Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 08:20:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332910 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Interesting editorial on the Wii.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Interesting editorial on the Wii.  (Read 3330 times)
Murdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2006, 04:58:39 PM »

http://gameinformer.com/News/Story/200609/N06.0915.1324.09291.htm

It's interesting that the Gamecube won best of show, same as the Wii, but I never considered the Gamecube a failure. I still play mine all the time.

Discuss.

Hell, i'll even add a poll.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 05:07:36 PM »

Didn't look at the URL yet, just voted. But I'd prefer an 'unsure' option, as this isn't too easy to predict. The internet reception is good, at the least, but that's only a fraction of the potential audience.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 06:25:53 PM »

I'll admit I follow Nintendo consoles with hesitation, but despite my original misgivings about the Wii, too many developers are completely engrossed in the Wii for it to be a failure.

While it will follow the DS at first with game designs and ideas that are pretty much very gimmicky, this is in no way a bad thing. Abusing it into a gimmick is what lets developers play with the system and understand how it works to make best use of its potential.

Personal opinion, Wii = virtual weight loss machine. Get kids totally into the Wii dancing around and going fucking nuts on a Wii, you'll see child hood obesity in America scale downward. Nintendo is saving the world, oh what a wonderful company they are~

For some complete and total speculation, the creator of Beyond Good and Evil (Total sex btw) had an omg cryptic statement regarding a sequel to the game. Now consider that Ubisoft totally MASTURBATES over the Wii. I don't think I could ever stop playing BGE if it were on the Wii.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 07:29:03 PM »

I just realized that I think I accidentally voted for Yes, not No. Whoops. :P

Oh man, I'd really love to have a BG&E on the Wii. Even though I felt it was stupidly  overrated, I'd gladly play the sequel when/if it comes out.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 12:56:53 AM »

The author of the article had quite an accurate observation on Nintendo's past endeavors and future outlook. I'll be frank, if Nintendo doesn't get the third party developers to put sweat and blood into *original titles*, then they may as well throw in the towel for a third time. But then again, I'm starting to believe it's hopeless to compete with the Playstation brand, when you have every developer and their grandmother creating fresh, new titles for it.

Of course, Nintendo doesn't seem to care, to compete with the Playstation anymore, judging from their attitude now. To be perfectly honest, I don't think we'll ever see a whole bunch of original third party titles on Nintendo consoles, as long as the Playstation exists.

Edit: It's too early to set Wii's fate in stone, just yet....we'll have to wait until 2007 comes around, to get a clearer picture.
thinkfreemind

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 01:15:51 AM »

I read that article earlier and I see his point. However; I am a Nintendo fan, which means that nothing will keep me from getting a Wii. I am not getting a Wii this year though, as there are too many games to buy right now for current systems. Come tax refund time though, I can safely say that Nintendo will be getting all of that money.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 03:26:43 AM »

Same here. No matter how nervous I get for their next console, I always put down cash for it.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 06:40:19 AM »

Read it. I saw this before, but only read segments of it, but now I read it all. He makes excellent points, and I fear he may be right. The DS is flying off the shelves, but Iwata's taken a realistic stance that, even though the DS is an insane success, there's the possibility that the Wii simply won't be. Nevertheless, it's dodging the pitfalls of being too expensive to have games for like the N64, and it's different enough to stand out from the other consoles, unlike the GC- all that really had was an attractive, but not significantly lower pricepoint, and a funny button layout. We'll See, I guess.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 01:43:44 PM »

I'm sold on the Wii, and I have been perfectly satisfied with my GameCube, and was perfectly satisfied with the N64. Admittedly most of my satisfaction comes from Nintendo's first party titles, but they're usually so fun I consider one or two of them to be worth the purchase of a system. I definitely think Twilight Princess and the virtual console will be worth the purchase of a Wii. And need I mention Super Smash Bros. in 2007?
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 01:46:59 AM »

As of late, pretty much the only games I'm playing besides Madden on the PC are for the GameCube and N64.

I can still play Perfect Dark for hours on end, I'm debating re-playing Mario 64, and my friends and I love playing Day of Reckoning, SSB:M, and Fight Night Round 2 on the Cube.

Yeah, I'm gonna get a Wii.

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 07:40:34 AM »

Yeah, tell me about it. Perfect Dark was a solid-ass game only hampered by the N64's abilities for processing. Frame rate got kind of bad when you started jacking off with SMGs and explosives.

Still love Perfect Dark to death, and would go freakin' nuts if Perfect Dark was up ons Virtual Console. I wonder if the license to the game still belongs to Nintendo, so Microsoft doesn't throw a fit.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 03:12:38 PM »

While I hold hope for Goldeneye, Perfect Dark must belong to Rare itself - if it didn't, PDZ's existance must be a legal nightmare. We could always hope that Microsoft's feeling generous and lets Rare and Nintendo work it out, or at least puts it up on their own service.
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 11:00:12 PM »

I think the ultimate fate of the Wii will be decided by the Playstation 3.  If that console crashes and burns (which is my hope, the company needs to be humiliated), the Wii has an opening it can exploit.  With the X Box 360 receiving a frosty reception in Japan, Nintendo would have the opportunity to grab a large slice of market share in Japan.  If they can manage that, then they should be able to get a large amount of support from Japanese software developers.

If they can sell well on this side of the Pacific, they should be able to find success.  I do think that their fate will be tied to Sony to a certain extent, though.  If that console becomes a hit both Nintendo and Microsoft are fucked.

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 07:56:23 AM »

Honestly, I quit playing video games about a year ago, but between the DS and the Wii, I might make a return. I'd probably pick up the DS because I really like handhelds.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 03:18:56 PM »

am i the only that feels nintendo is alienating a lot of people.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: