend on the series. We've seen how the reboot for Suikoden went.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 10:30:07 PM »

rpgs really dont reboot
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 10:47:52 PM »

Sounds like you are really talking "update" to "remake", not reboot. Reboot is taking an old IP and creating a totally new game that clears the original timeline. What you're talking about is an old game that's fleshed out and changed enough that it becomes something substantially different from the original.

I think he's taking the angle of stuff like the new Battlestar Galactica: take the original concept, maybe some of the original characters and whatnot, then do them over again as if it were a new production. For video games Silent Hill: Shattered Memories provides a good example.

I think it'd be interesting to see reboots of older RPGs, assuming they can do them justify. Something like Phantasy Star could be interesting at least.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 11:46:20 PM »

I've always thought Legend of the Dragoon would be great remake material.
There would be a ton of things to scrap or redo completely, but the core is pretty solid.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 01:22:17 AM »

Does that really count as a reboot? The games were never really connected at all other than the protagonist's name.

As for a reboot.....it would depend on the series. We've seen how the reboot for Suikoden went.
Well, truthfully, BoF1-4 were one connected timeline, which I believe went 4, 1, 2, 3. Dragon Quarter basically eschewed the whole thing.

I also agree that it depends on the series; Suikoden hasn't ridden the reboot train well.

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 12:07:45 PM »

The one RPG remake that I think was unarguably a good idea was Final Fantasy III. Say what you will about the game itself, the remake ensured that it would make its way over here. Granted, they could have updated it a little more, you know, like a save point in the two hour final dungeon, but Final Fantasy III was otherwise totally unavailable in North America and probably very difficult to find legally in Japan.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 12:46:10 PM »

Well, truthfully, BoF1-4 were one connected timeline, which I believe went 4, 1, 2, 3. Dragon Quarter basically eschewed the whole thing.

I also agree that it depends on the series; Suikoden hasn't ridden the reboot train well.

Gameplay wise.  Why the fuck is everyone here so story-oriented?!  Anyways, how is it *not* a reboot?

Breath of Fire V was easily a big departure anyways.  You attacked your enemies for the headsup, walked the battlefield, traveled "up" the world instead of across it, couldn't fish, you mined with ants[?], Ryu spoke, Nina didn't and technically didn't have wings... basically it combined capcom's survival-horrors with RPG -- I mean, your fucking saves were limited.

I can't remember if they said V *does* take place in the same timeline or world... but, I mean, it doesn't really matter since there was no real proof in-game.  Basically, all it had the same was Dragons and Gooeys, and a blonde and a blue-nette.... and a term like "zenny".

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: