Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 05:20:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341083 Posts in 13940 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  GBA and DS guidance needed, absolutely no experience with these handhelds...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: GBA and DS guidance needed, absolutely no experience with these handhelds...  (Read 2996 times)
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2012, 05:33:06 PM »

Alrighty folks, so I need some suggestions here.... I never delved into the world of the Game Boy Advance, nor the DS, because I can't do little handheld screens... or at least I couldn't... That all changed last night!!

After I finished up doing a tattoo I felt extremely tuckered out.... didn't want to draw or anything... so I fired up the PSP and for the first time, played NOT connected to a TV..... I LOVED IT!!! Its like a whole different experience..... I've been gaming for 2 decades and never entertained handhelds unless I could hook em up to the TV... could you believe it?

So now onto the matter at hand.....

I am completely dumb when it comes to DS and GBA..... all I know is there are waaaaay to many good RPG's to weed through and I after browsing some lists online, I realized that A) I need guidance and B) Your guys advice is gonna prove better then the piss-poor "best of" lists I get on a google search.....

So here is what I need to know...

A. What model DS should I get? A lite with backward compatability?..... or should I skip the GBA stuff and go right for the DS titles exclusively and get an XL or something.....

B. I like JRPGS.... anyone who has seen my posts knows I have a sort-of specific taste... specific as in I DO NOT LIKE WRPGs...... adore bright-bubbly-anime styled crap, not dungeons and dragons. Also, for those being specific here, I love your action/RPGS and SRPGS just the same as your standard turn based stuff.. The 16-bit and 32-bit era of JRPG's was my hayday.... I'm a child of the "Secret of mana", "earthbound", "final Fantasy vi" time frame, segwaying right into your classic PS RPGs like "Suikoden" and whatnot.

C. Lastly, anyone helping me out by way of suggestion can skip games that have been released on other platforms as my knowledge and experience is adequate to vast on most fronts.... Additionally there is no need to suggest Radiata Historie (I already know I'm grabbing this one) or any Final Fantasy re-release or re-make. Thus it is more or less the exclusive titles I need some guidance with.

Thank you ahead of time, as you guys never let me down when I need direction :)

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 05:49:27 PM »

You are talking to a man who owns at least 3 versions of each portable ever made.

I think I can help you

First buy a ds lite. You can play gba and ds titles

Here are 5 choices from each sub category. If you want more let me know

ds

SRPG
final fantasy tactics advance 2
valkyrie profile covenant
lunimous arc 1,2,3
front mission 1
devil survivor 1,2

regular
Any pokemon game
golden sun 3
mario and luigi 2,3
nostalgia
radiant historia

Action
Tales of innocence or hearts
the world ends with you
blood of bahamut
ff crystal chronicles
solatorobo

Misc

knights in the knightmare - bullet hell srpg
inazuma eleven - sports rpg
any of the 3 castlevanias - platforming rpgs

The GBA top 10 favorite list

tactics ogre lodis
ff tactics advance
final fantasy VI
dragon quest monsters caravan
black/matrix 00
mario and luigi superstar saga
pokemon emerald
pokemon mystery dungeon red
golden sun 1,2
megaman battle network series
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 07:32:05 PM »

Calling it now - Matrix = VampiricDragon.

Not much I can really recommend that you don't already know about Chroma.  Maybe look at Neal's review of Black Sigil?

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 07:33:56 PM »

who?, I am just a handheld lover :)

Nothing gives me a bigger thrill when someone starts handheld gaming for the first time and I can give them picks
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:36:53 PM by Matrix » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 07:41:09 PM »

blood of bahamut

Wait. That one never came out in America or Europe and the ones that imported the game said it was very underwhelming, not to mention that it has one of the weakest soundtracks from Naoshi Mizuta.

There's like literally two memorable tracks in the entire album. And the album has 34 tracks...
Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 07:50:15 PM »

I slipped it in there because I liked it. It is controversial though

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 08:20:56 PM »

Calling it now - Matrix = VampiricDragon.
I'm getting that same vibe...good call.

I'll agree to the ds lite, especially since it'll play your gba titles just fine. Skip the dsi, waste of time, though 3ds is "starting" to look playable (no megaman legends 3 means no purchase for me yet) and it'll do everything the dsi did and then some. As for games, there are very few bad ds rpgs. Honestly, take a benjamin with you and hit the ds used section at lamestop, you'll have plenty of good, fun titles for under 10 bucks to play with. Hell it'll probably keep you busy til the end of the spring if you game as hard as I do. Couple recommendations i'd shoot you are Lufia Curse of the sinistrals, Castlevania "every ds version available", Chrono Trigger if you haven't played any of em yet, same for ffiv, maybe ffiii though I haven't yet, dragon quest  iv v vi and ix for some old school awesomeness, and DEFINITELY MOST DEFINITELY Radiant Historia. Hell fuck every other game on my list and get Radiant Historia first, best ds game I probably played in 5 years. Well worth the time invested.

Gba wise, I can't recommend as much, maybe the ff remakes as you find em, and any zelda games (before they all went to touchscreen hell). I really hate the idea of having to tell you this, but mother 3 WHICH ISN'T AVAILABLE IN THE U.S. BUT MOTHER FUCKING SHOULD BE!!!!!!!!!!! is a great gba game.

Damn dude, you shoulda been on a handheld way long ago, you missed out on a lot of good times.

TASTY!
Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 08:24:06 PM »

in reality theres too many to accurately list.

My final suggestion would be go to gamefaqs.com

Go to the DS or gba page

Sort by rpg

and then go down the list of titles
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 08:36:28 PM »

I like my DSi XL because of the big screens. 

If you can get jiggy with a chaotic battle system, The World Ends With You is a good game.  Since you're into aesthetics, you'll appreciate the street style art and some of the monsters that resemble tattoo art (i.e. there are these funky bears whose claws look like tribal tattoos). 

You won't regret Radiant Historia. 

I'll second the mention of Solatorobo.  It's definitely got the bright anime thing going.  I enjoyed it a lot. 

If you're into graphic adventures, Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk are great.  I particularly like the pencil drawings of the characters in Hotel Dusk.  Although not a great visual novel, I really like the art style in Time Hollow. 

Except for Hotel Dusk, I have reviews of all those games up if you want more details. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 08:39:08 PM »

I like my DSi XL because of the big screens. 

If you can get jiggy with a chaotic battle system, The World Ends With You is a good game.  Since you're into aesthetics, you'll appreciate the street style art and some of the monsters that resemble tattoo art (i.e. there are these funky bears whose claws look like tribal tattoos). 

You won't regret Radiant Historia. 

I'll second the mention of Solatorobo.  It's definitely got the bright anime thing going.  I enjoyed it a lot. 

If you're into graphic adventures, Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk are great.  I particularly like the pencil drawings of the characters in Hotel Dusk.  Although not a great visual novel, I really like the art style in Time Hollow. 

Except for Hotel Dusk, I have reviews of all those games up if you want more details. 

I didn't even think Solatorobo. That was definitely a different experience wrapped in a nostalgic shell. It felt like I did it before for the first time...kind of like playing a new zelda game, lol.

TASTY!
Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 08:43:41 PM »

solatorobo is the spiritual sequel of a psx action rpg

and its pretty good

a solid 8 game.

FYI I would of recommended the XL, but he said he wanted to play gba games too.........

also an under rated title but I really enjoyed the blue dragon rts/rpg
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 08:55:31 PM »

If you're into graphic adventures, Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk are great.  I particularly like the pencil drawings of the characters in Hotel Dusk.  Although not a great visual novel, I really like the art style in Time Hollow.  

I just remembered Lux-Pain.  It's a visual novel with a cool story but a terribad localization and some clunky gameplay.  I quite liked the aesthetics.  Not my favorite in the genre, but I liked it.  

I definitely recommend 9 Persons 9 Hours 9 Doors as far as DS visual novels go.  

Although not recommendations for Klyde, in terms of anime RPGs, I was pleasantly surprised that the Naruto: Path of the Ninja games were actually good.  Path 2 was better because it had more playable characters and a plotline not in the manga or anime; Path 1 was merely a summarization of the first couple of seasons.  On the other hand, InuYasha: Secret of the Divine Jewel was utter garbage.  That is to be expected of license-based games, though.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 09:04:25 PM »

Don't forget the Super Robot Taisen games that were localized here. OG1 and OG2 for GBA and (deep breath) Super Robot Taisen Original Generation Saga Endless Frontier for DS. The first two are turn based strategy and the third is a jRPG with an interesting battle system and an obsession with double entendres. If that doesn't bother you, it's actually really good.
Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 09:12:48 PM »

another gba gem

the summon night 1 and 2 side games

talesish battle system
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 09:16:26 PM »

I agree with most listed, pretty much some of the best...having said that here are some of the others...Magical Starsign, Summon Night Twin Age, Avalon Code and Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer

and Dincrest is absolutely correct, Hotel Dusk is really nice as was Zendervai concerning SRT OG Saga Endless Frontier!

Everything's Eventual
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: