Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 10:47:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327601 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Question about Suikoden
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Question about Suikoden  (Read 2910 times)
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2012, 01:57:41 PM »

So after I completed Grandia 2 I decided to move onto Suikoden (the first game) to complete. I'm having trouble understanding what runes are/do and whats the point of attaching them to a weapon. Also I understand their are different types of runes? Please explain thanks
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 01:59:53 PM »

Different runes have different effects. Some allow you to cast spells when equipped on characters, others give increased abilities to your weapons. Some spell runes double as both, giving elemental affinities to your weapons, or allowing you to cast spells, but not both.

Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 02:01:41 PM »

they are very similar ability modifiers
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 02:08:46 PM »

But how could you tell what is what? For example under the main character under Rune it says soul eater in the first box the second box says deadly fingertips with a 3 all the way to the right and when I press X on the character it makes a sound that sounds like a duck. Under items under some characters I have a thunder rune piece and a wind rune piece but I can't use them at a blacksmith. What the heck is up with that? Does the game explain runes later on or no? I'm only about 3 hours in by the way
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 02:12:59 PM »

I'm unsure if it's in the manual, but:

Under runes, those are the runes the character has equipped. The main character now has the Soul Eater Rune equipped. Magic works a little differently in this game; you have MP for level 1, 2, 3, and 4 spells, with a max of 9 MP for each level, but with most characters only getting a few uses for the later levels. Right now you have 3 level 1 MP for Deadly Fingertips.

The rune pieces are used to forge a whole rune once you have a certain number of each type, I believe.

Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 02:13:54 PM »

^ thats correct. Let me find my manual for the first game

The Rune command is used to cast magic spells. First, select a character
with magic ability. The available Runes will be displayed. Highlight the
Rune you wish to use and select it with the X Button. Certain Runes - such
as the Fire and Water Runes - can be used after they have been lodged in
the character's body.

There are four levels of magic
    spells, each requiring a different
     amount of Magic Points. The highest
        level that can be used by a character
     will be decided by that character's
  magic ability. Character's with low
     magic ability can only cast low-level
   spells, until their magic ability
        increases. After using a magic spell
  once, the number of points required
        for that spell will be subtracter
       from the characters total Magic
        Points. When a character's Magic
     Point total reaches zero, that
      character cannot cast any more
    spells. Magic Points can be restored
                          by resting at inns.

Note: By taking a Crystal to a Rune Master, characters can have the Master
embed the spell of a Rune in their body. A character cannot cast a spell
without the Rune and without taking its spell into his or her body.
Crystals can be obtained in fights with monsters or can be found in
treasure chests.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:16:09 PM by Matrix » Logged
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 02:59:12 PM »

The purpose of the Rune command is to allow you to use healing spells outside of battle, as well as to let you see how many charges you have left of that spell. Greyed out spells such as Deadly Fingertips basically mean that they're in battle only (or you're out of charges). Unfortunately the game doesn't do a very good job of telling you what each spell or command does, but I do recall spells having in battle descriptions that'll help give you an idea on what they can do. At the very least many runes and spells are fairly obvious in their function (Fire Rune casts fire magic, Soul Eater has a number of instant death attacks, Water uses healing magic, ect...).

To help you along here's some pointers:

Runes with element sounding names like Fire, Water, Lightning, ect.... are spell runes. Give these to characters with high magic scores aka casters or supporting characters who aren't really good at attacking.

Runes with animal sounding names like Boar and others are attack runes. They typically have only one function that lets its user use a special attack. Fighters tend to have these and some are character exclusive (but not all, like the Boar rune).

Runes with odd sounding names either fall into two separate categories; special effect runes or special attack runes. Runes like Holy and Sunbeam have special effects (allows you to dash and heals its bearer respectfully) whereas runes like Clone and Trick are also special attacks like the Boar rune. These can typically go on whomever though those who come with them should probably keep them.

And then there's one other set of runes that are basically high powered versions of the standard spell runes that magic users basically have dibs on since they offer a new fourth level spell in place of the old first level spell (effectively giving you access to spell levels 2-5 instead of levels 1-4).

Embedding adds effects to your character without taking up that character's rune slot. Standard elemental ones add an effective element to your weapon. Fortunately weapon elements only consider if the enemy is weak to that particular element and do not reduce a character's damage output if they attack an enemy that resists that particular element. This however does not apply to elemental spells as there are many enemies that can mitigate or nullify elemental spell damage. They can also add additional effects like Water runes healing your character for a small amount at the start of every turn or Fire runes adding an additional fire attack following your attack (which can be resisted), additionally you can stack up to nine runes onto one weapon as long as they are the same type to increase the effect of the supplemental effect (more Water runes increases the amount you heal by per turn, more Fire runes increase the amount of damage the additional fire attack does, ect...). However once you embed a rune onto a weapon it's gone for good although you can embed a separate rune onto a weapon with a rune already embedded onto it to overwrite the old rune so you don't have to worry too much about screwing yourself over.

And finally, rune pieces that with attribute names like Magic, Skill, Luck, ect.... are used like consumables that'll add a point to a character's respective stat. I think elemental rune pieces also fall into this category which is why you can't attach them to your weapons, but it has been a while since I last played this game and this is all off the top of my head.

Anyways, hope this helps.

E:f,b.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 10:17:52 PM »

Yeah I forgot I made this topic. Anyway, do runes run out? what's the number next to them and why do they go down? also during battle once in a while the rune command is still blacked out even though a character has it equipped....doesn't really make sense
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 11:12:40 PM »

Runes don't run out.

I don't know what the numbers are, which menu are you looking at?

Some runes are blacked out because they have no spells to be used, they only confer a standard enhancement like 1.5x ATK or something.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 01:01:10 AM »

At three hours in the only thing you should want to know about runes is that characters with high Magic stats want runes more than those with low Magic stats, that you have to go to rune shops to have runes equipped or unequipped to your characters, and that you have to sleep at an inn to refresh your MP charges.

Copy pasta-ing my previous post from the other thread because the other thread got locked and it is still relevant to the topic at hand.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 05:05:51 AM »

Absolutely. In most Suiko games there are about 5-10 'stars' who are dedicated magic users (such as Luc) and will gain far more benefit from the top tier magic runes. In terms of physical enhancing runes there are a few that are almost game-breaking in their effectiveness but sometimes it's possible to miss their drops and not be able to backtrack to farm them at a later point (such as the awesome Double Beat in Suikoden 2).
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 10:50:05 AM »

Absolutely. In most Suiko games there are about 5-10 'stars' who are dedicated magic users (such as Luc) and will gain far more benefit from the top tier magic runes. In terms of physical enhancing runes there are a few that are almost game-breaking in their effectiveness but sometimes it's possible to miss their drops and not be able to backtrack to farm them at a later point (such as the awesome Double Beat in Suikoden 2).

Except that Double Beat isn't exactly a missable rune given that it shows up several times throughout the game and that you can grind for them at the very end of the game. What's most important to remember about Suki I is to not worry about that stuff at all. Outside of a window set, a sound set, two different items needed for recruits half way through the game, and antiques you don't need to worry about enemy drops. Just go and do your best.

Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »

Several as in 2 times before end game and only 1 guaranteed? Hmmmm.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 04:02:36 AM »

Long story short,
There are two types of runes:

Active runes - that have usable spells.
  • each active rune should have four tiers of spells
  • the number next to an active rune spell (deadly fingertips is a souleater spell) is the remaining amount of times a character can cast the spell in that tier (up to nine charges) before needing to recharge (by sleeping if I remember right).
  • The amount of times a spell can be cast depends on the user NOT the rune.
  • Some active spells can be used outside of battle (like healing spells), most of them are only accessible during a fight.

Passive runes - that give you some kind of buff or bonus (eg. start each battle with sleep status, gain berserk when woken up).
  • Shards attach to weapons, and are usually passive.

Some runes can only go in certain slots. Read their descriptions to find out what they do and where they go.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:21:54 AM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 04:58:26 AM »

Long story short,
There are two types of runes:

Active runes - that have usable spells.
  • each active rune should have four tiers of spells
  • the number next to an active rune spell (deadly fingertips is a souleater spell) is the remaining amount of times a character can cast the spell in that tier (up to nine charges) before needing to recharge (by sleeping if I remember right).
  • The amount of times a spell can be cast depends on the user NOT the rune.
  • Some active spells can be used outside of battle (like healing spells), most of them are only accessible during a fight.

Passive runes - that give you some kind of buff or bonus (eg. start each battle with sleep status, gain berserk when woken up).
  • Shards attach to weapons, and are usually passive.

Some runes can only go in certain slots. Read their descriptions to find out what they do and where they go.

Listen to the guy with the Suikoden Avatar. He knows what he's talking about.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: