Author Topic: Blades of Time  (Read 3779 times)

Lard

• View Profile
Blades of Time
« on: March 08, 2012, 10:10:51 PM »
So.....anyone heard of this?

I hadn't until today. Apparently it is a reboot of X-Blades.

Konami, in their usual wisdom, has done nothing to promote it.

Apparently the producer of the game can't even find it in retail

http://www.destructoid.com/blades-of-time-s-producer-can-t-find-his-own-game-223465.phtml
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
Re: Blades of Time
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 11:22:40 PM »
I have seen this game since it was announced, saw the news in Siliconera not too long ago. I didn't expect seeing it on sale already.

Anyways. Poor Tak Fuji, the man seems stuck doing games that not much people care about or know that exist. Is nothing new seeing Konami acting like assholes though. Hell! I know about them because of that. :p

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 01:11:15 AM »
I've heard impressions were "good" but I was genuinely wondering whether somebody here was going to review it.

cj_iwakura

• Wayfarer of the Time
  • Counting The Sheep
    • View Profile
    • Iwakura Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 09:32:21 AM »
Pretty sure this is just an action game, but I could be wrong.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 04:13:13 PM »
Pretty sure this is just an action game, but I could be wrong.

You might be right.

Sorry about that, I think that I was thinking this was a sequel to Cross Edge.

I was getting my games mixed up.

Mym

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 11:30:24 AM »
Wait, so Konami bought the IP? I know the first game was created by a Russian developer, but the article makes it sound like Konami actually developed this one themselves. Interesting. If kind of surprising, being that the first one was apparently horrible, and didn't seem to have anything particularly unique or innovative about it that would merit purchasing the rights to make a sequel.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 12:33:53 PM »
Believe it or not the first game has it's fans. Fans that were actually kinda annoyed that this new game looked so different and less shitty, you know, the usual stuff.

Matrix

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 12:53:48 PM »
well i never heard of it

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 03:43:11 PM »
Wait, so Konami bought the IP? I know the first game was created by a Russian developer, but the article makes it sound like Konami actually developed this one themselves. Interesting. If kind of surprising, being that the first one was apparently horrible, and didn't seem to have anything particularly unique or innovative about it that would merit purchasing the rights to make a sequel.

The same Russian company handled development. Konami produced and published the game.

X-Blades was certainly a bad game (and was poorly ported to consoles to boot), but I recall being impressed with the developer's technical competence. Eastern European games are often reputed to be broken, with studios sometimes kicked off after several months of production. However, Gaijin delivered a smooth (albeit simple) 3D engine that ran well, responded well, and boasted a workable camera. It wasn't AAA quality, but the foundation was solid enough.

I suppose that someone at Konami thought that with some design oversight, they could squeeze out a new action game at low cost.

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 05:05:48 PM »
I was actually rather curious about X-Blades until it seemed the developers were dead set of taking a decent character design and trashing it with crappy clothing; so I passed entirely. Looks like BoT's going into the same bin for the same reasons.